News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/12 - Outside Lands Festival - San Francisco, CA - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 13, 2011, 06:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Poster Nutbag

It's funny that they received a review that was a little less touching from their appearance at The Austin City Limits Festival, which was played deep in the heart of Texas, than the review they received from the Outside Lands Festival, which was played in the heart of San Francisco...  :-o
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

Hicks

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on August 13, 2011, 11:46:39 AM
It's funny that they received a review that was a little less touching from their appearance at The Austin City Limits Festival, which was played deep in the heart of Texas, than the review they received from the Outside Lands Festival, which was played in the heart of San Francisco...  :-o

You've never met a deadhead that despised Phish?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 13, 2011, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: mehead on August 13, 2011, 11:27:02 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on August 13, 2011, 11:11:23 AM
just cause the link wasn't working (at least when I tried):

QuoteThe first day will be remembered for the stark contrast in fan bases. Thousands of patchouli-scented fans came primarily to see Phish, the top dog in the jam-band universe, while those who'd showered more frequently were there to watch young hipster acts like Foster the People, MGMT and the Shins.

I prefer old spice

Really... I haven't smelled patchouli even on a wook in 10 years.

I caught a whiff of it on a hipster chick at the Woods show this week.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Hicks on August 13, 2011, 11:48:48 AM
Quote from: Poster Nutbag on August 13, 2011, 11:46:39 AM

You've never met a deadhead that despised Phish?

Yes!! but like Pie Guy pointed out.. "I haven't smelled patchouli even on a wook in 10 years", Which is largely affiliated with Grateful Dead fans. So it seems like he was generally putting down all jam-band fans, by batching them all stereotypically together; Just my opinion though, I guess. 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

WhatstheUse?

Looks fun.  Way too many songs for there to be much jamming but I like pretty much every song played.

Glad JPhishman got his Steam!
Bring in the dude!

cactusfan

last minute i decided to see this show, since it was in my backyard and all.

great time. no, there weren't long jams, surprise surprise, but they rocked the fuck out. trey was on fire. RnR > Steam was lovely. Life On Mars was great until the final riff which trey blew. oh well. Piper was actually very cool and trippy, but as usual right when they found a groove, trey ended it. Julius was huge.

the set list might look phoned in, but the performance wasn't. trey seemed hellbent on blowing the place up.

JPhishman

Totally agree with Cactus. Trey was melting faces all night. My retinas are burned from all the white lights. IMO, Phish crushed these sets, albeit 3.0 style. The real fail is by anyone who showed up expecting extended improv.

I danced to this Julius like it was the last Phish tune I'll ever hear... And it was an absolutely soul-cleansing exercise.

UIC gonna get the roof blown off!

:phish:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: JPhishman on August 13, 2011, 05:10:23 PM
Totally agree with Cactus. Trey was melting faces all night. My retinas are burned from all the white lights. IMO, Phish crushed these sets, albeit 3.0 style. The real fail is by anyone who showed up expecting extended improv.

I danced to this Julius like it was the last Phish tune I'll ever hear... And it was an absolutely soul-cleansing exercise.

UIC gonna get the roof blown off!

:phish:

Yeah Bud!  :beers:
Bring in the dude!

Marmar

I love the endless optimism....lol

"this show wasn't bad but such and such will ROCK".....

if they haven't turned up the h33t by now, they ain't gonna.....

Granted, Trey is sounding MUCH better as of late but there's just no music being made....lots of songs, 3-4 minute slices of pure bliss interspersed within sets full of mediocre songs....yay!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

twatts

1.  Is this the first time a Mike's Groove has been played inside a Tweezer???

2.  I smell Spiritual Sky Patchouli Musk a shit-ton... An older hippy ladies that works for the radio station upstairs in my building wears it...  I know the smell because it was very popular and I smelled it a lot on the various chicks I was banging back in mid 90s...

3.  Lesson for/from the wife:  if you're gonna get so drunk you can't go to work the next day, don't post about it on FaceBook.  If you do, your co-workers will know that you're just hung-over and not really "sick"...  Being "single-dad" for the day was very hard...

As you were...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

JPhishman

Quote from: antelope19 on August 15, 2011, 01:16:27 AM
Marmar, lol.

Right.

I am generally pretty forgiving of the hate. I mean, to each his own. But "no music is being made"?!

Really?

Really??

They are rocking the fuck out. If u don't like it, that's fine, but not music? You must be very, very disappointed.

Making sure your expectations are realistic is key.

A fortune cookie taught me that.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie