News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Ghosts of the Forest Spring 2019 Tour

Started by pcr3, December 11, 2018, 02:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: gah on April 06, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
So yeah, last nights set list was the exact same, so I guess, that's how he's doing it. Same show every night.

It's a "show"
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 06, 2019, 01:29:24 PM
So yeah, last nights set list was the exact same, so I guess, that's how he's doing it. Same show every night.

It's a "show"

Yeah, he pretty much alluded to that in the RS article when he talked about the show's "arc".

mistercharlie

If that's the case, once the tour is over we can vote on the best versions of each song and make an 'Ideal GOTF Show' setlist. 

Yay, polls!  :banana:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sunrisevt

I sat (next to rj) for the whole set and was absolutely rapt the entire time.   
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

nab

Having lost my mom to cancer not 3 months ago, this material is both timely and therapeutic; and also a real kick in the dick. 

rowjimmy

That show was amazing. There are song to which one can dance— I got up and did so for a bit— but sitting and listening was very rewarding. Lots of ripping guitar action. So glad I went to that.

susep

Quote from: nab on April 07, 2019, 12:41:53 PM
Having lost my mom to cancer not 3 months ago, this material is both timely and therapeutic; and also a real kick in the dick.

Sorry to hear.  My exact sentiments early on as a close family member to me has inoperable cancer, the music has arrived at a time that is greatly appreciated.   

Caravan2001

Sorry to hear that dude.  I feel ya.

shoreline99

I've listened to the Portland show three times now. I'm sure this is amazing live, and it's truly heartfelt and moving music, but it's just not something I see myself going back to listen to multiple times.

Sorry if I'm in the minority here.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mistercharlie

Quote from: shoreline99 on April 07, 2019, 03:12:55 PM
I've listened to the Portland show three times now. I'm sure this is amazing live, and it's truly heartfelt and moving music, but it's just not something I see myself going back to listen to multiple times.

Sorry if I'm in the minority here.

I've listened to the same show a good 4 or 5 times now. I can see myself wanting to listen to The Green Truth all the time.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sunrisevt

Quote from: susep on April 07, 2019, 01:46:40 PM

Sorry to hear.  My exact sentiments early on as a close family member to me has inoperable cancer, the music has arrived at a time that is greatly appreciated.   

Holy shit, I'm sorry guys.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

condolences, cancer sucks

I need to give this a listen
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Yeah, vibes to you guys who have lost someone close to you.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Vibes to those that have lost someone close and are finding this tour and album cathartic.

My thoughts on Saturday night were:

50% Phish + 66% TAB = 150% Fun

I enjoyed it thoroughly, and can't wait to give the show and this album another listen. Also, first time at the Anthem in DC and it is a beautiful venue, and I'm looking forward to seeing more shows there in the future, preferably not during the Cherry Blossom Festival when the area was INSANELY crowded.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

Must say the Portland show has been in high rotation.  Impressive debut.  Makes me think about other "debut" shows in Trey's storied career. 
Knowing the back story, GOTF is a capsulation of Trey and his best friend Chris.  The arc consists of existential musings, memories and meditations if you will, as if walking through a forest or hiking trail.  From beautiful vistas to dark caves and aquatic areas in between, a full range of emotions and ecosystems, Chris and Trey immersed. 
Some of my favorites so far:

Intro>
Ghosts of the Forest
Drift While You're Sleeping
Sightless Escape
There's a Path Above
Beneath a Sea of Stars Parts 1 + 2 + 3
Ruby Waves
Wider

Musically the band is tight, well rehearsed.  Ray in particular plays very strong as does Fish.  Really no weaknesses.  Pretty much every song has something to offer.  Halfway Home features some of Trey's best use of vibrato in a very long time.  Visually impressive(I've only seen pics) w/ Jennifer and Celisse up front. 
Trey's best solo project yet.