News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

have you heard about...?

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, December 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastfingers12

The similarity is there. That progression is used so much in western music though, so its hard for me to say that they ripped that one piece of music off. These music cases are tricky in a court room. Who says that two people in different times and places couldn't come up with the same riff. I'm curious to see what happens with this.
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 12, 2016, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: slslbs on April 12, 2016, 12:12:47 PM
Did LZ do it more than other artists, or are they targeted because they have more money?

one I just heard about - listen to the chord progression of  Werewolves of London, then Sweet Home Alabama

LZ stole complete verses and melodies without crediting the songwriters. It's one thing to cop a riff as that is bound to happen with all of the music out there, it's another to completely steal the idea.

ETA. I still love LZ and always will, I just respect them less.
true - whole lotta love being an example (I couldn't see the whole vid you posted, blocked at work).
Once you get the reputation of doing something, you're sort of presumed guilty - there they go again.

on another,semi tangential note, LZ's crew back in the day had more than their share of thugs. Not that anyone in the RnR business is a choir boy, but the story in Bill Graham Presents is particularly disturbing in that they (crew and one of the band members) actually beat the shit out of people.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 12, 2016, 09:04:06 AM
Quote from: fastfingers12 on April 11, 2016, 05:33:15 PM
http://www.jambase.com/article/stairway-heaven-lawsuit-led-zeppelin-set-trial

I've been following this for a while. There's a lot of money on the line and a the claim is not easily dismissed (and the judge clearly agrees.)

Curious to see how this plays before a jury.

just heard the Spirit track starting at :44 on youtube.  It definitely sounds like the intro to STH except for the very last part.  coincidence or rip-off?
interestingly but not related to this case, Randy California used to play w/ Jimi Hendrix when Jimi had his Rain flowers group in the Village the Summer Chas Chandler "discovered" him. 

On a related note, I've maintained that  :phish: 's 46 Days is just like the Rolling Stones' Slave.   

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

Any of you guys remember that movie Flight of the Navigator?  Kid's not doing so well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36215388
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Quote from: ytowndan on May 06, 2016, 07:13:15 AM
Any of you guys remember that movie Flight of the Navigator?  Kid's not doing so well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36215388

We taped the first half of that movie off TV, and I must've watched it a hundred times. I think I've only seen the second half once.
Is this still Wombat?

anthrax

http://m.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/camping-approved-for-struggling-alpine-valley-music-theatre-b99729196z1-380291251.html

QuoteCamping is coming to Alpine Valley Music Theatre, a move that an official said could help revive the struggling East Troy amphitheater.

The Walworth County Zoning Agency Thursday unanimously approved plans to convert a 25.5-acre parking lot at Alpine Valley into a campsite. It would accommodate 554 camping areas — including 45 RV areas — for up to 3,324 campers for concerts at the venue, which is operated by Live Nation.

The final numbers are contingent on approval from the County Board of an adjustment to push back the initially proposed boundary for the site.

Adding camping changes "the dynamic and the business model" for Alpine, Brian Rutkowski, general manager for Alpine Valley Music Theatre, told the agency at Thursday's meeting, and could help bring touring acts and festivals "historically tied to a camping-type facility."

Losing the parking lot means the music venue's capacity would drop by 9,900 people, but that also could be attractive to acts, agents and promoters who have been concerned about filling what's traditionally been a 37,000-capacity venue.

"You guys have all seen our attendance numbers drop down, our show counts drop down," Rutkowski said. "We're trying to rebound, change with the times, and bring back a facility that has been a great asset in the area and allow people to come in and enjoy shows more frequently."

In a 2014 interview with the Journal Sentinel, Mark Campana, co-president of North America concerts for Live Nation, said having expansive camping options at Alpine, similar to sites at popular music festivals like Bonnaroo in Tennessee, would be a "game-changer....That's when we go from two, three shows a year to seven, eight, 10 shows a year." Alpine is not permitted to have more than 18 concerts each season.

Campana said the community has been anxious about camping following some notorious Grateful Dead shows at Alpine in the 1980s.

"There were some bad scenes, as far as people parking their car in the middle of the road or camping in people's backyards," Campana said.

But Live Nation reached out to the venue's neighbors to offer assurances, Rutkowski said Thursday.

The approval follows 18 months of negotiations between Live Nation, the Walworth County Sheriff's Department, the county's planning and zoning department and Lafayette Township.

Rutkowski said there are plans to offer camping for just two shows this summer, when the Dave Matthews Band plays the venue July 1 and 2.

This summer's season — one of the venue's busiest in years — features shows by Zac Brown Band June 25 and 26; supergroup Dead and Company, featuring Grateful Dead members and John Mayer, July 9 and 10; and

mbw

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

anthrax

...and the cops are going to be all over those campgrounds.  i'm pretty over alpine at this point.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: anthrax on May 21, 2016, 10:08:23 AM
...and the cops are going to be all over those campgrounds.  i'm pretty over alpine at this point.

yeah, something tells me it won't quite be the Alpine free-for-all camping that I heard about in the 80's/90's...
Bring in the dude!