News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

A common problem, is turning into a major dilemma

Started by leshphilen, February 27, 2010, 12:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

The Zen is a Tube output stage.......nothin special.....

So basically, you run the ANALOG output of a digital source thru that unit before hitting the amp......VIOLA! instant tube gratification.

And I'll second Decware......I've bought many box plans from them over the years......Top notch engineering. They certainly have their shit together in that aspect. I'm starting on an Imperial Folded Horn for my system at home.......it's the size of a fridge.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Marmar on March 02, 2010, 11:49:49 AM
I'm starting on an Imperial Folded Horn for my system at home.......it's the size of a fridge.

good freakin' god. that's a step I have not taken......yet. Due to work, I have to live in an apartment while my system collects dust at my house in another city. As such, my style has been cramped of late. I'm running little mission 753 towers in my apartment and I still get complaints.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

postjack

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 02, 2010, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: Marmar on March 02, 2010, 11:49:49 AM
I'm starting on an Imperial Folded Horn for my system at home.......it's the size of a fridge.

good freakin' god. that's a step I have not taken......yet. Due to work, I have to live in an apartment while my system collects dust at my house in another city. As such, my style has been cramped of late. I'm running little mission 753 towers in my apartment and I still get complaints.

have you explored the zany world of headphone hi-fi? speakers are always preferable but for situations like yours sometimes cans are the best option. you can achieve excellent resolution for not a lot of scratch, compared to speakers.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Marmar

IMHO, nothing beats a large volume of air being moved in harmony.........there's just something about open space......

Don't get me wrong, I love me some cans to "get inside my head" but I just wouldn't be able to live without the massive vibrations of bass guitar and kick drums and synths......

Hi, my name is Marmar and I am addicted to bass.

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

postjack

Quote from: Marmar on March 02, 2010, 12:56:59 PM
IMHO, nothing beats a large volume of air being moved in harmony.........there's just something about open space......

Don't get me wrong, I love me some cans to "get inside my head" but I just wouldn't be able to live without the massive vibrations of bass guitar and kick drums and synths......

absolutely.  i used to be a die hard headphones guy, but once i started hearing properly setup speaker systems... headphones ain't got shit.  :rawk: of course soundstage and imaging and all that stuff is lovely, but its the visceral impact that I crave.  when Steve Hackett hits that bass pedal in "Can Utility and the Coast Liners" and the low frequencies come soaring across the room at me... goddamn its hard not to be moved by that.

having said that, I still go through periods where I really enjoy my headphone rig, and I always recommend cans to people in situations like superfreakie's.

i definitely think there is a place for outstanding cans like the Stax Omega II, which IMO is the greatest headphone in the world.  out of my price range and unfortunately my head is too damn big for them anyway.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Superfreakie

please direct me to your counseling group.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Marmar

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 02, 2010, 01:34:07 PM

please direct me to your counseling group.

We meet in the speaker lab at McIntosh every 3rd Tuesday of the month.....

MiamiPhish

Why, is there a comma in this title?  It's, driving me crazy.

thatfargone

Quote from: MiamiPhish on March 03, 2010, 12:29:59 PM
Why, is there a comma in this title?  It's, driving me crazy.

Great, now, I'm obsessing over it, now.  It, makes no sense.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

Marmar

maybe they, just took a writing class in Shatner?

Superfreakie

kellerb

Quote from: Marmar on March 03, 2010, 07:37:53 PM
maybe they, just took a writing class in Shatner?
I, think that, marmar might be, onto a lead here.

twatts

Can anybody recommend a true 24bit USB DAC that's less expensive than the Benchmark???

Thanks,

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Marmar

ya....gimme one sec....

check this bitch out.....this is gonna get double posted but it needs to be....

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/Sondigo_Sirocco.php

Marmar

Quote from: twatts on March 03, 2010, 11:07:08 PM
Can anybody recommend a true 24bit USB DAC that's less expensive than the Benchmark???

Thanks,

Terry

what kind of outputs do you need?......RCA?....1/4"?

RCA -

Digital and Analog 24/192 -