News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/12 - Outside Lands Festival - San Francisco, CA - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 13, 2011, 06:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPhishman

Yes TFG I think if this was the first Phish I ever saw I would want to see them again. It was a high energy rock show and people were going nuts.

I enjoyed this show much more than Hollywood Bowl actually, even though that venue was tits McGee.

Creativity is A reason I love Phish, but above all else thes guys can play the shit out of their instruments. And they still are. The way trey plays guitar just does it for me. Sure it's not as adventurous but I can live with that because the collective sound of these four playing together is still a pretty special thing. Id bet that feeling came across for some noobs at outside lands.

Sure I want the jams, but if it ain't happening, in all honesty, im not heartbroken over it and I'm going to get the fuck down to wolfmans. Cuz that song rules.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mattstick

barnesy305

Quote from: mattstick on August 15, 2011, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 15, 2011, 01:09:10 PM
WTF, golf is now getting 3.0'd

Let's face it.  You're a PGA fluffer.

Adam Scott was all about the plinko and Stricker ripcorded into a shit sandwich with no patience whatsoever.

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on August 15, 2011, 01:21:04 PM

Adam Scott was all about the plinko and Stricker ripcorded into a shit sandwich with no patience whatsoever.

I heard Tiger passed out on the lot and never even made the show.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 15, 2011, 01:25:46 PM

He fished out and did a header into a grilled cheese vendor. That caused him to lose his endorsement deal with the nitrous mafia.

guyforget

remember what i said about trey teasing a harry potter song last week? 

golf = trey playing harry potter x 1,000,000
-AD_

mehead

and then woke up next to.....

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

VA $l!m

this thread has taught me one thing:

i can fall asleep just as fast reading posts of someone talking about golf, just as fast as watching it myself.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

thatfargone

Quote from: JPhishman on August 15, 2011, 01:10:18 PM
Yes TFG I think if this was the first Phish I ever saw I would want to see them again. It was a high energy rock show and people were going nuts.

I enjoyed this show much more than Hollywood Bowl actually, even though that venue was tits McGee.

Creativity is A reason I love Phish, but above all else thes guys can play the shit out of their instruments. And they still are. The way trey plays guitar just does it for me. Sure it's not as adventurous but I can live with that because the collective sound of these four playing together is still a pretty special thing. Id bet that feeling came across for some noobs at outside lands.

Sure I want the jams, but if it ain't happening, in all honesty, im not heartbroken over it and I'm going to get the fuck down to wolfmans. Cuz that song rules.

Fair enough then.  I just don't see how someone who never heard them before or only knew of their legacy would do anything but walk away from this show wondering what all the fuss is about.  Reading local reviews and non-jamband sites, the consensus was pretty clear...no one expected any new fans to be formed from this performance.

I find it very telling after ACL and now this...Phish WANTS people to see them as a hard rocking band.  Not an experimental, improvisational band.  I guess when it get down to it, I just don't see what newer fans see in this band.  After 30+ 3.0 shows, they are all really starting to blend together, no shows stand out to me except the Greek and Utica, that I have seen...everything else is just a blur of Possums, Divided Skys, Fluffheads, same sounding YEMs, 12 minute Tweezers, Pipers and Ghosts...none of the Jams with very, very few exceptions sounds any different from each other.  So far this whole year it seems all we have is the Storage Jam and the 30min DwD that is even worth relistening to. 

Seriously put on 10 YEMs and listen to the end sections...and they all sound, very similar.  Other than the community spirit, I see nothing that drives people to see a lot of shows in this era.  I feel when Marmar says there is no music being created he is very correct...no new music is being created.  They are no doubt getting better at playing the same stuff, I'll give you that.  But, after almost 3 full years...what MUSICALLY is driving the apologetic, excuse making fans back to see more....if not the hope and desire they actually do something worthy of their legacy???
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

PIE-GUY

Jphishman and I talked about this last night. I think what drives people like me and birdman and caravan to want to see so many shows even after all these years is a long view of the band. When we started seeing shows there weren't 20+ minute jams every night. In fact, I didn't see a 20 min jam until Years into my phish career.

Even in 1995, arguably the year of the big jams, or at least the first year where they happened regularly, my favorite show of the year was 10/29. The longest track of the night was a 16 minute Bowie with an intense Stash-like jam. After the wide-open Bowies of the summer, it was an absolute revelation to me.  The show was Tight tight tight.

Fast forward to 2000 and I am bored to death of the big 2nd set jams. 30 minutes of Sand sounds like a chore to even get through to me. It's almost as bad as a late 80's Drums>Space.

I can imagine of I started seeing shows in 97 and the peak of my show-seeing years was 97-2000 I might have the view that phish sucks right now.  But the fact is, they have progressed noticeably in the last 3 years. SBIX was much better than 8, IMO... And I think those are two good benchmarks.

Are they playing like they did in 1997? No. In fact they are playing like they play in 2011. That is all. Tis is the phish we have now. Enjoy it or don't show up.  That's fine with me, and, frankly, I think that's fine with them.

Now let me go enjoy 3 nights of indoor phish, because there is no place I'd rather be!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

DoW

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 15, 2011, 02:23:33 PM
Jphishman and I talked about this last night. I think what drives people like me and birdman and caravan to want to see so many shows even after all these years is a long view of the band. When we started seeing shows there weren't 20+ minute jams every night. In fact, I didn't see a 20 min jam until Years into my phish career.

Even in 1995, arguably the year of the big jams, or at least the first year where they happened regularly, my favorite show of the year was 10/29. The longest track of the night was a 16 minute Bowie with an intense Stash-like jam. After the wide-open Bowies of the summer, it was an absolute revelation to me.  The show was Tight tight tight.

Fast forward to 2000 and I am bored to death of the big 2nd set jams. 30 minutes of Sand sounds like a chore to even get through to me. It's almost as bad as a late 80's Drums>Space.

I can imagine of I started seeing shows in 97 and the peak of my show-seeing years was 97-2000 I might have the view that phish sucks right now.  But the fact is, they have progressed noticeably in the last 3 years. SBIX was much better than 8, IMO... And I think those are two good benchmarks.

Are they playing like they did in 1997? No. In fact they are playing like they play in 2011. That is all. Tis is the phish we have now. Enjoy it or don't show up.  That's fine with me, and, frankly, I think that's fine with them.
Now let me go enjoy 3 nights of indoor phish, because there is no place I'd rather be!
on that point I agree 100%.  I'm still amazed at the trouble peopel are still going through to see something they won't enjoy.

I can comment on the previous years but there is no need to hate any more on 2011.

I do hope everyone enjoys the chicago run.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on August 15, 2011, 01:31:24 PM

He fished out and did a header into a grilled cheese vendor. That caused him to lose his endorsement deal with the nitrous mafia.

Sounds like a rookie maneuver, to me.

That's a tough break since he lost his molly hookup on the last leg.
Dude's gonna have a tough time making loot.

G. Augusto

Hicks

The Gorge RnR is worth relistening to, so is the SBIX ASITHOS and honestly I prefer the Bethel DWD to Detroit.

Just sayin.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.