News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Filemaker Pro

Started by mattstick, October 13, 2008, 05:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Anyone use it?

Easy to use?

If I say I know how to use it on my resume then it comes up can I BS my way through it?

tet

in a word, no, you cannot wing it. It is a very complex database/asset management software package. Very flexible, and entering data into a built database is easy, but it takes years to learn it properly.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

Heh, maybe I will focus on Pro Toolz a little more then  :lol:

jedifunk

what tet said... its one of the best database management softwares you can buy... started out as an mac app made by apple, then they split off from apple, and now are cross platform.

easy to use.... hard to setup
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Here's what it says... I wouldn't be programming databases or anything....

A good working knowledge of Windows-based software applications, including Excel, Word, and Filemaker Pro

jedifunk

you could probably get by just fine if it was data entry/manipulation... but if its database setup/config i wouldn't push it
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

I've worked with it pretty extensively.  I think to design a complex database with it, takes some time.  Operating it and learning the basics is a snap.  But, it is able to do so much.  I would bet you can fake it, if you were able to spend a couple days with it.  Depends on if you are claiming to be able to design systems with it or just use it.....I have version 8.5, if you want me to throw it on CD and mail it to you, I'd be happy to.....the zip of it is 165mb, can I SS that?

jedifunk

same here, i think i have the latest version if you want me to send it to you... its for mac as well.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

blatboom

jephrey

I've faked it too.  Used to db my phish there but filemaker made bento and it's not as flexible, but it's neat and covers most bases.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

i mean, i've had to learn several FM Pro databases in my time, and they're pretty straight-forward.  if you can usually just kinda figure out shit for yourself (and i have an inkling you're one of those types), it'll come to you in no time.  if they're asking if you can use it at the same level as Word, i'd say yes.

i thought u were asking about developing for it.  THAT is a whole different beast.  yes, it's pretty easy when it comes down to basics because it was one of Apple's core products for a long time, but there's a significantly more complex layer of it that allows you to build some pretty amazing relational databases - and that sort of work really takes a while to master. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on October 13, 2008, 07:28:33 PM
what tet said... its one of the best database management softwares you can buy... started out as an mac app made by apple, then they split off from apple, and now are cross platform.

easy to use.... hard to setup
* rowjimmy laughs and returns to his sql work.

Seriously, though, Matt, Entry is one thign... like any other app. Developing/programming is a whole other level.

mattstick

I basically tip-toed around it saying I had database entry experience to go along with Word and Excel.

I fax'd and email'd my resume this morning... *fingers crossed*