News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Need some advice on a couple PC upgrades

Started by ytowndan, February 05, 2016, 03:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I'm making the move to a SSD for my main C drive, and I need to get a new monitor.  I have some questions about both. 

As for the SSD, I already have it.  It's mounted in my case and ready to go, but I'm not sure what I need to do before installing windows on it.  Do I need to unhook my HDD that's currently running windows?  I've heard that the install can get screwed up if I still have a drive assigned as "C" when I attempt to install the OS on another drive.  Any truth to this?  Also, I have another HDD that has Linux installed on it (as well as my boot menu).  Do I have to remove that one too, since it has my boot menu on it?  And, If so, can I hook them back up after windows is installed on my SSD so I can used them for storage, or will I have to format them first?  Is there a simple BIOS setting I can take advantage of instead messing around with all this? 

As for the monitor situation, I recently got an LED Acer from Amazon.  The deal was great, so I jumped on it.  But I should have paid more attention to the minority of negative reviews because the quality was horrible.  I couldn't get a good view, no matter the angle.  Dark colors were washed out.  It was just an all around terrible monitor.  Adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc., did nothing to really change it.  I wasn't sure if mine was defective, or if that model just blows.  So I sent it back today, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some recommendations.  I've never had an LED monitor before, but I have an LED TV and it looks fantastic.  I'm looking for something in the 21"-24" size range. 

Thanks, dudes!  I really appreciate it! 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

kellerb

You're already dual-booting Linux & Windows on separate drives and you're asking US the best way to set up an SSD?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: kellerb on February 05, 2016, 08:50:54 AM
You're already dual-booting Linux & Windows on separate drives and you're asking US the best way to set up an SSD?

Seriously... that's like Superfreakie asking me how to say something in French.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

kellerb

Anyway, if you're going to keep the Linux & the dual-boot scenario, it will get messier.  Reinstalling Windows tends to not-play-nice with a non-windows-boot setup.  in my experience, it just writes over or breaks the linux boot-menu/control.

I would guess that the easiest thing to do is back up everything, install windows fresh on the SSD, pop in the other drives and see what happens/get them recognized in windows, then reinstall linux fresh to get the dual-boot.

ytowndan

Quote from: kellerb on February 05, 2016, 08:50:54 AM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

That dual-boot was actually set up for me (it's a bit above my paygrade). 

Quote from: kellerb on February 05, 2016, 10:35:47 AM
Anyway, if you're going to keep the Linux & the dual-boot scenario, it will get messier.  Reinstalling Windows tends to not-play-nice with a non-windows-boot setup.  in my experience, it just writes over or breaks the linux boot-menu/control.

I would guess that the easiest thing to do is back up everything, install windows fresh on the SSD, pop in the other drives and see what happens/get them recognized in windows, then reinstall linux fresh to get the dual-boot.

I don't think I'm going to keep the dual-boot setup.  I think it's been around 3 years since I've really used the Linux drive.  I love the concept behind open-source, but I found myself spending 35% of my time on Ubuntu googling fixes for various problems.  As a matter of fact, I used my "Linux Skills" last night to try and find an answer for my question, but I was getting mixed results on the old Google machine. 

Thanks for the tips.  I probably should just back everything up and disconnect the two HDDs, but I thought I'd ask first.  Because I'm lazy and I'd love to not do it if I could get away with it.   :wink:

ph92

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ytowndan

Nah, I'm good now.  It all worked out just fine, all of my worries were for naught. 

Between this SSD and quadrupling my ram (from 4 > 16GB of DDR3) my machine is running like a brand new one.  It's shocking how quick it boots up compared to before. 

Thanks for offering, though, Will!   

ph92

Yeah it's crazy how computing is so far along that HDD and RAM is the bottleneck now. HP is trying to reinvent the computer and change that paradigm though. Check it https://www.technologyreview.com/s/536786/machine-dreams/
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ytowndan

Quote from: ph92 on August 20, 2016, 08:17:38 AM
Yeah it's crazy how computing is so far along that HDD and RAM is the bottleneck now. HP is trying to reinvent the computer and change that paradigm though. Check it https://www.technologyreview.com/s/536786/machine-dreams/

That's a pretty cool concept.  Thanks for the read!