News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Does IT know when we paug?

Started by VDB, July 15, 2014, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Having just gotten a job at a real company with a real IT department where they know how to network the shit out of everything, the question now weighs on my mind as to whether I should be worried about trying to fire up the ol' paug on my work computer. (I haven't yet.)

What're the odds they can see every site I'm browsing, and/or using other practices to tell who's working and who's goofing off? My wife tells me that at her company, their IT department can see everything happening on everyone's computer at any time.

I just started Monday so I don't want to go straight into slacker mode... but the withdrawal is killing me.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2014, 07:46:49 PM
Having just gotten a job at a real company with a real IT department where they know how to network the shit out of everything, the question now weighs on my mind as to whether I should be worried about trying to fire up the ol' paug on my work computer. (I haven't yet.)

What're the odds they can see every site I'm browsing, and/or using other practices to tell who's working and who's goofing off? My wife tells me that at her company, their IT department can see everything happening on everyone's computer at any time.

I just started Monday so I don't want to go straight into slacker mode... but the withdrawal is killing me.

paug on your phone or ipad during the day.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Phone pauging is way too cramped. Plus I have nearly no signal in the office. WiFi capabilities still TBD -- pending that, iPad may be an option but it can be a bit more conspicuous than jumping in and out of a browser tab. (Also, if I'm still on the office network would that raise the same question of traffic monitoring even if they don't know exactly whose device it is?)
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

they only monitor how much activity you have on the politi-wook forum.
if you stop posting in there, you'll be fine.
:wink:
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mbw

Bring the IT guy donuts.  RJ taught me thatâ„¢.

Buffalo Budd

They have fatter fish to fry than someone surfing a Phish messageboard.  Stay away from the red light district threads and you should be ok.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 15, 2014, 08:51:05 PM
They have fatter fish to fry than someone surfing a Phish messageboard.  Stay away from the red light district threads and you should be ok.

This, but they can definitely tell what sites you're visiting.

mehead

Quote from: kellerb on July 15, 2014, 09:26:38 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 15, 2014, 08:51:05 PM

This, but they can definitely tell what sites you're visiting.

exactly
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

Know your company internet usage policy.
If you do it on their network, they can see it. This doesn't mean they're looking, however.
In many environments, if your shit gets done and you aren't downloading viruses, they won't care about a little pauging.

VDB

Quote from: DoW on July 15, 2014, 08:07:53 PM
they only monitor how much activity you have on the politi-wook forum.
if you stop posting in there, you'll be fine.
:wink:

Wishful thinking!

Quote from: mbw on July 15, 2014, 08:11:58 PM
Bring the IT guy donuts.  RJ taught me thatâ„¢.

They're in New York.
Is this still Wombat?