News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/23 - First Niagara Pavilion - Burgettstown, PA -Post-Show Discussion

Started by mbw, June 23, 2012, 11:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

finally listening to the real audio.  Streamed last night, laying in bed doing nothing because I feel like shit.

Comments from listening to the stream:

Torn and Frayed - really good Trey solo, thought it was the best one he's played so far for the tune
Moma - nothing outstanding, just well-played fun Phish.  did its job.
Mule - I don't even know what the fuck was happening in the venue but this was all kinds of holy-shit. 
46 Days - peak rage.  Done. 
YEM - holy bonkers.  Couldn't tell from the stream how the intro was, but Trey's licks in The Note section were so fluid, it was weird.  They weren't any different than he usually plays, but there was just... i don't know.  Something was better about it.  And the jam peaked like crazy before dropping into bass and drums.  Killed it. 

Jibboo - listening to sbd now.  This is fucking money.  Trey is all over this mother, especially starting the jam.  Page is killing it too. 

Actually, I'm going to write an essay.  Short-style.  Being a guitar player, I think this Jibboo is the perfect showcase-example for a diorama presenting the clearly-definable characteristics of a state of "improved-Trey" that Trey currently might be inhabiting with his nominal existence.  See, guitar players have a thought process when it comes to how we view the fretboard, pick our notes, and play scales.  Literally, when new things come up, we "break out of the box" and think newly and differently; its the best thing in the world when we 'realize' or 'figure out' a new way to view the arrangement of notes, ways to connect them into phrases, etc etc. 

So, given that I listen to a lot of Phish and have seen them a bunch and that I jam on Jibboo myself a lot, I think I have a fairly good understanding of Trey's style now, the way he plays the song, and the ways it CAN be played.  And this Jibboo, while certainly not THE best ever, is chock full of experimental-fretboard Trey.  He's breaking out, thinking abstractly and creatively towards his fretboard.  He's playing new things.  Thats a fucking good thing.  He's been doing this all tour, actually.  I mean, listen to the AC Chalkdust.  Like, where the fuck did all that come from? 

Mike's Song - Trey busts licks before the jam even starts!!!!!!  Page!!!!  Killing!!!!  The Piano!!!!  omg Trey!!!  what an entrance....  omg Page.  Thanks guys.  This Mike's is pretty great right off the bat.  Trey is just in command of his hands and mind.  OMG!!!!!!!  FUCK!!!   A CADENCE!!!!!!!  Courtesy of Trey!!!!!  Actually I don't know if its a cadence, I'm not sure whether he's playing from a V-ii or something.... but seriously dig this: 

Mike's Song from 2:50 - 3:41.  Trey sets up his entrance perfectly for landing the start of his solo at 3:03.   He ends another lick at 3:21 and immediately sets up a chord-progression ascent that ends at 3:41.  Fuckin a guys, this is Real Trey. 

Anyway, more on the jam.  It patiently builds without the grand glory the way it starts, but its still fucking good.  Trey searching for cool licks, buoyed by Pay Jorgan's impeccable Ray Jorgan.  Trey tosses in some tension notes, Page comes in with the piano underneith.  We land back on the tonic at 5:52 followed by a nice bust-out lick by Trey.  Page comps Trey's licks on the piano which is pretty cool at 6:31.  Nice climb by Trey after, Page lands lower on the piano, Fishman filling blazing on the snare.  Nice final push by Trey at 7:08 for what I'm thinking is going to be the last major peak, few more rounds through the chords, OH MAN!!!!!  Trey licks!!!!  7:30!!!!!  Page is like "ending?"  and Trey's like "FUCK NO MAN WATCH THIS"

hahahaha Trey wanted to play the song correctly!!!!!!!  Oh man i donno what to think about that.  Page miscued the start of the tramps chords, then Trey miscued the closing chords by starting them after playing the tramps chords twice, like the way the song was written.

Simple - for some reason I felt like Trey started the jam early but I think i'm just retarded.  Love his use of the whammy pedal here, in the first few licks.  He uses it to bend down back into one note, and it was awesome.  His fucking playing here is so good you guys.  He's thinking ahead, and using the fretboard and not the whammy pedal.  He's leaving space for the other guys, and Page is just killing his piano tinkling.  Mikes trying to introduce some break-out tension notes, pushing for more space.  5:30 and we're into a theme, Mike throws serious reverb on his bass.  LOVE what he's doing at 5:58, Page and Trey follow, sort of Silent-intro-ish.

I fucking love this new space style.  OMG PAGE!!!!  8:40, with a fucking COOL melody on his synth.  Not sure how I feel about Trey's instigating of Light when Fishman finally comes up with a fucking COOL drum beat to play.  Kinda weird, not sure if it means anything but I really dug Fish's beat there. 

Light - Jam starts pretty cool I guess, a couple nice licks from Trey.  Hard for me to get excited about this song.  I really like what Page is doing on his piano though at 3:50ish.  The song, I think, gets IMMENSELY better when it drops into the relative minor the way they did in AC after the Manteca portion.  Trey and Page trying to add tension at 4:50, Trey hinting to a minor key change.  Gets a little more interesting around 5:40, Trey trying to point at a new chord at 5:53, Page on the piano.  Gets a little disjointed here, Page swings into his clav riff at 6:14, that was pretty cool.  Actually i like what Trey's doing with the looped whale calling, and Page on the RHODES!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!  This jam is super disjointed now, in a weirdly enjoyable way.  Trey has his looped whale call, Page on the rhodes, Mike with his dog pedal, and Fishman adding off-kilter fills.  Trey coming in with some scratchy soul licks at 7:50, Page hinting at some nice chords at 8:11, Trey funk at 8:20.  Okay here we might have something....  Trey with the wah pedal.  Super delicate now, almost a Stash jam.  HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUCKING COOL!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!  8:45!!!!!  OMG HOLY SHIT WHERE the fuck did this come from!!!!!!

OMG holy fuck seriously, wow wtf this is fucking incredible.  Holy shit.  wow.  Page goes to the clav and it loses the magic, but its still the same jam.  Noooo page, stopppp don't do that shit.  FUCK.  Okay i guess its alright, 9:54, Mike latches onto a new groove.

Holy fucking jockey-bandit Batman, that little Stash-esque bit from from 8:06 until 9:05 when Page goes to the clav. 

OMG Trey modulating to major key!!!  OMG this Light is so fucking cool!!!!  Holy shit!!!!!  We get a little plinko bullshit until 10:19 when Trey leads with more funky chords.  and the change at 10:33.

Seriously guys, from 10:33 on, this Light is serious money.  OMG and Trey is soloing!!!!!  MELODIES!!!!!

For the guys who hate Phish right now, please I beg you to listen to this and see what you think.  The entirety of Light I think points to the progress the band has made with their communication, maneuverability, idea-creation, and syncness. 

oh my god and another new theme!!!  okay maybe not, Trey throws some weird anti-harmony thing on with his whammy pedal, but Trey starts a regular theme at 12:50 and I thought it was gonna stick, but Page seems to not be able to pick up on it so welll, and Mike kind of throws Trey off it seems.  Trey's bringing the jam into to shore now with some evil intervals. 

Weekapaug - great way to bring it in.  Page still on the clav, and Trey bringing his weird loop shit back.  haha this is cool, its fun and funny.  HAHA YEAHH!!!!  Fuck yeah Weekapaug!!!!!!!!  Oh man this is what I, personally, live for: when the band is just having FUN on stage.  Who gives a fuck if they get the changes right exactly, but they're playing and toying with music.  Their music.  This Weekapaug is exactly that: in the moment, off-the-cuff, in the flow.  This is perfect Phish.  You can analyze it and say its sloppy, because it is.  Its not note perfect at all.  Its goofy, but its real.  And thats the best kind of Phish. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

McGrupp

I'm going to abide by the 48hr rule before I give it a full review, but the Light from last night had me stopped in my tracks.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Gumbo72203

Dude this Light is fucking the real deal.  The last half is fucking pure Phish gold.  There's whole distinct movements. 

Listening to YEM now.  Guys, this is pretty tight.  The intro sounds a weeeee bit shaky, but they keep it together.  Maybe the cleanest YEM that Trey has played in 3.0???  He does hit a couple bum notes in a few places, from the sound of it it seems to be more hitting a muted string by accident, while his fingers were still in the correct positions. 

I mean, i call it a win.  That whole intro segment is fucking well-played.  Nice job guys, nice job.  I mean, yeah you can practice this song all you want and all you can, but getting up onstage and playing it in front of that many people is always going to be nerve-wracking. 

Fishman sounds really good on it, actually.  Even through the intro runs, hes throwing in little extras.  But oh man the band sounds great, there's an extra oomph in the playing leading up to The Note section, which Trey fucking NAILS.  My god, something about this YEM.  Its like, deeper.  Heavier?  Theres an urgency in the playing; not necessarily frantic but like... an excitement?  Like they're hitting everything harder.  Leaning into it more.  Page especially, its all over this shit.  I donno if its cuz he's mixed higher maybe?  But he means business. 

haha, the Boy yell seems to throw the band off just a bit lol.  Kinda funny.  Fishman doing his job, keeping time through the breaks.  Mike sounds great, extra reverb mixed in; you can hear the room.  Page is killing it!!!!!

I'm not sure if its the SBD or what, but Page sounds exceptional on this.  OH MAN, the WUDMTF segment is AWESOME.  Page's little fill at 7:45, and Fish had a cool one before that.  They all sound super sprightly, and Page is just killing this.

A great YEM, for sure.  Love that he's playing on his Suzy-wobble Moog thing.  Oh man PAGE!!! 

aight i'm out, gonna go play guitar a bit.  This YEM is fucking good.  Oh man wtf PAGE!!!!!!  Start of the tramps segment is just fucking all over, Page wins.  Page wins.  OH MAN PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

tweezerfan

first show of tour.

mule, cool.

light/paug, interesting.

walked out when trey fucked up lizards, peace!

-i should also note, page is destroying everything. mike, has a new bass. peace.

Gumbo72203

omg this Weekapaug.

I'm not even going to say one word about it, because you all have to hear this.  Literally.  If you hear one thing from this show, please listen to Weekapaug.  This is probably the most important Weekapaug since the hiatus.

Seven Below - little rusty, but the jam is super sublime.  LOVE what Mike does during the beginning of the song itself. 

Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

Julius - kinda funny; they kill this song now, kind of always a staple for energy when they didn't have super jam confidence.  But here, its not a highlight at all.  Trey seems to struggle in getting Fishman to follow his outbursts in this version, not sure why.  Fishman is just keeping it straight, but it sets up Trey for some nice blast-off licks.  The outro chorus is awesome, with Trey shredding underneith.  And then......

Slave - actually under 9 mins, unless you count the dragged out rave-up ending, which puts it at 9:03 when the last hit crashes.  This jam is fucking good though, I LOVE the beginning.  Trey is letting his ideas simmer, and develop with Mike.  Its fucking cool.  He has the perfect amount of overdrive on his guitar too, which sounds out of tune by the way.  His guitar is definitely out of tune slightly, I think. 

But my god, this set of Phish.  Everything is just straight money.  Its fucking incredible.  I wonder if the band is like, trying to play like its 1999 again, end of the world, etc?  With the ambience and space-man playing. 

Kinda funny the placement of Bouncing, though.  "then before and now once more I'm bouncing around the room" almost as if they finally got the jam prowess back like they felt they used to have.  Its nice to have it back as the landing pad after a session of serious depth and exploration. 

Fuckin a guys.  Fucking.  A.  Phish did it. 

Gumbo72203

OMG SLAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Slave is just awesome.  Trey plays legit lines, and Fishman is super excited about it.  Fishman is all over this fucking Slave, and Trey is killing it!!!!!!  5:30-5:54 is legit sublime Trey. OH MAN TREY ASCENT 6:12 - 6:28.  And then he sinks in, 6/23/04 style with the sustained note!!!!!  Fuckin Page underneith!!!!!

My god I love this band.  Fuck yeah Fishman, roll that snare.  ROLL IT MOTHERFUCKER.  7:46

VDB

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

I don't know what the hell that means, but I like it.
Is this still Wombat?

aphineday

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 24, 2012, 12:12:02 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM

I don't know what the hell that means, but I like it.
lulz
I have yet to hear this show, but Slave is on my all time favorites list, and they've been a complete shit fest in 3.0 thus far. I hope that with the hype here (Gumbo) you're right, and my preconceptions are wrong. I hope it is as good as you say, seriously. If it is...  we'll talk about that ice cream.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

tweezerfan

in all honesty man, it is a good slave. tight and clean, nothing mind blowing though. peace.

Undermind

2nd listen of Mikes through Seven Below.  Good stuff!  I llike what they do in Paug a lot!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Gumbo72203

Right, its absolutely nothing mind-blowing.  Its actually the shortest one of 3.0, I think (unless there is a full track that clocks in at under 9).

But my word, the jamming is pristine.  Trey leaves the opening wide open and watery, just letting it simmer and marinate.  And this lets him work some super melodic lines in there.  It peaks in an untraditional way, but it does so very competently. 

Its just straight and to the point, with a lot of good work by the other 3 guys.  They're stoked to be playing it, they know what kind of set they just threw down. 

Granted, all this excitement does not mean they're playing the best ever.  But my god, this is exciting shit we're getting now. 

gainesvillegreen

On my second listen.
Returning again to Backwards, Gumbo, 46 Days, Mikes/Simple, Weekapaug/Seven Below. Lots of fun in all of that.

Underwhelmed by the YEM, Light, and Slave.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

aphineday

Okay.. Phish played a show. It was VERY above what I expected going in to it. Light usually kills any momentum for me, but this was probably the best Light in my memory anyway. Really enjoyed what was going on, and more importantly I enjoyed how they were playing TOGETHER (and by they I mean Trey). I think that it was pretty obvious to me that the other guys are pumped because Trey is playing with them on songs/jams now, so it makes their playing even better.
What this breaks down to for me is pretty simple: they are improving. I love this band, and I'll admit that at times I was so frustrated with 3.0 that I was tempted to stop listening, but I never have (at least not all together). Now I certainly don't think that just because there have been 3 decent shows  that "Phish Is Fucking Back". I think Trey has his head in the game more, and is *maybe* a little more interested in jamming than he was at the beginning of the tour - and I hope it continues, as he's really playing much more inspired than he was earlier in the tour (say Boner-roo). He might just be relaxing more, and "going with the flow", or he might be actually taking an interest in what this band is doing. I personally hope it's a good mix between the two.

This show highlights for me: Weekapaug Groove -> Seven Below is silky, Light, Scent Of A Mule, and the Slave didn't suck ass (but it might not have taken me to the same place it did Gumbo).
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong