News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-07-26 MSG, New York, NY

Started by PIE-GUY, July 26, 2017, 11:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

7/26/2017
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY

I: White Winter Hymnal, Cars Trucks Busses, My Soul, Roses Are Free, The Long Fuse, Gumbo, Yarmouth Rd., Pebbles and Marbles, Farmhouse, Tube

II: Carini>Mr. Completely>1999>Steam>No Quarter, Character Zero

E: Powderfinger!

*FTP a capella - Fleet Foxes cover
! FTP - Neil Young cover

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

pcr3

1st set felt uninspired, maybe even drained from last night. Until Tube. Then they pulled it together for a dark/light magic ride of a second set. Even Zero had a little something. Killer encore, as well.

I love this band. Counting the days until I hop on this ride.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

anthrax

2nd set raged, especially 1999 and Steam  :rockout: :rockout:

Undermind

Quote from: pcr3 on July 26, 2017, 11:37:15 PM
1st set felt uninspired, maybe even drained from last night. Until Tube. Then they pulled it together for a dark/light magic ride of a second set. Even Zero had a little something. Killer encore, as well.

I love this band. Counting the days until I hop on this ride.
I liked the Pebbles and Marbles bustout too but yeah overall first set was avg 3.0 minus the tube jam. 
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

Great jamming throughout the second set interrupted by some poopy segues. Bummed about some of the selections that I'll now be missing this weekend but I like this little ride we're on.
Is this still Wombat?

aphineday

I mean just... Powderfinger.
I can't tell you how much joy this brings me.
I don't think I would ever scoff at seeing that in a set.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Gol D. Roger

,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

pfft.

First set is a good set if you can let it stand apart from the night before.

Also, I corrected the setlist. Powderfinger is a Neil Young song, not a Crazy Horse song.

mattstick

All the feelings when Trey sings Neil Young.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 27, 2017, 09:01:55 AM

Also, I corrected the setlist. Powderfinger is a Neil Young song, not a Crazy Horse song.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. It was first released on Rust Never Sleeps, right? Neil and CH on that one... but he's played it with other bands including the MG's in the 90's. But you are right. It's a Neil song. But are there songs he wrote that can be called CH songs despite him writing them?  I'm no expert.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 27, 2017, 09:19:14 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 27, 2017, 09:01:55 AM

I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. It was first released on Rust Never Sleeps, right? Neil and CH on that one... but he's played it with other bands including the MG's in the 90's. But you are right. It's a Neil song. But are there songs he wrote that can be called CH songs despite him writing them?  I'm no expert.

If he wrote them, they're his. Crazy Horse, while longtime friends and collaborators, were also just another in a long line of backing bands that Neil used and discarded as whim took him to different places.

Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown (actually entitled "Downtown") was co-written with Danny Whitten of Crazy Horse and appears on their self-titled record (no Neil) so it is often referred to as a Crazy Horse tune.

Gumbo72203

That second set was a lot of fun once I tuned in!  I had a gig to work with my band, so we came in during 1999 on the ride home.  That jam was wild!  The song itself was super sloppy but who cares haha.  The rest of the jam was white hot!  I felt like i was listening to 2.0 Phish.... exploring and pushing and pushing until they found the peak.  Not giving up.  Making it happen.  Love it. 

Steam was all sorts of dark and weird too.  It was funny, because when the Steam jam hit, we happened upon a stop light that must have a broken road sensor because it was 10:45ish and there was not traffic coming on the main thoroughfare, but we ended up like.... 12 or 13 cars deep on this side road waiting to turn and just sat there for a good 6-7 minutes listening to the Steam jam.  There was like 5 cars ahead of our van, and they weren't going (maybe this was a big social control experiment by a university) and eventually they all said "Fuck it" and just went once the reprise came back haha.  I was worried because the studio is only a few minutes from that light and we wouldn't have had time to hear the whole jam before we had to get back and unload everything. 

Listening to this Tube now.  Liking it!  REALLY bummed I missed my Pebbles and Marbles again, on it's fucking bullshit once-every-3-years rotation.  I don't understand the issue they have with this song.  It seems Trey struggles with the jam though, not sure really what to play. 

In other notes this is A) the longest stand-alone Tube and B) only the 2nd time it has ever closed a set (first time as a full song though!)
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

So, this microjam in Gumbo is fucking cool as hell!  I'm having a thought i've never had about Phish aside from 1.0 material:  They're able to get to a cool space where even though the versions are short, the material is still super satisfying and creative!  I hardly ever feel this way about 3.0 stuff, like "oh that was a cool Sample" or whatever, in regards to the non-standout songs. 

But Fishman dropping right to that ride cymbal beat at the outset of the Gumbo jam....  it's just perfect.  Everything is in it's right place.  Unhurried.  Relaxed.  Confident.  Just perfect.  Sure, I would have liked it to be 15 minutes long, but that was fantastic. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

WhatstheUse?

Another solid Phish show. I was admittedly a bit worn out for this one, but still had a blast

First set was pretty standard -- sick jam in the Long Fuse (my favorite Chilling/Thrilling tune) nice Gumbo MicroJam and you can't go wrong with a jammy Tube.

Carini>Mr. completely>1999 had some fantastic jamming but terribly forced segues. I never expected to hear them play 1999 again. The set lost me after that segment.... although, even Zero had some extra fun interplay.  Did not know that was a Neil Young song for the encore. I guess that's cool. Didn't really end things on the highest note exactly...

These first 5 shows have been quite above average in general by 3.0 standards. I can't wait to see what they pull off in the next 8! I can't believe I'm missing Friday and Saturday :(
Bring in the dude!