News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Iran president says Israel's days are numbered

Started by sophist, December 12, 2006, 03:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-12-12T173514Z_01_L1213060_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAN-HOLOCAUST.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

QuoteBy Paul Hughes

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Tuesday told delegates at an international conference questioning the Holocaust that Israel's days were numbered.

Ahmadinejad, who has sparked international outcry by referring to the killing of six million Jews in World War Two as a "myth" and calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map", launched another verbal attack on the Jewish state.

"Thanks to people's wishes and God's will the trend for the existence of the Zionist regime is downwards and this is what God has promised and what all nations want," he said.

"Just as the Soviet Union was wiped out and today does not exist, so will the Zionist regime soon be wiped out," he added.

His words received warm applause from delegates at the Holocaust conference, who included ultra-Orthodox anti-Israel Jews and European and American writers who argue the Holocaust was either fabricated or exaggerated.

The Vatican, Germany and the European Commission added their voices on Tuesday to others -- such as the United States and Israel -- who have condemned the Tehran meeting.

Iran says it organized the conference to shed light on the reasons behind the formation of the state of Israel after World War Two and to allow researchers from countries where it is a crime to question the Holocaust to speak freely.

"Iran is your home and is the home of all freedom seekers of the world," Ahmadinejad said. "Here you can express your views and exchange opinions in a friendly, brotherly and free atmosphere."

"FACT-FINDING" COMMITTEE FORMED

He urged countries where Holocaust denial is a crime, to respect freedom of speech and not to take action against any of the conference participants on their return.

Human rights groups frequently number Iran as one of the world's worst violators of free speech, where scores of newspapers have been closed, journalists jailed, access to Web sites blocked and government critics hounded out of the country.

Delegates at the meeting earlier on Tuesday agreed to form a "fact-finding" committee to study the Holocaust.

The head of the new committee, identified as Iranian academic Mohammad Ali Ramin, said its members were "not racist or opposed to any particular group".

"Rather they are just seeking the truth to set humanity truly free," the ISNA students news agency quoted him as saying, without naming the committee members.

Robert Faurisson, a French scholar who has described the Holocaust as a "historical lie", said the committee included members from the United States, France, Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Iran, Bahrain and Syria, ISNA reported.

The Vatican called the Holocaust an "immense tragedy" which had to remain forever a warning for all people to respect the rights of others.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the Tehran meeting "shows the danger of the situation Israel is in and in particular the threat that Israel lives under."

She was speaking after meeting Ehud Olmert, who was on his first visit to Germany as Israeli Prime Minister.

Germany has made it a priority to support Israel since the Holocaust under the Nazis and the end of World War Two in 1945.

EU Commissioner Franco Frattini expressed "shock and indignation", adding: "Anti-Semitism has no place in Europe; nor should it in any other part of the world."

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

This isn't news.  Israel has fought off 5 of their neighbors at once several times before, a crazy dude with a badly made nuke isn't a threat.  Besides, Israel has had nukes for 50 years, and they have the skilled air force to drop them right on this douchebag's head. 

Move along, nothing but hot air here...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

Quote from: tet on December 12, 2006, 05:14:23 PM
This isn't news.  Israel has fought off 5 of their neighbors at once several times before, a crazy dude with a badly made nuke isn't a threat.  Besides, Israel has had nukes for 50 years, and they have the skilled air force to drop them right on this douchebag's head. 

Move along, nothing but hot air here...
I hope your right, but I fear you may be wrong.  His denouncing of the Holocaust is new news.  As a jew I would feel threatened that someone with that much power MIGHT brain wash his citizens into thinking it was a myth.  So "moving along" isn't the best response to his claim. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

tet

Quote from: phan003 on December 12, 2006, 05:19:22 PM
I hope your right, but I fear you may be wrong.  His denouncing of the Holocaust is new news.  As a jew I would feel threatened that someone with that much power MIGHT brain wash his citizens into thinking it was a myth.  So "moving along" isn't the best response to his claim. 

Um, even if we built a time machine and brought the entire country back in time to witness the event in question, they would still denounce its existence.  maybe you haven't caught on to it yet, but these types of people (the ones with an agenda, such as jihad) do not exactly care about facts or rational discussions.  they'd rather riot and kill than listen to anything factual.  so, arguing with them or trying to prove them wrong does nothing positive for either side...  people have been denying the existence of the Holocaust since it happened (and the US denied it WHILE it was happening), so it really is nothing new.

Ahmendurkadurkajihad may think he's a powerful world leader, but nobody except the French take him seriously. And their only interest is to supply him with nuclear material, like they did for Saddam in the 70s (and again in the 80s, once Israel destroyed their reactor). 
-Phish

sophist

Quote from: tet on December 12, 2006, 05:26:33 PM
Um, even if we built a time machine and brought the entire country back in time to witness the event in question, they would still denounce its existence.  maybe you haven't caught on to it yet, but these types of people (the ones with an agenda, such as jihad) do not exactly care about facts or rational discussions.  they'd rather riot and kill than listen to anything factual.  so, arguing with them or trying to prove them wrong does nothing positive for either side...  people have been denying the existence of the Holocaust since it happened (and the US denied it WHILE it was happening), so it really is nothing new.

Ahmendurkadurkajihad may think he's a powerful world leader, but nobody except the French take him seriously. And their only interest is to supply him with nuclear material, like they did for Saddam in the 70s (and again in the 80s, once Israel destroyed their reactor). 
proving him wrong isn't my point, my point is that ANY threat should be taken seriously.  To dismiss him as "only respected by the french," is a grave mistake in my opinion.  The U.S. government made the same assumption about Bin Laden and his threats regarding the WTC. 

sls.stormyrider

imo that guy is one sick and scary mf.
yes, the Arabs have been threatening to wipe Israel off the map since 48. yes, the Israelis have defended themselves well when they had to. but this guy will probably have a nuc soon. Other leaders in the region have shown no respect for human life, even their own people. will the threat of bombing Iran into oblivion scare this guy if he has a good shelter?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

i think the other "moderate" Arab states such as Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar and UAE will step up their efforts to quiet this lunatic.  but of course, as soon as anyone steps up in defense of Israel, they immediately become a member of the "vast Zionist-American infidel conspiracy", and they themselves become targets (which the Saudis already are).

just let Israel deal with them when it becomes necessary - they will know when the time is right to take out all the strategic sites in Iran.  the only problem is that they will have to fly over Iraq to get there, and that means getting Iraqi (=USA) permission - a very dangerous position for the US to be in, assisting in a military strike against Iran. 

-Phish

susep

Quote from: tet on December 12, 2006, 09:20:16 PM
the only problem is that they will have to fly over Iraq to get there, and that means getting Iraqi (=USA) permission - a very dangerous position for the US to be in, assisting in a military strike against Iran. 

not really, the neo-cons live for that shit :evil:

Quotethey'd rather riot and kill than listen to anything factual.  so, arguing with them or trying to prove them wrong does nothing positive for either side... 

Through generational hardship humanity will realize we're all the same and the erosion of religious/cultural wars will increase. :mrgreen:

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on December 12, 2006, 10:33:22 PM
not really, the neo-cons live for that shit :evil:

Through generational hardship humanity will realize we're all the same and the erosion of religious/cultural wars will increase. :mrgreen:

:lol:

susep

Quote from: phan003 on December 12, 2006, 10:37:39 PM
:lol:

hey, get back to those books before Ahmadinejad tricks you into thinking you're in a "war on terror".

sophist

BTW Susep73, the  :lol: was at the thought of the neo-cons standing by to attack, not at your idea/suggestion (I was laughing with you-if you were laughing)

Hicks

Meh, madmen will rant and rave until their day of reckoning comes, and it's "mad-in-the-head's" days that are numbered, not Israel's.     
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

did anyone else see Kissinger on Charlie Rose last night?
He cleared up a lot of issues in the middle east and the world for that matter.  I think American opposition towards the situation in Iraq would lessen if the American public was informed on the various levels and motivations as to why we're doing what we're doing instead of GW's chesseful rhetoric.

sophist

I didn't even know that he scheduled to appear.  I would of watched had I known. 

I think you raise a valid point, we shouldn't be kept in the dark. 

susep

Quote from: phan003 on December 14, 2006, 11:15:54 AM
I think you raise a valid point, we shouldn't be kept in the dark. 

esp. if we're paying for it, under the guise of National Security :|