News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Random (possibly stupid) question about Tube

Started by McGrupp, January 25, 2011, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

I've been wondering this for a while, because I've heard it in a handful of versions...

Why does trey sometimes sing "dop do rhinos run from thunder?" instead of just "do rhinos run from thunder?"

I would think it's just a flub, but I've heard him sing that specific "dop" that a bunch of times, and if it were a flub i figure it'd be different each time. Is this some weird alternate phrasing that I've just never been aware of? Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed it on the 8/7/10 version... I'll have to dig to find others that he does it.

Thoughts?

/stupid random question
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 01:43:50 PM
I've been wondering this for a while, because I've heard it in a handful of versions...

Why does trey sometimes sing "dop do rhinos run from thunder?" instead of just "do rhinos run from thunder?"

I would think it's just a flub, but I've heard him sing that specific "dop" that a bunch of times, and if it were a flub i figure it'd be different each time. Is this some weird alternate phrasing that I've just never been aware of? Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed it on the 8/7/10 version... I'll have to dig to find others that he does it.

Thoughts?

/stupid random question

Now that you say this, I am pretty sure I've heard this plenty of times. 

Its not on the 10/15/10 or 10/30/10 versions I just listened to.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sophist

The more important question, why are you guys listening to 3.0 Tubes? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 25, 2011, 02:12:24 PM

I was listening to the Greek3 show in its entirety because everyone raves about it, and I haven't given it a good listen (other than light) since August. Curiousity's sake.

As a side note, I actually find the Burgettstown 09 tube to be a lot more interesting than plenty of 1.0 versions...

edit: but yeah my original question isn't directed towards 3.0 tubes only, actually the version I first heard it was some 97 show... maybe hampton? but I can't find it/remember it. I know there are at least 10 versions out there with this weird little "dop do" thing I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:16:13 PM

I was listening to the Greek3 show in its entirety because everyone raves about it, and I haven't given it a good listen (other than light) since August. Curiousity's sake.

As a side note, I actually find the Burgettstown 09 tube to be a lot more interesting than plenty of 1.0 versions...

edit: but yeah my original question isn't directed towards 3.0 tubes only, actually the version I first heard it was some 97 show... maybe hampton? but I can't find it/remember it. I know there are at least 10 versions out there with this weird little "dop do" thing I'm talking about.
The only redeeming quality about Burgettstown '09 was that it ended.  Do you really want me to list all of the 1.0 and 2.0 Tubes that kick the shit out of it? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Quote from: sophist on January 25, 2011, 02:19:40 PM

The only redeeming quality about Burgettstown '09 was that it ended.  Do you really want me to list all of the 1.0 and 2.0 Tubes that kick the shit out of it?

I will respectfully disagree with you.  I thoroughly enjoyed it while I was there and have gone back to it a number of times to relisten on tape.  Is it a best ever version?  No.  I would, however, say it's the best I had a seen in a long time, and quite possibly best of 3.0.  I would pick it over a number of 1.0 tubes too.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 25, 2011, 02:15:52 PM

Good point, but those were the only ones on my laptop at the moment. 

You guys are so mean.   :wink:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

McGrupp

Burgettstown 09 sucked. The Tube was awesome - I'm not going to start a debate on that because I am aware that 3.0 < 1.0, but my point was that I'd listen to the B-town 09 one over a handful of 1.0's.

Go back and listen to it dude. It's a good tube. I also point to this version as an instance where Trey is using the whale "Correctly".

antelope19

Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2011, 02:22:31 PM

I will respectfully disagree with you.  I thoroughly enjoyed it while I was there and have gone back to it a number of times to relisten on tape.  Is it a best ever version?  No.  I would, however, say it's the best I had a seen in a long time, and quite possibly best of 3.0.  I would pick it over a number of 1.0 tubes too.

Burgettstown 09 sucked. The Tube was awesome - I'm not going to start a debate on that because I am aware that 3.0 < 1.0, but my point was that I'd listen to the B-town 09 one over a handful of 1.0's.

Go back and listen to it dude. It's a good tube. I also point to this version as an instance where Trey is using the whale "Correctly".

I would agree with the Trey/whale comment too. 

It is funny how different shows are perceived differently by everyone.  I thoroughly enjoyed Burgettstown '09.  I am sure that being with my brother and having seats under the shed, 8 rows back from the stage had something to do with that though. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

McGrupp

Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2011, 02:30:48 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on January 25, 2011, 02:22:31 PM

I would agree with the Trey/whale comment too. 

It is funny how different shows are percieved differently by everyone.  I thoroughly enjoyed Burgettstown '09.  I am sure that being with my brother and having seats under the shed, 8 rows back from the stage had something to do with that though.

I have great memories of the show itself - I was with a group of 10 or so friends from home, we all had a blast. But we were on the lawn, and starlake's sound is pretty crappy up there. All I really remember from this show was the Tube, Walk Away bustout, and some encore wackyness. Didn't think much of the show as a whole, though... Nice on paper but in reality most of the jams fell flat.

Also, summer 09 was the era of super shitty sbds... so it's kinda hard to go back and listen to a lot of the stuff that went down without cringing, even if it was ok.

McGrupp

Even the "summer sampler" "remasters" sound like absolute shit.

Summer 09 remasters, lol.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Burgettstown was my favorite show of Burgettstown-->Alpine.

I don't understand why it got so much hate.  I mean the Bowie is flubbed, but I thought the set was over before Bowie started and 3.0 Bowies are teh suck anyways (imo).

McGrupp

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 25, 2011, 02:37:29 PM
Burgettstown was my favorite show of Burgettstown-->Alpine.

I don't understand why it got so much hate.  I mean the Bowie is flubbed, but I thought the set was over before Bowie started and 3.0 Bowies are teh suck anyways (imo).

While I often find myself agreeing with you on certain jams, your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

To each their own.  :-)

rowjimmy

I can't say I've listened to anything from 2009 aside from bits of fest 8 since 2009 (the 2009 nye run also gets a pass because... well it would have been hard to listen to it in 2009.)

I can say that I haven't missed them one bit.