News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fire Torre?

Started by tet, October 09, 2006, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma215

^^^ You are 100 percent correct.  It's not that they dont spend money (like alot of teams), but it's that they dont always spend wisely. A team doesnt need an all-star at every position to win the Series. The Yanks from 1996-2000 won w/ a few superstars (Jeter, Cone, Rivera, Boggs, Clemens, O'Neil, Martinez, Petite) and a bunch of role players (Leyritz, C. Hayes, Brosous sp, Girardi, Luis Sojo). The Yankees just havent had that killer instinct the past few years. a little adversery and they fold. Look at the veryday players on their roster who had a good series vs the Tigers. Jeter, Posada, and Abreu.  2 out of the 3 are hold-overs from 96-00.  Money needs to be invested wisely by the yanks and they need to get a little younger. And even tho Zito is getting roughed up tonight I would still like to see him in pinstripes next year.

sls.stormyrider

yep.
every good team has had stars NOT fold, and everyday guys that stepped up. Brosous was a great example. Bellhorn of the Sox, Stephanne Matteau of the NYRangers (remember him, Tet?) are a few examples.

I wouldn't criticize Torre for moving A-rod, I would criticize A-Rod for picking a bad time to go cold.
Now, I'm a lifelong Yankee hater (Mets, Bosox are my teams) so I'm happy about the way things turned out, but imo torre shouldn't be the fall guy.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

Quote from: slslbs on October 10, 2006, 09:46:15 PM
yep.
every good team has had stars NOT fold, and everyday guys that stepped up. Brosous was a great example. Bellhorn of the Sox, Stephanne Matteau of the NYRangers (remember him, Tet?) are a few examples.

I wouldn't criticize Torre for moving A-rod, I would criticize A-Rod for picking a bad time to go cold.
Now, I'm a lifelong Yankee hater (Mets, Bosox are my teams) so I'm happy about the way things turned out, but imo torre shouldn't be the fall guy.

ok, you get a smite just for bringing up Mattheau for no particular reason other than to annoy me.

now, how on earth are you a Mets AND a Bosox fan?  i know of one other on the planet like that, and he's a bit mis-wired in the head... so what gives??  you can only be the fan of a single team - there's no way you grew up just liking both.  things like that don't happen to kids growing up in NYC or in Boston.  and what the fuck did you do with yourself in 86, just hoped that they would tie???  or that Russia would nuke NYC before Game 7 was over???  you're crazy, and not just the Mariah Carey sort of crazy...  the real fuckin loony type!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

i'll ignore the smite. the matteau comment was made with ( :evil:) humor - you could've come back at me and asked me how many cups the Rangers and Devils have had since 94 and my answer would've been, well, at least the Rangers won that one in 94. But the point is that Matteau was a role player who scored key OT goals. Those are the kind of guys you need to win (like Broseus, Soto, Bellhorn, Gene Tenace, etc).
Eidt - add Buckey Dent to this category

Now, I guess I am crazy, mis-wired, and fucking looney, but here's my story.
I grew up in LI as a Mets fan and yankees hater, watched the Mets win the WS in 69 (actually listened to most of it on transistor radio in school - no nite WS back then)  moved to Providence in 84, rooted for the Mets in 86 (and 2000). And I firmly believe the goat was Calvin Shiraldi, not Bill Buckner (will happily explain later).
Anyway - Moved to Boston in 87 (just in time to see  :syf: + Bob Dylan at Foxboro) and started rooting for the Sox in 01 or 02, I forget exactly. Not too many Mets games on TV up here (lots of Giant games, though  :-)). I find it easy to root for the Mets and the Sox because the largest concentrations of yankee haters on earth, in any given day, are in Shea Stadium or Fenway.

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

DoW

everyone talks about the Yankess having an All Star at every position, but pitchign wins in the postseason.  Wang is great and they were very smart to keep him (remember, the Yanks traded away their whole farm sysem.  as soon as people said that up came Wang and Cano).  but the Yankees pitching is horrendous.  a good offense will win you a lot of games in a 162 game season but won't get you far in the playoffs.
Mussina is good, but did give up that 3 run lead against the Tigers.  Johnson no longer brings comfort and Wright is horrible.  the bullpen getting to Rivera is nothign to brag about either.

when the Yanks won, they had Rivera setting up Wettland in 1996.  then in later years, they had Mendoza, Stanton, Nelson
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

shoreline99

QuoteAnd I firmly believe the goat was Calvin Shiraldi, not Bill Buckner (will happily explain later).

Indeed.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.