News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: Igbo on November 21, 2007, 11:26:48 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 20, 2007, 04:12:23 PM
"Death Proof"--the Tarantino half of the double feature from the last year. One word: lap-dance. Sheer hotness.

Of the 2 parts, is DeathProof the one to watch? Blockbuster has each film as seperate rentals.

I watched 300 on Saturday for the 1st time. Great fight scenes

no, death proof is the crappy half. watch the zombie flick by rodriguez. it's actually an insane grindhouse movie. tarantino's is endless talking.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: cactusfan on November 21, 2007, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: Igbo on November 21, 2007, 11:26:48 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 20, 2007, 04:12:23 PM
"Death Proof"--the Tarantino half of the double feature from the last year. One word: lap-dance. Sheer hotness.

Of the 2 parts, is DeathProof the one to watch? Blockbuster has each film as seperate rentals.

I watched 300 on Saturday for the 1st time. Great fight scenes

no, death proof is the crappy half. watch the zombie flick by rodriguez. it's actually an insane grindhouse movie. tarantino's is endless talking.

agreed.
Grindhouse was my favorite of the two.
def. good zombie flick; straight up.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

bluecaravan521

Beowulf- Absolutely terrible, yet at the same time hilarious... I had no idea what to expect, and while the animation was great, it was just so dumb... half of the time he was just walking around naked for no reason at all
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VA $l!m

watched most of SCorceses' dylan documentary (61-65): "no direction home" tonite.

very cool... crazy stuff.

after, i turned over to PBs & austin city limits... 2 mins of Van morrison and i think i want to puke.
at this age he makes DYLan sound like the most vocally understandable singer in the world... all i could make out was blAHDAHDEAHDHA DHEDDAHDEDHAHAHAHAHBLAH.
wow, that was horrid... if you accidentally happen upon this, change the channel before you are scarred for life. ouch.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

No Country For Old Men

Excellent film. I quite enjoyed it.

Surprisingly, Josh Brolin was quite good.

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 09, 2007, 07:12:14 PM
No Country For Old Men

also just watched it.... i thought it was very good as well. 

Seemed as if others in the theater wanted a very resolved ending ;)
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Declan on December 09, 2007, 09:20:49 PM
No Country For Old Men

Same experience... One guy blurted out "Huh?"
lol

hoodie22

just watched Wet Hot American Summer at my friends. a classic.

Wolfmansbrother

just saw National Treasure for the first time
amazing
loved it

cactusfan

Quote from: Declan on December 09, 2007, 09:20:49 PM
No Country For Old Men

why did you guys like the ending? what did the movie mean to you?

i thought it didn't work at all. who was i supposed to care about? anyone? i sure didn't care about tommy lee jones. i just about fell asleep during the dream scene with his dad and the following scene where he tells us about the dream.

i love watching coen bros movie for the moviemaking, always top notch, and for a lot of this one i was enjoying it, but it just fell apart for me at the end. i read the book awhile ago, and it did the same thing. they were certainly loyal to the book, a practice endlessly mysterious to me.

rowjimmy

I think it all comes down to a few points...

a) The ironic words of the Deputy at the beginning of the film, "I got it under control" (he so totally didn't)

b) The discussion between Tommy Lee Jones and the Sheriff in El Paso about the tide and TLJ's line about how crime of the present (1980) is hard to measure. It's so off the traditional scale. This and the ending sequence go back to the title of the film.

c) I was especially enamored with the reveal that Moss' wife, while simple, was no dummy.

d) Javier Bardeem was amazing to watch.

Life isn't a neatly wrapped package. Sometimes it rises up and flattens you like a wave. There is no stopping that wave and there's no retribution that'll fit, either.

Bobafett

knocked up
good, cheese factor was well balanced with stoner humor.

Island Fever 4...........Jesse Jane is my hero!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Wah-Wah.

i'm a Gabriel Byrne fan.
good movie....

the kid from "about a boy" was in it as well...
and , shit.. her name.. i think it's Miranda Richardson....

i liked it :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 10, 2007, 09:08:39 AM
I think it all comes down to a few points...

a) The ironic words of the Deputy at the beginning of the film, "I got it under control" (he so totally didn't)

b) The discussion between Tommy Lee Jones and the Sheriff in El Paso about the tide and TLJ's line about how crime of the present (1980) is hard to measure. It's so off the traditional scale. This and the ending sequence go back to the title of the film.

c) I was especially enamored with the reveal that Moss' wife, while simple, was no dummy.

d) Javier Bardeem was amazing to watch.

Life isn't a neatly wrapped package. Sometimes it rises up and flattens you like a wave. There is no stopping that wave and there's no retribution that'll fit, either.

i think ultimately i just didn't find the end compelling, and because of that the deeper meaning of random, horrible violence affecting everyone to the point where no one was free from it didn't really hit me very hard. i would've needed to care about the characters more, i think.

at least the coens give one something to think about. usually.
my favorites are still their first four:
Blood Simple
Rasing Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink

well... and the Big Lebowski... because, really, i hate the fuckin eagles.