News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

AnCo 2011 Summer Tour

Started by sophist, April 20, 2011, 08:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatfargone

Now THIS I'm psyched about.

How many people not seeing AnCo this summer are gonna wish in 15 years they saw them "back when?" :evil:
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

sophist

I agree man.  The leap in venue size is monumental in its own right, but for them to play at Merriweather and it's relation to their album is a tale of tales for generations following us.  I have no doubt that 30-40 years from now people will be citing Animal Collective as one of the biggest influences of my generation, and I think the impact is already felt on a base level with some music.  Bands and artists like the Ruby Suns, Sufjan Stevens, Akron/Family, Tame Impala, and Fleet Foxes are all incorporating their influence into a more conventional sound.  To me, it's like how no one talks about the Zombies or Spaceman 3 influencing bigger bands of their generation.  The vocals on any Spaceman 3 album have that Brian Wilson "sound" but they were doing it at the same time as Brain Wilson. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

I'm listening to their set from ATP.  HOLY FUCK. 

So fucking pumped. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: sophist on May 25, 2011, 01:51:29 PM
The vocals on any Spaceman 3 album have that Brian Wilson "sound" but they were doing it at the same time as Brain Wilson.

Say what?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

barnesy305

I agree man.  The leap in venue size is monumental in its own right, but for them to play at Merriweather and it's relation to their album is a tale of tales for generations following us.  I have no doubt that 30-40 years from now people will be citing Animal Collective as one of the biggest influences of my generation, and I think the impact is already felt on a base level with some music.  Bands and artists like the Ruby Suns, Sufjan Stevens, Akron/Family, Tame Impala, and Fleet Foxes are all incorporating their influence into a more conventional sound.  To me, it's like how no one talks about the Zombies or Spaceman 3 influencing bigger bands of their generation.  The vocals on any Spaceman 3 album have that Brian Wilson "sound" but they were doing it at the same time as Brain Wilson.

Spacemen 3 came out in the 80s actually.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on May 26, 2011, 11:15:57 PM
The vocals on any Spaceman 3 album have that Brian Wilson "sound" but they were doing it at the same time as Brain Wilson.

Say what?

To be fair to Sophist, Brian Wilson might have been doing that same sound in the 80's too.
:police:

barnesy305

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 27, 2011, 01:20:48 AM

Say what?

To be fair to Sophist, Brian Wilson might have been doing that same sound in the 80's too.

Most of his 80s were spent trying to keep his mind together.

sophist

Say what?
Sorry, I wasn't clear (that's what I get for rushing a post).  I'm not talking about the beach boys sound.  I think Wilson shifted sounds (I've always found his solo stuff to be a bit more experimental), and if you'll recall he put a self titled solo album in the 80's.  '88 I believe.  Anyway, I'm comparing that kind of mutual development of heavy reverb style vocals with harmonies. 
Quote from: barnesy305 on May 27, 2011, 07:21:53 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 27, 2011, 01:20:48 AM

Say what?

Most of his 80s were spent trying to keep his mind together.
Right.  But he did work with the Beach Boys until 85, and then released a solo album a few years later.  That's what I'm getting at.  Sorry, I wasn't clear. 

kellerb

so you're saying spaceman 3 and animal collective are pretty much like the beach boys: kokomo, but only when uncle jesse sat in?

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: kellerb on May 28, 2011, 12:25:38 AM
so you're saying spaceman 3 and animal collective are pretty much like the beach boys: kokomo, but only when uncle jesse sat in?

Kokomo was post Brian Wilson, SHEESH.

sophist

GAME fucking DAY. 

So pumped. 

See some of y'all tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M-P-P Motherfuckerz. 

McGrupp

totally psyched for tomorrow. did I remember that JJ might be coming down? Danje? am i making this shit up?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

ph92

I looked at tickets for the PA show... I guess I cant go :-( Fucking 270$ ...
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

McGrupp

Quote from: phishhead92 on July 08, 2011, 12:31:35 PM

Ser? My buddy said Orch tix were $20 for tomorrow's show...

Me and the lady will be raging the pit tomorrow.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on July 08, 2011, 12:33:01 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on July 08, 2011, 12:31:35 PM

Ser? My buddy said Orch tix were $20 for tomorrow's show...

Me and the lady will be raging the pit tomorrow.
Pit tonight for me, Pavs tomorrow.