News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 26, 2007, 08:09:41 PM
How does Julia Roberts factor into this?

i was wondering the same thing....
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on June 26, 2007, 07:19:24 PM
agreed. 

I watched I heart Huckabee's yesterday, and that is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I love how it dissects existentialism, and at the same time it some what mocks it. 

I was severely let down by it after Three Kings and Flirting with Disaster myself, esp. since Flirting with Disaster  is a modern day comedy classic.

"You come in here, you lick my wife's armpit . . . I'm going to be stuck with that image for the rest of my life!"
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on June 26, 2007, 08:12:21 PM
I was severely let down by it after Three Kings and Flirting with Disaster myself, esp. since Flirting with Disaster  is a modern day comedy classic.

"You come in here, you lick my wife's armpit . . . I'm going to be stuck with that image for the rest of my life!"

Drop the expectations that were clearly formed by those other movies and watch it again. It is a unique and special film.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on June 26, 2007, 08:12:21 PM

Really?  I can't get over how Huckabee's applies philosophy to each character and presents such a deep plot.  I love how it debates the two sub-schools of existentialism (theological versus Nietzsche's theory). 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on June 26, 2007, 08:42:02 PM
Really?  I can't get over how Huckabee's applies philosophy to each character and presents such a deep plot.  I love how it debates the two sub-schools of existentialism (theological versus Nietzsche's theory). 

Sure the philosophy stuff was cool, but in terms of a movie with an interesting narrative and believable characters it just didn't cut it for me, although Marky Mark was really good.  I may check it out again at some point. 

I also think the visual of Schwartzman with his pants down may have scarred me for life . . .
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: Hicks on June 26, 2007, 08:54:18 PM
Sure the philosophy stuff was cool, but in terms of a movie with an interesting narrative and believable characters it just didn't cut it for me, although Marky Mark was really good.  I may check it out again at some point. 

I also think the visual of Schwartzman with his pants down may have scarred me for life . . .

i'm with you on this one. that's great that russell is putting existential philosophy in a movie, but if the movie sucks, who cares?
i didn't buy any of it. didn't like it at all.

apparently it was a rather contentious shoot, as well.
perhaps you've all seen the clips that got out a few months ago?
here's one:

moulin rouge needed to relax. that kind of spastic editing drives me crazy after a while. even in the romantic scenes with just two actors, the cutting was non-stop insane. no pacing in the movie at all.

rowjimmy

suspension of disbelief...
you aren't supposed to think its real. The characters are narrators and drawings in an illustrated philosophy text.

August

Ill Toss Your Salad If You Butter My Buns XXX DVDRiP  :oops:
a

It was "ok".

Hicks

:lol:  Oooh man that was good.  I'm with Lily though:

"Why don't you fuck your whole movie, because that's what you are doing."

Caravan2001

What's a movie?

->Caravan goes to change another diaper<-

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 26, 2007, 09:25:50 PM
suspension of disbelief...
you aren't supposed to think its real. The characters are narrators and drawings in an illustrated philosophy text.
exactly. 

Quote from: Hicks on June 26, 2007, 08:54:18 PM

I see the movie itself as a metaphor for how existentialism can deconstruct one's life and cause "inner chaos."  I think that if you view it as you would any other movie, your missing the point of it.  I say watch it again and look deeper into each line and the plot, and see how the philosophy is discussed and yet mocked at the same time. 

Cactusfan, that youtube link is really funny btw.  thanks for sharing it.   :beers:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Put it this way, I was unable to suspend my belief that it was a crappy mess of a movie. 

But once I watch the 50 or so movies in my Netflix queue, I might check it out again.  :wink:

sophist

I thought liberals were suppose to dig the "art-esque" intelligent movies.   :wink:  :evil:

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on June 27, 2007, 01:11:58 AM
I thought liberals were suppose to dig the "art-esque" intelligent movies.   :wink:  :evil:

As a liberal media snob I get to decide which ones within the genre are worthy and which are not.  Mindlessly enjoying anything is for conservatives.   :-P :wink:

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on June 27, 2007, 01:15:38 AM
As a liberal media snob I get to decide which ones within the genre are worthy and which are not.  Mindlessly enjoying anything is for conservatives.   :-P :wink:

:lol:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back on topic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I watched Where the Buffalo Roam today and I enjoyed it (with my mind fully working  :wink: ).  Bill Murry does a superb job of imitating Thompson and the movie really reveals how Thompson's methods lead to him being a genius writer.