News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postjack

Quote from: Hicks on April 22, 2009, 02:00:14 PM
You mean you don't grab one of each?  Amateur!   :wink:

ok ok, so this happens occasionally!  :-)

EDIT: in other vinyl news, I bought the new Depeche Mode album on vinyl, should arrive tomorrow.  Comes with the CD, which I always appreciate.  I'm still not setup to do needledrops.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Ri©h

Quote from: postjack on April 22, 2009, 01:58:12 PM
I have heard clear vinyl that sounds great, namely Rollins Band "Weight" and some Southern Lord metal bands.

Southern Lord has some sick bands on their label.

Ri©h

Well, today I even blew myself away. I never toot my own horn. Not my bag. But I scored some gems that make me mighty proud of myself this evening. Took another trip to the "garage" today and came home with the best scores yet. Whoa momma...!!!

Wes Montgomery - Road Song ~ This was Wes' last recording before he died and was released after his death. A personal favorite.
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats ~ BIG score here. This is a first pressing on the Bizarre/Reprise label. Total gem and still in excellent condition.
Grateful Dead - Wake Of The Flood ~ I think most of us are familiar with this classic. Released, of course, on GD's label.  :-)

Yes - Close To The Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and Relayer ~ The thing that strikes me the most about grabbing these is the artwork by Roger Dean. You can't see the details on a CD. But on an album, WOW! His work is simply other-worldly fantastic.

Missing Persons - Spring Session M ~ If you were ever into new wave, or 80s music in general, then you probably heard of Missing Persons. I love this album. It's full of their absolute best.
INXS - Listen Like Thieves ~ Of all the INXS albums I had this was the one I wore out on a consistent basis. Just a fantastic album from a fantastic band.
XTC - Beeswax: Some B-Sides 1977-1982 ~ An entire album of B-sides from XTC...? Yes, please!  :-D

Pink Floyd - Meddle ~ Numerous years ago I had this album warped by the heat of the desert sun (long story). Not only is this a long overdue replacement, but it's on the original Harvest label which makes it a precious stone to me.
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty ~ FINALLY!!! I finally have an original copy of this all-time classic on vinyl. I listened to it earlier and it's just awesome. I highly recommend this album to anyone that hasn't heard it. Excellent!
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes ~ If you're a fan of Tom Petty and you don't have this album you are NOT a fan of Tom Petty and should go out and get it immediately. Then listen non stop for a month to get your head straight.  :wink:

And finally, the two best scores of the year for me...

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass ~ This is the three record box set released on the Apple label. I shelled out a few bills for this beauty which I am listening to as I type this (side 3 right now). Wow. Just... wow! I haven't heard this album sound so good. I've never owned it on vinyl so this is truly a treat for me as I was always a big fan of George's work. It's almost humbling to listen to it this way. Totally sublime...  8-)

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request ~ HAHA! I paid more for this than all the others combined. Why...? Because it's a 1st pressing on the London Records label. The front has one of those 3D pictures that makes a scratching sound if you hit it with your fingernail. For an album that is now 42 years old it's mint. Kenne, the guy I buy from, almost wouldn't sell it. That's how much he wanted to keep it. It's worth a lot. I almost don't want to play it for fear of dropping it and scratching the damn thing. But Kenne is one cool brother. The only reason he sold it to me is because "I know it's going to a good home and you'll take care of it".  :-)

Wow. That was so cool of him. He could have sold this on eBay and made a shitload more than I paid him. And he knows it too. I told him if he wanted to keep it that he could and it wouldn't bother me a bit. I didn't press it one bit and left it up to him entirely. This guy has been so generous to me I feel like I should buy him a Christmas present this year. But back to the Stones. This album was their one attempt at the psychedelic side of things. Seeing as it was London, 1967 and everyone from Pink Floyd to the Beatles were on the bus, as it were, the Stones post up their one and only psychedelic offering. A lot of people dismiss the album thinking that the band was trying to play off the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper which was released in June of 67 and this album was released in December.

Truth be told, this album is really, really good. They may have made only one attempt at the psych sound but what they came up with was beautiful and I have had this in my collection since I was 16. Now, 22 years later, things have come full circle and I have it on vinyl. I am so damn happy I could shit a golden Twinkie.  :-D

Today was a good day for collecting vinyl my fellow Paugers. If anyone has any requests for really good vinyl at a literal basement price, hit me up and I'll head over to Kenne's house and see if he has what you're looking for. 60,000 records and he's still buying more. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Ri©h

Guess I'm the thread killer today.  :-(

phatyphil

Quote from: rich on April 24, 2009, 05:18:48 PM
Guess I'm the thread killer today.  :-(

I'll throw down on this thread.  Here's the new records I got today, $5 a piece at a record store in Medford I'd never been too before called Musichead.

Bob Dylan & the Band - Planet Waves
John Lee Hooker - "Mad Mad Blues" Chess Masters Double Album
Howlin' Wolf  - His Greatest Sides Volume 1
Dr. John - In the Right Place (with none other than the Meters as his backing band)

I'm stoked, just halfway through the first disc of John Lee Hooker right now.

mattstick

Planet Waves is a weird album.

sls.stormyrider

Dylan also was involved in an Italian wine called Planet waves

http://thepour.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/expecting-wine/?pagemode=print

got a bottle

btw-nice wax
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Hit up OMGVinyl tonight an d blew some money straight away.

Beck is re-issuing One Foot In the Grave.
www.beck.com
cd, vinyl, mp3, FLAC, ALAC.

killer

StCarl

Quote from: mattstick on April 24, 2009, 06:24:49 PM

Planet Waves is a weird album.

I like Planet Waves.  It's one of the ones where you can feel the Minnesota.  I don't find myself having a use for both versions of Forever Young, however.
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

StCarl

Here's a shot of my buddy's turntable, why not...

StCarl

That guy can't even go to the bathroom in South America!

Ri©h

Here's a question for anyone that can make a good recommendation. I'm looking into buying a new cartridge/needle. Anyone have a favorite website they like to shop from that I can take a look at? Price is an option at the moment. I don't want to spend a shitload of money but at the same time I want quality at an affordable price.

rowjimmy

Needledoctor.com

Received a couple 7"s today.
The Phenomenal Handclap Band - "Baby" (vocal b/w instrum.)
&
a split 7" of Bama & The Family - "Feeling Good" b/w Asiko - "Drums of Asiko"

both on Truth & Soul.

postjack

If you are looking for a standard MM cartridge, fairly balanced from top to bottom, fun but without any extreme flaws, you can't do any better then the AT440MLa.  You used to be able to find it new for ~$100 but it looks like prices have gone up a little.  I've been rocking this little wonder for a few years now, great cartridge.  My other current cartridge is the KAB/Ortofon ProS30 integrated (only works with technics tonearms, screws directly into the tonearm in lieu of a head shell).  Tends toward the sterile side of neutral, but its ease of setup makes it worth it.  Still it runs ~$300 (~$200 when I bought it) and I still listen to the AT440MLa more.  I'm also a big fan of the DL-103, but its an MC and thus requires an MC capable phono or a step up transformer of some sort.  My DL-103 is currently busted and I have yet to buy a replacement, though I intend to.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Ri©h

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to need a new needle now. Mine broke off last night.  :frustrated:

I guess I wasn't being gentle enough during my micro surgery and it fell right off. It's okay though... I was looking for a new one anyhow so we're good. Should have a new one within a couple of days.  :-)

*whew*