News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W23: 02-06-1993 II Roseland Ballroom, New York, NY

Started by Caravan2001, November 24, 2006, 09:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Alright....nobody was steppin up to the plate, so I posted something.  The general concensus was switching to one set/different bands or both....I decided to keep it a Phish show, but only one set.  Most have already heard this (I think), but if you haven't, I think it deserves a listen.  It is one of the best shows I ever saw, in my opinion, but maybe I just had one of those nights...what's your opinion?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ir7mb2

VA $l!m

-"2-6-93 Roseland  *so sick., I was drooling on myself*"

thats a quote from caravan's show list that i just happened to be looking at...

gonna have to check this one out!

thanks man! 
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

Yeah I'm curious as to what other people think of this show.  I don't know how under the radar it is, I think it is a pretty well known show.  To me, it was ridiculous, though none of the versions are the sickest versions ever. In regard to the comment above, I just stood in front of the taper section, next to the soundboard.  I didn't dance or move the whole second set. I just stood there staring.  At one point, my mouth was open and I just drooled on myself.  It was probably during the acapella, and they were all standing together and it looked like their heads were rolling off their shoulders off the side of the stage. By far the most psychedelic acapella I have ever seen. Also during Lengthwise, the whole crowd (EVERYONE) lit lighters and it looked like Fishman was floating on a bed of fire- so sweet.  During Lifeboy (2nd one ever, my first)  I was listening to the words and thinking Trey was the devil and it looked like he had horns on his head.....Obviously I was frickin LIT.....They wheeled out a big thing to the middle of the stage that was covered during buried alive and nobody knew what/who it was until they pulled the cover off and the big man stood up from his wheelchair to rock out....I'm not really a BT fan, but this was the joint.  My fave moment of this show is the vocal phrasing during Mike's Song. I have never, ever heard it sung this way, and I was jizzing during the opening 2 verses of Mike's....so killer....But that's just my opinion, and in my frame of mind, I might have had as much fun if I never even made it into the show....I can post the whole show uncompressed if someone wants it.....

danje

Nice! Just downloaded it and am looking foward to listening. Thanks! :banana:

ytowndan

Pretty solid set.  This was the first I ever heard it, and I was impressed.  Always nice to hear mound.  I loved the stash, it had a nice flow.  Mikes was hilarious with the "its my song" banter/singing.  Buried Alive, Possum and Fire were the shit with Popper on the harp.  All in all a great pick!!!  :clap:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

strong set. highlites for me
stash
mikes>H2>groove- liked the extra lyrics, strong jams
lifeboy-nice work by Page at the end
Buried Alive, Possum - Popper-nice addition

imo not quite up to the level of sickness heard in may, 93, but still a damn good set.

edit- Ed Kranepool? LOL. Haven't heard that name in years. I remember going to his house once with my friends after school to get his autograph after the mets won the series. We were just standing around-drove up and started talking to us for a while. He was pretty cool about it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Alright I finally got a chance to relisten to this and form an opinion after checking it out right after I d/l'd it a couple weeks ago.

Interesting time period for the band, even though this technically is a '93 show, it really still sounds like '92 Phish.  The emphasis here is tightness, rather than the experimental and exploratory qualities that are prominent in so many of the '93 heavy hitters.  I think we can all agree that 93 really got started a couple weeks later at the groundbreaking Roxy show that changed Phish setlists for all time.  Anyway, on to the show:

Chalkdust:  A typically raging and perfectly tight '92 style version.  It seems like it was designed to be a set opener and it always brings the energy up to speed quickly.

Mound:  Always a treat.

Stash:  They hadn't really nailed it yet, I wished that the outro jam had gone a little longer.  Where other vesions would really go off this one just ended.

Sweet Adeline:   :banana:

All Things Reconsidered:  :beers:

Mike's Song:  Love the vocal change up in the beginning, it seems he has sung this same intro before no?  I could swear he says the something similar  to the "Make no mistake this is my song thing" on the version from 8/21/87, the possible lost first verse of Mike's?????  Anyway this is where the set really heats up, great version, I love ones like this where they play through the ending and take it around one more a time for a little proto-Simple section.  Serious hose at the end there!

H2>Weekapaug:  The paug is the clear highlight of the set, they breakdown toward the end and then head into the best improv of the night with a very nice and focused mini jam before the return to the refrain.  A definite precursor to some of the amazing Weekapaugs of later years, awesome!

Lifeboy:  Still my vote for most underrated Phish tune of all time, second ever and they nailed it.

The rest was typical stuff for the era, and harmonica is a bit of a musical pet peeve of mine so I didn't really enjoy the Buried Alive and Possum as much as I should have, although I did find myself grooving to the Possum a bit.   :wink:

Overall I'd give it a B+, nothing insane, just a typical show from the boys when they were just about to entire their peak period in terms of the evolution of their improv.  In a way this show is a bit of tease, you can hear they are on the verge of something big that just won't quite come out yet, but in another way that makes it that much more of a fascinating listen.

Great pick of a personal highlight Caravan, glad I got to hear that Mike's Groove, big ups to the PDX paug massive!   

:beers:

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

downloading it right now...  can't wait to hear this actually!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

Ok, well ive been listening to it for about 37 minutes now (im in the middle of Hydrogen).  I dont know the setlist, so this is kinda cool being able to listen to the whole set as one long piece of music without knowing what songs are played.  The Chalkdust seemed standardly rocking, and I really liked the Mound, and the different Mike's was enjoyable, although just for novelty purposes.  I didnt think the jam was anything to write home about, but i was in the middle of writing my giant post in the drugs thread in the "Other" forum of the Red Light District. 

Weekapaug just kicked in, nice; nothing out of the ordinary.  Standardly good.  I like the sound of this recording, even tho it seems a little lacking on low end.  the vocals are nice and out-front, but i wish the music (Fish's kick drum and Trey's guitar) were a little louder.  Ok, i need to go check phish.net for the setlist so i can comment on the other songs that i already listened to (im pretty sure there was a Stash in there)

ok yeah, there was Stash.  I dont really remember anything specific about it, because i was paying attention to what i was writing, but this seems like a good, standard, consistent Phish set even tho Fishman has a few screw ups.  It feels like it flows quite well, and this Weekapaug was nice and concise.  Think it couldve been extended a bit longer...  right when they come back to the vocals after the jam, i felt that they were going to break out into a big hose jam, cuz the music had this ascending feeling, like it was going to go around again and have a big Trey guitar solo bust-out.  But oh well, it was still nice. 

Lifeboy is starting up, and i really like Page's piano in the beginning and throughout the song.  Nicely played.  Their vocals seem really on for this set.  Very good use of dynamics tho, in every song.  Lifeboy is a good song, i like it a lot.  Its chill and ballady, but its not cheesey and gay; its got substance. 

Never was a fan of Big Ball jams, but this one seemed more coherent than others ive heard.  Band intros during Hold Your Head Up by Fish.  Not that long, because Fish just starts talking after only a little bit. 

good show for early 93.  i like it.  nothing spectacular or anything that would make me crave for this show, but its just good typical Phish.  definitely worth a listen for the interesting Mike's Song stuff and Fish's rap during HYHU>Lengthwise.   
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

khalpin

Well, it's been a couple months since anyone's posted, but I'm new to the forum and think this club is a fantastic idea.  So I'll weigh in, despite probably no one caring anymore....

Listening as I type....Chalkdust - pretty standard, this song never has done too much for me.  But with Spring of '93 Page now has the baby grand onstage, which makes a WORLD of difference.

Mound - Always nice to hear.  The vocal harmonies are tough in the verse but they do a good job with it here.  Well, pretty good. 

Stash - Nice jam, would've liked it to be a bit longer.

Sweet Adeline - Pleasant...could give or take this one.

All Things Reconsidered - This drum beat always baffles me.  I could never play it in a million years.  Love hearing this.  Well played.

Mike's - Sweet.  Never heard this "original verse" thing, I don't think.  Pretty hilarious, actually.

Hydrogen>Weekapaug - Awesome.  Like the jam.  Could've been longer but that's okay.  Very solid.  Best thing so far this set.

Lifeboy - Meh, never cared for this one.  Apparently only the second time this song was played.  Crowd seems mildly entertained.

Uncle Pen - a fun little ditty. 

BBJ - They were fun to see live, but hearing them on tape is just not entertaining at all.  I wouldn't mind seeing one on video, though.

HYHU > Lengthwise - Once again, probably fun to see live but not so great listening to the tapes.

Buried Alive - Whoops, Trey messed up the beginning there.  Still, I like this tune.  Short and it gets you movin'.....ahh Popper.  Nice to hear him.  I like his guest spots.

Possum - A nice change from the typical Possum with Popper in there.  I like the jam.  Those blues jams get a little boring for me typically, so I like the diversity.

No encore?  Just looked at the setlist online, I would've liked to have heard Fire with Noel Reading & Popper.

A good set, nothing crazy, though.  I'd say a B+.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."