News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W18: 07-30-2003 E Centre, Camden, NJ

Started by susep, September 11, 2006, 07:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Ok men(and women :wink:) here's my pick, sorry for the delay :-D

Announcing: the first show club week post hiatus

30July2003 Camden, NJ
Set I:  My Friend, My Friend, Lonesome Cowboy Bill, Scents and Subtle Sounds, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, Spock's Brain>Chalk Dust Torture, On Your Way Down, Fast Enough For You>Taste

Set II:   Twist, Bug, You Enjoy Myself, Walls of the Cave
Encore:  Secret Smile

Show Notes: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere debuted.  FEFY included a Gin tease from Page.  Last Lonesome Cowboy Bill(31Oct.98)>170 shows prior.
Last On Your Way Down(2Oct.99)>105 shows prior.

set 1:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=11F30C666D97E522

end of set 1 + set 2
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3D28310C7B44E789

end of set 2 + Encore
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BCF736634C27CADB

I'll have the torrent up in a smidge in the mean time give it a listen or pop in your recent pph copies and discuss :beers:

edit

August

cool pick.
one of the few PH shows that i saw.
a

ma215

^^^ same here. I saw 55 pre hiatus shows and 7 after. Looking back on this show it has a tight setlist but I just wasnt into it at the show. I enjoyed Spocks Brain, Lonesome Cowboy, Fast Enough ( I believe),  and On Your Way down as those were the only times I saw them and it was my 3rd (2nd) to last show w/ IT being the last.  I havent had a chance to listen to it since that night but this might be the perfect time to do so.

cactusfan

scents & subtle sounds and twist are two of the best things phish ever played, pre or post hiatus.

haven't listened to the rest of the show in a while, will get to it soon...

:banana:

susep

Quote from: cactusfan on September 12, 2006, 01:22:34 AM
scents & subtle sounds and twist are two of the best things phish ever played, pre or post hiatus.

agreed about Scents, its off the charts!

August

just like the night before in Burgettstown, they decided to unload a ton of kickdowns throughout this show.people complain about the flow of the sets, but i think that, in this case, the risk they took overshadows that.

My Friend-i have said it before...my favorite phish tune.only played twice during PH, and the other one was 1-2-03.played rather well.

Cowboy Bill-big bustout(170 shows).like this tune alot.

Scents-finally got to hear it.i knew they were playing this tune on this tour, but had no idea what it sounded like.i kind of assumed that this was it while they were playing it.i like these versions with the intro a little bit better, too.an epic version that started with a real "summer" vibe in the beginning of the jam.then they settle into a little bit funkier/harder groove...Fish was really pounding on the china towards the end of this 30 minute tune.its cool that two of the greatest scents were played at camden.

Nowhere-nice obscure Dylan choice.played well.

Spocks-cool kickdown.not as good as Vegas, but i give them credit.

Chalkdust-a real smoker.its short, which i like, but a little hard to describe exactly why it is that i like it.they change between keys abrupty, but fittingly.

Your Way Down-another big kick(105 shows).my only one that i saw.love page on this.plaayed really well.

FEFY-little shaky.i put this tune and billy breathes in the same catagory.i love both tunes, but the solo section could be a real trainwreck most of the times.this one wasnt too bad.

Taste-not a fan of this tune.you knew it was the end of the set.

Twist-had a frantic feel to it.classic PH jamming style going on.kinda keeps the same pace for a while, gets a little evil towards the end.ok version.

Bug-played well.i like this tune sometimes.

YEM-monster jam!trey rocks the one note, tp-tempo loop (a la Heavy Things) throughout the jam.Fish is on FIRE!again,slamming his china to bits!really funky jam section on this one.

Walls-i am hot and cold on this one.was played alright, the vocals are pretty poor, though.
jam...standard.i do like 4 song secon sets for some reason.

Smile-i would admit if i liked this, but i dont.weak that people were booing after they were done, though.i like slowers encores to be honest, but this song is not written well.

judging this show on a Phish scale, and not on a PH scale i would give it...
C

a

Caravan2001

We were on the lawn for the first set, and moved down to row 5 or ten for the second set...I don't remeber too much about this show and have not heard it since, but I do remember one thing, and I'm wondering if anyone else remembers too:  This was the only show out of 300 that I ever heard anyone booing at when the show ended.  After Secret Smile, there were some pretty loud murmer/boos coming from around the crowd....I couldn't believe it, even if I didn't think the show was that hot...I am sure you can probably hear it on an FOB source...I mean after the bomb drop the night before, and people are booing? My wife and I were embarrased to be int he crowd, because I had never heard the band heckled like that.... I'm interested in hearing this show......I'll d/l it, thanks

Caravan2001

".weak that people were booing after they were done, "....sorry I didn't see a's post before I put mine.....

Caravan2001

and I forgot they played that Dylan tune...that was sweet....plus on your way down is pretty much a kick down for the most part......

DoW

I remember the boos.  same thing happened at 2/16/03.  different feel and different crowd for a lot of post hiatus shows.

it is the same people that were booing that are begging for more LP releases so they can illegally download them because they as fans are "owed" them.

I liked this show.  I am the one person who wasn't really blown away by the Secnts & Subtle Sounds.  For some reason, it didn't do it for me.  I always love a MFMF opener.

Liked the Chalkdust & Taste a lot.  Can't complain about a 4 song 2nd set with the YEM being the highlight.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

I don't think I EVER heard anyone Boo the boys before.  I would have been pretty disappointed in the crowd, but that's what you get when you play in front of a bunch of Philly assho^%$.  Those people would boo their own mother for cooking meatloaf the wrong way.  No offense to anyone from Philly, but I have always thought of them, aside from New Yorkers, to be the most Hostile crowds for any event, sporting or not.  The closest I ever came to booing the boys, or maybe I should say "the most disappointed" because I would NEVER boo them, would have to have been when they played Tubthumping at Hampton '98. :roll:  That seriously chapped my ass!!!!    :|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

On a side note, this "run" would have to be the only time I was ever disappointed in myself for not doing, only because I had a legitimate chance of making it.  I did Deer Creek -> Raliegh (6 shows) and let my  ex-GF talk me out of going to Burgettstown and Camden.  While I was broke, we all know you can make it work if you want it bad enough.   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

August

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Caravan2001

funny, my wife thinks Tubthumping was one of the best things she ever saw....she loved it......