News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W01: 12-07-1995 Niagara Falls Convention Center, Niagara Falls, NY

Started by Augustus, April 02, 2012, 06:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

If at all possible, this is one of the "lesser-known" December '95 shows.
It's a fatty.

QuotePhish
December 7th, 1995
Niagara Falls Convention Center
Niagara Falls, NY

Set 1

1. The Old Home Place [3:52]
2. The Curtain > [6:03]
3. AC/DC Bag [9:16]
4. Demand > [1:55]
5. Rift [5:41]
6. Slave To The Traffic Light [12:48]
7. Guyute [10:26]
8. Bouncing Around The Room [3:45]
9. Possum [14:08]
10. Hello My Baby [1:46]

Total Time [1:09:40]

Set 2

1. Split Open And Melt [17:35]
2. Strange Design [3:08]
3. Taste [7:36]
4. Reba [14:40]
5. Julius [6:46]
6. Sleepy Monkey [5:11]
7. Sparkle [3:29]
8. Mike's Song > [16:59]
9. Weekapag Groove [14:26]
10. Amazing Grace [3:26]

Encore

11. Uncle Pen [5:05]

Total Time [1:38:21]

Notes:
'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' tease during Split Open and Melt
'Pop Goes the Weasel' tease during Reba
Reba was unfinished

Lossless
Lossy

Enjoy.
a

DoW

I threw dec 95 on the ipod to liosten to over the next however long it takes me to go through them so I'll throw a review up of this one this week.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Caravan2001

Nice pick.  My wife was at this show.  She said the spray from the falls turned the whole viewing area into an ice rink and they just stood there for an hour watching people fall on their asses.  If you bring up this show all she will say is "it was SO cold"....Looking forward to reviewing!

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

This NAK source I posted is one of the best AUDs from all of the Fall Tour.

Home Place - First time that this was used as an opener. Fitting, considering this was the first (and only) time the band played The Falls.

Curtain - The other show opener. Pretty tight version. '95 saw a lot of Curtain > segues (a la Curtain > Tweezer and the killer Curtain > Stash from 06-17) and this is another one of them >>>

AC/DC - Hot transition. Keeping the energy high. Nice and chunky start to the jam. I know it's been noted a million times about recent Phish, but I really do miss how patient they were with their jams, even with songs like AC/DC that aren't overly "jammy", but they had the ability to slowly open up over the course of 10 minutes instead of the 6:30 minute race to the peak. Trey lays down some tension filled loops ~7, which leads into the first clean peak. Fiery version.

Demand - Someone needs to corner Trey in an elevator or something and tell him to bring this tune back into rotation. Was shelved for almost an entire year after this version and then was shelved from '96 > 12-31-2009. Played well.

Rift - Keeps the energy hot.

Slave - *LUV* the placement of this one. They started playing this more in first sets during '95, which I think fits better than late in a second set. Again, patient start with Fish on the rim shots and Trey delicately fading in and out of the mix. So good. Fish switching to the ride and snare just before 6 minutes in. Entire band becomes more pronounced. Trey's leads don't even start until 8 minutes in. Patient. Plenty of chorus-drenched chords leading up to the first peak note at 10:30. True peak at 11:10. One of my Top 3 versions of Slave.

Guyute - Brought back on this Tour after being shelved for 50 shows. 1 of 7 from all of 1995. Super tight.

Bouncing - around people to get to the bathroom in time as to not miss the beginning of...

Possum - Standard intro. Lotsa tension building around the 7:30 range. Little peaks follow, but they are building something bigger. More proper peakage ensues, but they are building something bigger. Nice release at 10:30, but that wasn't it. I feel it. It's coming. I can feel it! Huge tension. More tension. More tension....Fish thinks it's time but it's not. And then it is. Big Fat Load directly inside of your mouth. That's what time it is.

Hello - Debuted earlier on the Tour and played frequently. Nice cap to a perfect set.

Split - Coming out fierce. Near flawless composed sections. In a Gadda teases at 5:40. Mike controls the modulation ~7:55 creating a nice series of tension filled changes. Real chaos prominent after the ten minute mark. Drugs. You're on them. They start to reel it back in 2 minutes later playing a nice mix of structure/disorder. They hint at the ending, but there is still much more jam left in them. Gets real Melty with around 2 minutes left. Quiets down a bit and finishes out strong.

Design - Still new. Crowd has no clue. Rhymes!

Taste - Back-to-back newer tunes. During the "Fog that Surrounds" period. Aside from the Fish vox, I like these shorter versions.

Reba - '95 had some super fast versions of Reba (10-25-1995 comes to mind) and then there's this one. Faster than fuck. Surprisingly, the composed section is barely affected. Fish and Mike link up nicely at the start of the jam. Nothing overbearing either. Trey rolls the tone knob back up at 7:25. Pop Goes the Weasel tease shortly thereafter. Sweet peak at 10:55, but this one has an epic peak. That epic peak starts at 12:05 and doesn't really drop until 13:15, while Mike and Fish just mash the entire time. Big miscue of when to end it, which turns into an atypical feedback jam. No whistling.

Julius - I'm a big fan of Trey's lead work on the '94/'95 versions of Julius, but this might be the only one where Page actually leads the jam. Silky return to the lyrics.

Monkey - Kind of around the time when Sleeping Monkey became a little rare. 1 of 6 from 1995. Sounds like Fish swallows a fly or some shit during this one.

Sparkle - Not quite Brawny.

Mike's - Faster tempo. You can tell that this is gonna rip. Typical Animal Unleashed until 7:15, then things get meaty. It's cool to hear these December versions and to hear slight hints as to what would be the 12-31-1995 Mike's. Mini-kit after the change with underlying loop. Playing with speed of the loop. When Trey returns to the guitar, you can hear the Weekapaug teases start up. Trying to recreate the Hershey transition, but it doesn't happen all that smoothly, thanks in part to Fishman's brief stop.

Weekapaug - Beefed up version with tons of energy. They bring it down at 6:15. >>>

DDLJ - Always a fan. Love how this ties in with MSG, just like the Bozeman Tweezer tied in with the Providence Bowie on the NYE Run. Bring it back! Mike with some down low repeats. Maze fakeout by Fish. Tons of space and loops. Love how they just leave it with that.

Grace - Amazing.

U Penn - In the rare encore slot.

Great show all around with FOUR 14+ minute jams in the second set.
I give it an A.

mbw

Quote from: Augustus on April 02, 2012, 01:43:26 PM
I feel it. It's coming. I can feel it! Huge tension. More tension. More tension....Fish thinks it's time but it's not. And then it is. Big Fat Load directly inside of your mouth. That's what time it is.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

looking forward to listening to this show....i think.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 02, 2012, 02:17:04 PM
Quote from: Augustus on April 02, 2012, 01:43:26 PM
I feel it. It's coming. I can feel it! Huge tension. More tension. More tension....Fish thinks it's time but it's not. And then it is. Big Fat Load directly inside of your mouth. That's what time it is.

looking forward to listening to this show....i think.

I was really expecting a... "and then, suddenly, I lost interest."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

The peak of this Reba (albeit botched) is possibly my ALL TIME favorite Phish "tension-building peak" moment.

Absolute insanity.  It just keeps going, and going and wrapping around and aarrrouuunnndddd, up , up and UP!  :wtu:

Rest of the show ain't no sloucher either!
Bring in the dude!

Tomapella

Directly in the mouth.

Don't know if I'd heard this show before now, but as with any of Fall 95, it's insane.

mattstick

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on April 03, 2012, 08:06:17 AM

The closer Phish plays to Canada, the better it gets.

Coventry's less than 25 miles from Canada... I'd say you're dead on!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phil

I listened through once yesterday and will probably do so one more time today before I actually sit down to write my review. There's just so much going on with this show, I'm having a hard time digesting it all at once.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

natronzero

If they played Possum like this now, they wouldn't have to play it so often.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

phil

Quote from: natronzero on April 03, 2012, 09:18:28 AM
If they played Possum like this now, they wouldn't have to play it so often.

I was thinking the same thing when I was listening to it yesterday
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?