News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

HBO GO

Started by VDB, February 13, 2013, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

TAKE OFF YOUR MASK
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

that was such a great show/season.
i wanna make flowers all over the yellow kings sister.

emay

wish i had hbo go :(

rowjimmy

Quote from: mbw on March 10, 2014, 10:42:41 AM

Not sure what the hell you're talking about but I hope this is a euphemism that means what I think it means and I intend to use it as such.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 10, 2014, 03:19:57 PM

Not sure what the hell you're talking about but I hope this is a euphemism that means what I think it means and I intend to use it as such.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gainesvillegreen

Only means Terry has lowered his standards. Precipitously.

Seeing some neg reviews about the finale, which is a bit surprising, I thought it went to its logical conclusion. Loved the series. One of the very few shows I've seen recently which rewards multiple viewings. Like a good novel does.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

ytowndan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on March 10, 2014, 09:58:30 PM

Only means Terry has lowered his standards. Precipitously.

Seeing some neg reviews about the finale, which is a bit surprising, I thought it went to its logical conclusion. Loved the series. One of the very few shows I've seen recently which rewards multiple viewings. Like a good novel does.

Pretty much all of the negative reviews I saw were from people who expected every little thing to be wrapped up in a bow.  They didn't like the small handful of loose ends, and they also expected a major, last minute plot twist.  I think the big networks have trained many people to expect a very certain, cookie-cutter format with cop shows...and I think the big star power of the show brought in a lot of those "mainstream" viewers. 

Anyhow, enough of my snobby metacriticism.  I thought the finale (and the series as a whole) was fantastic.  I'm pumped for next season.  Assuming it gets officially picked up, which I'm sure it will, the creator has given a little teaser about next year's plot.  He said it will be about, "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."  I'm not quite sure what the hell that means, but I'm glad they're already working on it.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

PIE-GUY

I, too, thought it was a stellar use of the medium. 8 hours of drama allowed for some deep character development, some high tension action, and enough metaphysical bs to keep the blogosphere busy deciphering for months to come. And, honestly, the two stars carrying this thing both put in outstanding performances throughout. 

I will probably watch the whole thing again in a few months to pick up all that I missed the first time through.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

aphineday

Great show, and cool idea for a series. Season 2 has a lot to live up to if they want to compete with Woody and Wooderson.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

VDB

At a certain point in the series I kinda stopped worrying about the confusing mass of tiny details and disparate threads. I'm not sure if the intention was ever for the audience to keep it all straight, or if it was just to give the impression of a very complex, extended episode. I certainly enjoyed the show for what it was -- as much as everyone had their theories about this reveal or that twist, in the end the series was about the two of them, and it always had been.
Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

Episode 4 tracking shot was one of the best things I have seen in a while.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WillBreathes on March 12, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
Episode 4 tracking shot was one of the best things I have seen in a while.

it was epic, for sure. The suspense of the chase through the Carcosa labyrinth was beautifully shot, as well.

also, check this out... http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/11/here_s_the_real_location_of_true_detective_s_carcosa.html

emay

i have obtained an hbo go account!!!!
brushed up on some GoT for the premiere sunday.
should I start true detective? or watch some movies.....

mehead

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on April 02, 2014, 08:05:10 PM
i have obtained an hbo go account!!!!
brushed up on some GoT for the premiere sunday.
should I start true detective? or watch some movies.....

Woody and McConny
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged