News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Natty Dread Region - 1-Bob Marley v 2-Jimi Hendrix

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 30, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
as relevant now as ever.

Watching that, and what happens there at 3:59-4:11...it's not even magical, it's otherworldly...I cannot deny anyone's posts or youtube clips, or whatever concerning Jimi, but Marley has become a hero of mythical proportions the world over. I was thinking thinking about this the other day, PG's statement concerning the Beatles and Beethoven being the cornerstones of music, which in a Euro-centric way might be completely true, but the world over, Central and South America, Asia, Africa, etc, it is the music of Bob Marley that you are likely to hear. Honestly, if you've never understood Marley past the middle class white kids smoking dope listening to Legend relevance, that's a damn shame, and I feel sorry for you.

Expect continued lobbying in his favor from this guy...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 01:33:07 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 30, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
as relevant now as ever.

Watching that, and what happens there at 3:59-4:11...it's not even magical, it's otherworldly...I cannot deny anyone's posts or youtube clips, or whatever concerning Jimi, but Marley has become a hero of mythical proportions the world over. I was thinking thinking about this the other day, PG's statement concerning the Beatles and Beethoven being the cornerstones of music, which in a Euro-centric way might be completely true, but the world over, Central and South America, Asia, Africa, etc, it is the music of Bob Marley that you are likely to hear. Honestly, if you've never understood Marley past the middle class white kids smoking dope listening to Legend relevance, that's a damn shame, and I feel sorry for you.

Expect continued lobbying in his favor from this guy...

this story reminds me of my first trip to the Philippines in '07.  I was on the Manila MRT(their subway) and I saw this dude wearing a Jimi shirt w/ the same print/logo as seen on the LP Kiss The Sky.  I was certainly impressed and wanted to introduce myself but his train took off.  Either way I was stoked and very happy and surprised to see that.
its also like Quincy Jones said after MJ died, the idea that no matter where he was in the world, Calcutta, Rio, Marseille he would always hear MJ cranking in taxis, airports, restaurants.  bottomline music, esp. good music is universal. 

rowjimmy

The measuring stick by which any electric guitar player may be judged...

birdman

Just to add some fuel here...
Records sold worldwide:

Hendrix: 80 million

Marley: low estimates 150-200 million
           High estimates close to 300 million

With this in mind, who was more influential?
Paug FTMFW!

fauxpaxfauxreal

If record sales indicated influence, the Velvet Underground and the Talking Heads did not influence many at all.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 02:26:59 PM

The electric guitar, I'd argue, is the defining musical instrument of rock music. And in terms of those that have played it, Jimi is one of, if not THE King, of that instrument. No doubting that. The things he does with a guitar are phenomenal. But, like jazz music in some ways, it requires a little bit of understanding to appreciate just what he's doing (not us mind you, those that have grown up in America listening to rock- but the average citizen of the world). Marleys music and message is universal. You don't even have to understand the words in order to feel good, just listen to the melodies, whereas to someone that doesn't know what they're hearing could call that what Jimi just did there noise and offensive to their ears.

Hicks

Quote from: birdman on March 31, 2011, 03:11:15 PM
Records sold worldwide:

All it takes is guys like Townsend and Clapton seeing Hendrix live and changing the way they play forever to make Hendrix more influential.

I mean how many records has Robert Johnson sold?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on March 31, 2011, 03:36:42 PM
Records sold worldwide:

All it takes is guys like Townsend and Clapton seeing Hendrix live and changing the way they play forever to make Hendrix more influential.

Jimi was one of the major influences behind Miles going electric.

His influence was not solely limited to the "rock" sphere.

gah

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 31, 2011, 03:43:19 PM
Records sold worldwide:

I can understand the idea of musical influence, and how it adds to any individuals credibiltiy. It's something that's been discussed in almost all of these match-ups, about how musician a influenced musician b, etc. But what about a musicians ability to influence everyone that heard his message, whose words go on to not influence how someone plays an instrument, but instead how someone lives their life. His ability to take music to that spiritual level is relevant. I think most of us feel music on a very personal and passionate level, even in a religious way for some, hell we wouldn't spend all day discussing music if we didn't feel that way. I just feel like Marley blended those two things perfectly. His words have lead many to live better lives...

"Life and Jah are one in the same. Jah is the gift of existence. I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The singularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth."

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 03:48:44 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 31, 2011, 03:43:19 PM
Records sold worldwide:

I can understand the idea of musical influence, and how it adds to any individuals credibiltiy. It's something that's been discussed in almost all of these match-ups, about how musician a influenced musician b, etc. But what about a musicians ability to influence everyone that heard his message, whose words go on to not influence how someone plays an instrument, but instead how someone lives their life. His ability to take music to that spiritual level is relevant. I think most of us feel music on a very personal and passionate level, even in a religious way for some, hell we wouldn't spend all day discussing music if we didn't feel that way. I just feel like Marley blended those two things perfectly. His words have lead many to live better lives...

"Life and Jah are one in the same. Jah is the gift of existence. I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The singularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth."

100% agreed, I guess for me though the development of music in and of itself is just as important as all that spiritual mumbo jumbo.   :wink:

When you listen to post 67 Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, even Trey you are also listening to Hendrix.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 03:28:41 PM

The electric guitar, I'd argue, is the defining musical instrument of rock music. And in terms of those that have played it, Jimi is one of, if not THE King, of that instrument. No doubting that. The things he does with a guitar are phenomenal. But, like jazz music in some ways, it requires a little bit of understanding to appreciate just what he's doing (not us mind you, those that have grown up in America listening to rock- but the average citizen of the world). Marleys music and message is universal. You don't even have to understand the words in order to feel good, just listen to the melodies, whereas to someone that doesn't know what they're hearing could call that what Jimi just did there noise and offensive to their ears.

The Spice Girls had a fairly broad, international appeal, too. And not just with music geeks... regular people loved them too!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 03:55:12 PM

The Spice Girls had a fairly broad, international appeal, too. And not just with music geeks... regular people loved them too!

whats not to like?

Bring in the dude!

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'm pretty sure Spice Girls would have taken the tourney had they been invited.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 03:55:12 PM

I understand your rather simplistic response, but you can't dumb down Marley's message in comparison to some teen pop group that took the world by storm in the mid-90's. The Spice Girls were created by a management company for the sole purpose of appealing to the masses in a money making endeavour. Whereas Marley had a message he had to get out to the world, and the fact that it is so universal that everyone that heard it was able to relate, is the beauty of it.

antelope19

Well, I certainly didn't see this coming.  I'm pretty sure I had Bob taking the whole tourney. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment