News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yonder Mountain String Band

Started by mistercharlie, June 05, 2010, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Quote from: antelope19 on November 05, 2013, 09:47:06 AM
I freaking love these guys.  Go see them.  It's much easier to see why people like them when you're at the show, as opposed to waiting for something to jump out at you while listening at home.  They always bring a ton of energy and are clearly having a lot of fun on stage.

Meh...  I live in Raleigh and can't throw a stick w/o hitting an awesome bluegrass band...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

gah

Quote from: Kentucky Marmalade on November 05, 2013, 10:07:31 AM
I freaking love these guys.  Go see them.  It's much easier to see why people like them when you're at the show, as opposed to waiting for something to jump out at you while listening at home.  They always bring a ton of energy and are clearly having a lot of fun on stage.

Meh...  I live in Raleigh and can't throw a stick w/o hitting an awesome bluegrass band...

Terry

you should try though, just throwing sticks around.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

twatts

Quote from: gah on November 05, 2013, 10:10:37 AM

Terry

I have...  I've seen them at least twice that I can remember...

Just doesn't do it for me...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

gah

Quote from: Kentucky Marmalade on November 05, 2013, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: gah on November 05, 2013, 10:10:37 AM

Terry

I have...  I've seen them at least twice that I can remember...

Just doesn't do it for me...

Terry

I'm not talking about seeing yonder man. I'm saying you should just walk around raleigh throwing sticks at people!

sophist

Yonder always has the drunkest crowds I have ever seen, at least here in Atlanta, that's always the case. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Quote from: sophist on November 05, 2013, 12:29:25 PM
Yonder always has the drunkest crowds I have ever seen, at least here in Atlanta, that's always the case.

Maybe that's why lope is saying it one of those where you have to be at the show to appreciate it, because it doesn't translate over the tapes.

But man, if the music can't stand on it's own without the experience of being there, then the experience of being there isn't enough motivation for me to see the band.

sophist

I'd agree with you.  I've never been a huge fan of them.  Albeit, I have also never been hardcore into bluegrass like others on this board.  I actually think the Stringdusters are the better band. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

DoW

Jeff Austin is leaving the band  :-(
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Gundo

It's hard for me to believe that this is really the end of the original line-up. These guys have been dear to my heart for so long. They were the lightbulb moment band for my relationship with bluegrass music. It will never be Yonder without those four guys together. Especially without Jeff.

This blows

:cry:

mistercharlie

Sad news indeed. Jeff was the heart of Yonder. And Yonder was the only 'jam band' that I still got enjoyment out of going to see. I even skipped this past Yonder tour just because Jeff wasn't with them on it.

:shakehead:

After reading the announcement I'm a little disappointed to know that it's not because Jeff wants to stay at home with his new family, but because he wants to pursue a solo career. Boo this man!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

JPhishman

Man this hurts. Yonder and NW string summit have been a part of my life for nearly ten years now. Jeff Austin is an incredible front man. I can only hope that, like many similar situations, it won't last.

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

whatapiper

Quote from: JPhishman on April 23, 2014, 04:18:07 PM
Man this hurts. Yonder and NW string summit have been a part of my life for nearly ten years now. Jeff Austin is an incredible front man. I can only hope that, like many similar situations, it won't last.

Beyond excited for my first NW string summit this year with the family. Yonder for three nights is nothing to complain about.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

antelope19

This one hurts.  I just saw this 5 minutes ago.  Glad I got to see them last summer at least.    :|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

DoW

seeing them with Allie Saturday night.  can't wait.
RRE is also playing which is just as awesome.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate