News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-07-21 The Gorge - George, WA

Started by PIE-GUY, July 22, 2018, 02:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

This Piper is everything I hate about the 3.0 iteration of the composition.  If there was just one thing I could change about this era of the band, it would be the way they play that song.  I'll give up the Ghost whammy loops and the lost guitar melody segment of Jibboo and a slower Weekapaug if for once, they'd play Piper as a build up and not start the vocals over the literal beginning of the song. 

#entitledfanproblems
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

khalpin

tet

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 22, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
This Piper is everything I hate about the 3.0 iteration of the composition.  If there was just one thing I could change about this era of the band, it would be the way they play that song.  I'll give up the Ghost whammy loops and the lost guitar melody segment of Jibboo and a slower Weekapaug if for once, they'd play Piper as a build up and not start the vocals over the literal beginning of the song. 

#entitledfanproblems

For once, I think I completely agree with you.  The original Piper, with build-up that could last a few minutes with blissful space, was INFINITELY better than the rushed intro they now do.  I find current versions just a head+jam song, which admittedly can lead to some pretty fire jams, but it completely misses the point of the song.  I loved that slow layering they used to do, and would be completely thrilled if they ever brought it back. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Gumbo72203

Quote from: tet on July 22, 2018, 03:55:14 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 22, 2018, 12:47:28 PM

#entitledfanproblems

For once, I think I completely agree with you.  The original Piper, with build-up that could last a few minutes with blissful space, was INFINITELY better than the rushed intro they now do.  I find current versions just a head+jam song, which admittedly can lead to some pretty fire jams, but it completely misses the point of the song.  I loved that slow layering they used to do, and would be completely thrilled if they ever brought it back.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong... the jams pretty much always deliver.  But fuck, it's not ALWAYS just about the JAMS.  The thing that made the Piper jam so great was that preliminary build up and anticipation.  The band gathers no steam now.  There's no foreplay; they sing the words over the spacey intro and then they just slam into the jam.  There's no dynamic build, nor speed increase.  That element of the song was what appealed so much to me about Phish and Piper in particular, because I'd never heard a band do anything of that sort before.  It was unique and special.   

Throw on any Aud tape of a '00 or 2.0 Piper, and there's always that moment about 2ish minutes in when Fishman finally drops into the beat proper out of the intro hi-hat space, Trey finally begins really laying into the chords, the momentum picks up and the audience flips out.  The whole point of the lyrics too was for them to swirl in out of the vapor once that steamroller of energy was properly built. 

Now, Trey just starts them 30 seconds in and it's stupid lol. 

Even this jam is pretty plodding, tempo-wise.  Like, I get that they're older and probably just can't sustain that kind of energy anymore, but I feel like you can still build it up. 

The moment I'm talking about first happens about 1:20 here in this tape...  the band finally exits the spacey intro, and the whole groove comes together and ratchets up a notch or two, and you can FEEL IT.  The acceleration starts... and everyone is getting psyched.  You can hear the audience react and at 2:00 everyone is losing it because here we fucking gooooooo. 

I have this same feeling with Roggae, where I wish they'd go back to the 1.0 composition arrangement instead of just doing a tension jam.  It's funny because that was the one song in 1.0 I wish they went Type II with and never did, and now that they do that in 3.0, I wish they'd go back to the 1.0 "jam" it used to have.  Those guitar licks are so great. 

EDIT:  Also, I will say that I fucking love this Piper jam.  This shit is raunchy and gnarly!  Backwards Tray! 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mehead

Disturbing to read all the stuff that happened last night after the show with the violence and the Neo-nazi shit that went on. Pretty fucked up.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

Yeah. Fucking hell. Nazi punks FUCK OFF!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 22, 2018, 07:15:13 PM
Yeah. Fucking hell. Nazi punks FUCK OFF!!

This shit is crazy. Multiple accounts of attacks now from what I've read...
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

There’s a fair bit of rumor spin happening here.
Unclear what actually went down but moderately reliable sources indicate at least one violent incident inside the show.
Also unclear if the nazi asshole in the circulating photo was actually connected to the incident.

Either way, if you see assholes being assholes, step up.

mbw

VA $l!m

Quote from: mbw on July 22, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
Where does one read this story?
yeah, i wanna check it out too.
last few days here in NEb some nazi fucks are stooping as low as to start putting propoganda in these 'little library' things here and in Omaha. IF you dont know there these community drop off, leave a book take a book nooks. smfh
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Gumbo72203

This Tweezer is angryyyyyy.  I love it.  Kinda ripcorded for Golden Age though...  that post-peak space still had legs.  Really like the theme Trey finds in the main segment of his Golden Age solo around 6 mins in though!  That was very nice. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 22, 2018, 08:02:20 PM
Quote from: mbw on July 22, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
Where does one read this story?
yeah, i wanna check it out too.
last few days here in NEb some nazi fucks are stooping as low as to start putting propoganda in these 'little library' things here and in Omaha. IF you dont know there these community drop off, leave a book take a book nooks. smfh

The wife says she finds Nazi propaganda stuffed into books at the library all the time. The level of ignorance and arrogance these people have is staggering and dangerous.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.