News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Decemberists Thread

Started by shoreline99, September 02, 2008, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 06, 2008, 09:06:44 AM
Nice vid.
Shame you didn't shoot more video, that was a cool vantage point.

I sort of agree with Matt, I hope they tour soon and come to DC.

can you get to the Baltimore show?

*edit* just saw that it's your wife's birthday.

pics from last night [not my album]:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nydave/sets/72157608697930613/show/
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jedifunk

yeah, another tour, where i get to finally see them.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: shoreline99 on November 06, 2008, 09:32:16 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 06, 2008, 09:06:44 AM
Nice vid.
Shame you didn't shoot more video, that was a cool vantage point.

I sort of agree with Matt, I hope they tour soon and come to DC.

can you get to the Baltimore show?

*edit* just saw that it's your wife's birthday.

pics from last night [not my album]:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nydave/sets/72157608697930613/show/

Yeah...
I wish

shoreline99

rowjimmy

shoreline99

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/18/in-the-studio-the-decemberists-return-with-fairy-tale-album/

Quote"Everyone's going to call it a rock opera", says the Decemberists' frontman, Colin Meloy. "I've just got to come around to that." Meloy is in the midst of mixing the band's fifth album Hazards of Love, at an Oregon city studio. It's very different from the Decemberists' 2006 major-label debut, The Crane Wife: producer Tucker Maritime is piecing together 16 or so segments into a continuous, hour-long narrative suite that riffs on folk-song archetypes. It's a twisted, fantastical story about a woman named Margaret who is ravaged by a shape-shifting animal; her lover, William, who is desperate for the two of them to be reunited; a forest queen; and a villainous rake. "There's a story there, but it's really painted in broad strokes," says Meloy.

At first, Hazards of Love was going to be an actual musical, staged by director Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening). The story that Meloy came up with, however, was "practically unstageable," the frontman says. (The pair are still hoping to work together, perhaps on something about a 1917 labor dispute in Montana.)

Musically, Hazards of Love is the Decemberists' full-on classic-rock move, with Meloy and guitarist Chris Funk's pretty Zep-style fingerpicking punctuated by crushing stoner-metal lurches. They're joined by guest vocalists including Lavender Diamond's Becky Stark, who sings the knockout "Margaret in the Taiga", and My Brightest Diamond's Shara Worden. "I wanted to have different voices singing different songs, so it would be like a fake musical," Meloy explained. On the Decemberists' spring tour, the band will be playing the entire album straight through.

In the meantime, the quintet are touring this fall behind a new series of singles, most notably "Valerie Plame", an ode to the outed CIA operitive. "When she was in the news," Meloy says, "I'd hear her name all the time on the radio - the cadence was perfect for a pop song."

mattstick

Sounds Dope. 

The Decemberists are the most unassuming rockers since Phish.

I also love Becky Stark.

Final thought: Valerie Plame is a great tune.

shoreline99

Quote from: mattstick on November 18, 2008, 07:02:58 PM

Sounds Dope. 

The Decemberists are the most unassuming rockers since Phish.

I also love Becky Stark.

Final thought: Valerie Plame is a great tune.

Valerie Plame was a lot of fun live, with the crowd totally into it. Of the new songs, there are few that I don't like and if that's any indication [that these didn't make the cut for the new cd], it should be great.

The new CD drops March 24th. Several of the new tracks are floating around as live versions.

oh, and congrats on 10k.  :beers:

rowjimmy

New record sounds dope. I cannot wait.

As for Valeria Plame; single of the year.

jedifunk

Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Did you guys get the extended version of Valerie Plame from the Decemberists gmail account?  Clocks in at 6:47 or something like that.

shoreline99

Quote from: mattstick on November 18, 2008, 08:40:06 PM

Did you guys get the extended version of Valerie Plame from the Decemberists gmail account?  Clocks in at 6:47 or something like that.

Glad that got passed on to you. The long version, i think, was of Days of Elaine.

mattstick

Oh yeah  8-)

Damn bonghits after dinner, Days of Elaine is pretty good too.

jedifunk

that singles album has the extended version on it
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

shoreline99

Yes, it's on the download, not sure if it's on the vinyl or not.