News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Road to November

Started by bluecaravan521, January 14, 2008, 10:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: slslbs on January 17, 2008, 12:03:25 PM
Quote from: Sophist on January 17, 2008, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on January 17, 2008, 08:54:42 AM
Fair enough. Edwards does have a way of seeming principled and, well.. courageous? less calculating, anyway...that we don't often see. Nothing like Kucinich, of course, but little K would never get elected.
eh.  Maybe.  I dunno, I kind of hate how he attempts to play the "everyman" mentality.  Blasting blue collar rock every time he takes the stage. He is a rich capitalist, and is attempting to fight the system that made him who he is, why do that?  He was a tort lawyer for many years.  Why not just give your money away if you want to help the poor?  Money is money, and the poor won't care about the origin of the money.  If capitalism helped you, why not extend the favor to someone else?  Set a standard to live by, after all, we do have good capitalists in this society, like Bill Gates, Oprah, Warren Buffet, etc.  We tend to stereotype capitalists as those like the Enron CEO's, but I think those with money do good things(generally speaking a just majority exists within the wealthy bracket).  Take the tsunami disasters, and Katrina as examples, more good was done through the private sector than the government.  The money had to come from somewhere, and it came from those that had.  The one thing I respect about religious based organizations is their willingness to give when people are in need of help.  Their aid wasn't possible without private sector money, and that money was generated through capitalism.  The logic doesn't hold up, why punish the majority(good capitalist), due to the actions of the minority (Enron, etc)?  This is the equivalent of making narcotics illegal because a minority of people suck at taking drugs(which is the reality of this country).  If the money is mine, I can control what happens to it.  If I give it to the government, how do I know it won't end up building another useless and overpriced bridge in Alaska?  I can do more good for society when I am in control. 

giving money to people never did much, short of stave off disaster. Helping them help themselves with education and job training (of course, the jobs need to be available) has a much higher chance of improving the future.
Thats not what I'm saying.  I'm implying the choice to choose which charity I would support (using my tax money + the money I normally donate to not for profit firms).  An organization that is geared towards helping the poor as opposed to an organization that is geared towards reelection.  A difference in efficiency exists between the two entities. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Quote from: Sophist on January 17, 2008, 11:29:00 AM
If I give it to the government, how do I know it won't end up building another useless and overpriced bridge in Alaska?

or an off ramp leading off a dead end street onto a highway that is adjacent to an empty field where the landowner would profit by selling to wal-mart or Lowes?

that sketchy Senator from Alaska who earmarked monies for the Alaska bridge and tried again in Lee County Florida, false appropriations.

still leaning towards Obama, on the Rep. side, McCain because I like his straight talk approach even though I despise the "war on terror".

Guyute

Fair enough. Edwards does have a way of seeming principled and, well.. courageous? less calculating, anyway...that we don't often see. Nothing like Kucinich, of course, but little K would never get elected.

Edwards on the surface seems good, but there is something there that bothers me.  Go back and watch the tapes of the Kerry/Edwards campaign.  Every time Edwards gets near a woman, especially Kerry's daughter, he would reach over and touch her.  Usually put his arm around her and rub her back.  My wife and I found it incredibly creepy at the time.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

nab

Interesting observation.  I'll never see John Edwards the same way. :lol:

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Guyute on January 19, 2008, 09:30:05 PM

Edwards on the surface seems good, but there is something there that bothers me.  Go back and watch the tapes of the Kerry/Edwards campaign.  Every time Edwards gets near a woman, especially Kerry's daughter, he would reach over and touch her.  Usually put his arm around her and rub her back.  My wife and I found it incredibly creepy at the time.
are you sure you're not confusing him with Clinton?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

nab

Quote from: slslbs on January 19, 2008, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: Guyute on January 19, 2008, 09:30:05 PM

are you sure you're not confusing him with Clinton?

Good point. :lol:

bluecaravan521

Who do y'all want to count for Nevada on the blue side?  I hear there's controversy over who the true victor was...for now I'll leave it as a ?, maybe we'll have to wait on the official state ruling.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sunrisevt

Quote from: bluecaravan521 on January 20, 2008, 06:25:17 PM
Who do y'all want to count for Nevada on the blue side?  I hear there's controversy over who the true victor was...for now I'll leave it as a ?, maybe we'll have to wait on the official state ruling.

I think it's a situation like the 2000 national election (without the police intimidation, recounts, etc.)--one candidate won the popular vote, and another the majority of delegates.

That said, I also have to acknowlege that there's something a little creepy about a guy who made his money suing doctors for malpractice...
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

^^^
no argument from me. of course, they're all lawyers.
I emailed each of the campaigns (and one of the debates) a question about malpractice reform. So far, all I've gotten back are requests for $
:|
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sunrisevt

Quote from: slslbs on January 20, 2008, 06:49:06 PM
So far, all I've gotten back are requests for $
:|

Of course. Politicians--always with the hands out.  :roll:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

saw part of the SC debate last night.

it's getting nasty :evil:

Hillary has a way of taking things out of context, twisting things around, and putting words in people's mouths.

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Due to "equal airtime" laws, TNT could not air re-runs of Law & Order from the seasons that Fred Thompson was in the cast. 

Not really noteable, unless you're Elisabeth Rohm who was on the show for the same seasons as Fred Thompson, and your royalty cheques start to dry up...