News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

can  I do a time machine backup on a disc that has other stuff on it as long as there is enough space?

eta never mind
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

I would personally be doing a Migration rather than a restore of the Time Machine Backup...  that way, it copies only what is needed to the new computer and OS.  Some people do have problems with this because of older extensions/apps sometimes, but I would say that it should work 99% of the time without any hassle. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

Yep. I wound up doing a migration. I set it up before work, it was done by the time I came home. It was pretty smooth.

VDB

My wife, who works from the house one day a week, managed to get her company to send down an unused 27-in iMac for our home office. It's a mid-2011 but was previously used for graphic design so the specs are solid. I'm setting up a little command center for myself here with the old iMac (currently only a media server; probably will just transfer everything over) and my MBP, which I plan to connect to the iMac via Thunderbolt  most times to use the big computer as an external display. I had a Thunderbolt display at a previous job a couple years back, so it's nice to have this much real estate again. And even the built-in speakers are a notable upgrade.

P.S. Damn, Thunderbolt cables are expensive.
Is this still Wombat?

tet

Quote from: VDB on July 21, 2016, 01:21:08 PM
P.S. Damn, Thunderbolt cables are expensive.

indeed, but they are fantastic.  the speeds are just unreal.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Any of you guys keep your iTunes media on an external drive? If so, is it still just as easily accessible from networked thingies like Apple TV for streaming via the computer? I'm facing a few options with respect to my Big Data Move, which I can detail out further, but my first question to address is that iTunes library one.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

For sure. My iTunes is on a 5TB Thunderbolt drive.

VDB

Word. I'm thinking of going the external route, which will simplify a few things in my life provided nothing else re: accessing the library changes.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Quote from: VDB on July 23, 2016, 12:10:04 AM
Word. I'm thinking of going the external route, which will simplify a few things in my life provided nothing else re: accessing the library changes.

I stream 1080p videos to the AppleTV from the Thunderbolt external drive.  I used to stream 720p content over the Firewire 800 connection from my Drobo without any issue (RIP).

VDB

Would a USB drive even work? After all, it wouldn't take 2 hours to simply copy a movie file. Also, are you navigating to your computer via ATV just like the library was on the computer itself?
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Certainly USB3.0 would work. I use the AppleTV remote to navigate.

VDB

This guy seems to think USB 2.0 for an external iTunes library is OK. I'll also investigate Firewire 800. Unfortunately, the computer I'm plugging into doesn't have USB 3.0.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

I been using the external route for a while. I have one of these

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RuggedR-4TB?adpos=1o1&creative=55226102161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIvkxei5j84CFQqIfgodfXMJrA

I have a laptop and need the external plugged in every time I use iTunes. Can also keep a small music folder on your HD with stuff you want to listen to more often so you dont need the external for those couple albums/shows

VDB

Now I'm on the fence between an external dual-drive dock (probably exposed bare drives) and an NAS. I like the idea of keeping everything enclosed in an NAS, and even though it's networked, ethernet should be speedier than USB 2.0 into the back of my desktop. On the other hand, a USB 3.0 drive dock would provide a little futureproofing there. On the other hand, with an NAS I think I could play directly from the iTunes library to different computers (although not simultaneously) without having to go through Home Sharing. On the other hand, an NAS is pricier. On the other hand, maybe I'd rather clone periodically than use RAID.

Decisions...

Is this still Wombat?