News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

8/22 Magnaball Night 2 - Post-Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, August 23, 2015, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Bobafett on August 24, 2015, 10:25:48 PM
Drive-in set is good.  Real good.  Like, THE goods. How do you practice or learn to do that and not wanna just do that?!?

Because the chompers wanna hear Trey sanggg I WHEEEEELED AROUNDDD BECAUSE IIIIIIIIII DIDNT HEAR WAT YOU HAD SAID and throw glow sticks in the air when Trey yells SUZY.  They don't give a shit about transcendental improv, or having religious moments during jams. 

People talked over Divided Sky on Saturday.  That tells you everything. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

phil

Pretty sure the only wrong way to enjoy Phish is to get worked up over how other people enjoy Phish

wtf is a chomper by the way?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 24, 2015, 07:36:45 PM
Yeah....  Ghost needs a shelving for a bit.  12 minutes at a fest?  Time for a break.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Ghost is a good song with or without jamming it to 22minutes. Are 22minute versions preferable? Maybe.
2012-07-01 demonstrates that they don't have to be lengthy to jam and, imo, the version from Magnaball, which we shouldn't even be discussing in this thread because it happened the first night, does some pretty cool stuff in the time they devote to it.

sophist

I thought the Atlanta Ghost from this year was perfect in terms of placement and how it hit a stride in the first set.  The Raleigh Ghost is demonic enough that it is a perfect precursor to No Quarter. 

Fucking Size Snobs.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :sbw:  :evil:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM

This is my new sig line.

jam>

I agree that the jam in Cities sounds like Mind Left Body, but do you really think think the band consciously covers the GD jam? I tend to think it's a jam that doesn't warrant being labeled.

Similarly, the Randal's Island Night 3 has a Mind Left Body/Norwegian Wood sounding jam in Light (I think it is).

mehead

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 24, 2015, 07:36:45 PM
Yeah....  Ghost needs a shelving for a bit.  12 minutes at a fest?  Time for a break.

Ghost is a good song with or without jamming it to 22minutes. Are 22minute versions preferable? Maybe.
2012-07-01 demonstrates that they don't have to be lengthy to jam and, imo, the version from Magnaball, which we shouldn't even be discussing in this thread because it happened the first night, does some pretty cool stuff in the time they devote to it.

THIS

I dug the ATLversion and love the placement of it - mixing things up.  And this magna version, while I'm still bummed that it was ripcorded for R & R, IMO it is still a hot version.

Assuming Gumbo didnt even listen to it?  Get over the length of songs people. 
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

danje

Where was the band located during the drive-in set?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: danje on August 25, 2015, 07:57:05 PM

Not that I know first hand but I heard they were behind the stage.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

zimbra

Re-listened to the Tweez>Caspian today...this rips, especially the Caspian. 
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 25, 2015, 08:06:07 PM

Behind the screen; based on photos I saw during the set.

Gundo

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 25, 2015, 08:06:07 PM

Behind the screen; based on photos I saw during the set.
I was up close. They were definitely behind the screen.

shoreline99

Yes, behind the screen. I thought the whole drive-in movie / screen setup was pretty awesome.