News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/08 - Darien Lake PAC - Darien, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Caravan2001, June 08, 2011, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I've been trying to find a way to say something similar... if they're not going to jam they should play shows like this.

postjack

Nellie Kane had "it" for me. I don't know why, but it gave me the chilly teary-eyed heebie jeebies on the way to work today. I didn't even think I liked bluegrass anymore.

mellow mood was great too.

short drive to work.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

phishtube

Interesting energy last night under the big tent...

With so many first timers for the tour it was really hard not to be dissapointed when they aborted what could have been a Golden Age jam of epic proportions. They made up for it with a DEEP Weekapaug and inspired 2K1. There was no going through the motions. I'm not even going to comment on the first set due to my bias for that kind of 1st set setlist. :)  SMOKIN'
-pay attention, focus, and stay in the moment-

UncleEbinezer

I have not heard anything, but wow, its certainly getting some love.  Can't wait to hear.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

Nice of Trey to drop an early Happy Birthday tease into 2001 for me.

McGrupp

Psyched to listen. Looks like the most "different" setlist of this tour so far, and certainly the most interesting.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

Unfortunately when Trey is mixed higher than everyone else like he is, it's not really feasible to ignore the instrument that is the loudest.

/reality

Still looking forward to checking this out though.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

macaronihead

Buffffffalooooo Billlllll(s)!!! ha fun to hear that. All us poor Bills fans had a blast with that.

khalpin

Nellie Kane - So what did the sign say?  Solid.  Good vocals
Mellow Mood - Trey's solo started off sounding a bit awkward, but after a couple measures I thought it worked okay.  The vocals sounded good on this one, which is nice because it's like nails on a chalkboard when they're really off on this.
Buffalo Bill - Kickdown!  Short and sweet.
Kill Devil Falls - Nice and energetic.  I dug the solo.  It seemed smooth and not forced.
Wolfman's - I'm noticing a trend here.  They actually sound tight.  The jam isn't adventurous, but it IS good.  Love what Trey does from 7:00 - 7:05.  Reminds me of the old days.  More playing like this please. 
Rift - Real slow.  And a bit of a painful botch by Trey midway through with a few sour notes.  This one ain't making the highlight reel.
Undermind - Solid
Ride Captain Ride - Not a fan of the song, but seemed to be a decent version.  Although, the end seemed like they might've been staring at each other for a couple seconds thinking, "I forget...are we going to jam this or not?"
Ice - Trey starts in the wrong key.  Fishman goes "what the hell?" and almost aborts but then continues.  Ouch.  Too bad...because the rest of it is actually real tight.  Page was starting to sound real nice in the "jam" section.  Would've been nice if Fishman let him have at it for a little bit before kicking back into the reprise.
DFB/Brian & Robert - bathroom break
46 Days - Needs more cowbell.  Solid.
Limb by Limb - This one sounds good, too.  They really are on the same page here.  Tight Phish!  It was moving along real nicely but then Trey does some "out of key soloing" around 5 minutes in and then again from 6:00 - 6:15.  That's just rough to listen to.  He seems to do that a lot nowadays.
Character Zero - Set closer.  I went back and listened to Trey's solo a second time, because I was pretty turned off by it while not paying too close attention on my first listen.  It's actually not bad, but it seemed at the end that Trey ran out of ideas and wanted to just end it.  Which actually is a good thing.  I'd much rather Character Zero be concise.

All in all, this is a great 3.0 first set.  For 1.0, it'd be a solid set but grading on a 3.0 curve, it's great.

khalpin

Quote from: macaronihead on June 09, 2011, 11:14:32 AM
Buffffffalooooo Billlllll(s)!!! ha fun to hear that. All us poor Bills fans had a blast with that.
I didn't put two and two together.  Darien...That's great!

Multibeast12

I must say all the hype is making me excited to listen to this show.

On a side note, Phish really love playing Harry Hood this summer don't they. They have a lot of repeats and they have other songs they could play. Kinda getting turned off when every other show has a Hood, #line, and Zero in it. Either way. That seems to be my hate for today

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

blatboom

rowjimmy

Except that song blows.

BTW, the sign was brought and help by the dudes from OPT who were tweeting for yemblog last night.