News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final - 1-Phish v 1-Grateful Dead

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 07, 2011, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Morning dew is more akin to slave, imo.

McGrupp

I've been voting not based on personal preference, but what I think is more musically "important".

:syf:.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

DoW

it's why I didn't vote in any of these.  it was obvious it would come down to phish vs. gd and phish would win.
if I had voted, I would have voted for phish in every match up too.

paraphrasing the hicks quote on page 1, phish is what they are to us and we aren't going to vote for anyone over them.  no matter how great some of these bands are against them, no other bands moves us like phish does.
they are our band (ok, that may be closer to a direct quote than a paraphrase)
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

barnesy305

Quote from: bvaz on April 09, 2011, 03:31:40 PM
it's why I didn't vote in any of these.  it was obvious it would come down to phish vs. gd and phish would win.

paraphrasing the hicks quote on page 1, phish is what they are to us and we aren't going to vote for anyone over them.  no matter how great some of these bands are against them, no other bands moves us like phish does.

I've been seeing Phish for about 20 years and I love them, but nothing will ever move me like the Grateful Dead...ever.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: slslbs on April 09, 2011, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 09, 2011, 02:27:33 PM
Morning dew is more akin to slave, imo.
that's not the point

I think they are equally gorgeous songs.  I've never heard the dead jam as beautifully as the 7/2/97 Stash jam, personally.

barnesy305

DoW

Quote from: barnesy305 on April 09, 2011, 03:39:57 PM
Quote from: bvaz on April 09, 2011, 03:31:40 PM

I've been seeing Phish for about 20 years and I love them, but nothing will ever move me like the Grateful Dead...ever.
obviously, there are exceptions on the board.  most of us never saw the dead.  I'm old enough to have had a chance to see the dead in their later years but was never a huge fan.  I was speaking in general about the user class here.

I can totally understand people not picking anyone over the dead, just like I can understand people voting for phish in every poll.

oh, and btw, moe. won the real poll.
http://www.jambandtournaments.com/
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

fauxpaxfauxreal

mistercharlie

Quote from: barnesy305 on April 09, 2011, 12:13:55 PM
:syf:

What Jerry lacks in technique, he trumps in SOUL. And Tom Marshall couldn't eat the peanuts out of Hunter's shit.

If this was a contest between Hunter and Marshall, Hunter would win hands down. But it's not so I gotta go with the boys from vermont.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Hunter vs. Marchall, LOL!
That's like comparing Dr. Seuss with J. R. R. Tolkien
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 10, 2011, 09:51:30 AM

Dr. Seuss wins, imo.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 10, 2011, 12:06:12 PM

Dr. Seuss wins, imo.
Sorry, that was a slam to Dr. Seuss, I guess I was referring to the maturity level of the writing.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 10, 2011, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 10, 2011, 12:06:12 PM

Dr. Seuss wins, imo.
Sorry, that was a slam to Dr. Seuss, I guess I was referring to the maturity level of the writing.

I know what you mean, but I agree with the analogy.  Count me among those who prefer Marshall to Hunter.  I think that Marshall's use of language is highly underrated by many.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate Hunter also, I just prefer Marshall for his sense of humor and wacky usage of obscure verbage.