News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ipod? mp3 player? huh?

Started by willsteele, June 24, 2009, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willsteele

What do you know about mp3 players err..  ipods or whatever?

Just recently I have been blessed with a ton of music in mp3 format.  My options for listening to it are either on the computer at home or in my truck.  I don't get much time at home but I do have a bit when I am driving.  But I have no cd player in my truck.  Only a tape deck.  I have a wired tape deck adapter thing that is supposed to be for Sirius that would allow me to listen in the truck.  I think.

Sooo....  Any recommendations on what to do?  Get an mp3 player?  An iPod? Whats the difference?   Will the tape deck adapter suffice or is there a better option?

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  More thoughts?

Thanks yo.      :beers:   Heres to taking the next step.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i got converted for xmas from an offbrand mp3 player to an ipod...

my ipod has it's hassles, but i enjoy it emensely... i have a nano.. enough room for me and the battery stays charged forever!

i use the tape adapter in the car, the radio freq. thingies alwasy crap out on me or never work.

keep your eye on woot.com, they have refurbished ones up for a bit less than full price sometimes, but they go pretty quick.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

flow00

An iPod is an mp3 player, and they don't get any better than that. Go to apple.com and look at the different ipods. Depending on how much music you want to play on it, you won't spend that much money. Don't be tricked by other mp3 players! Apple rules and always will!

flow00

And there are cheap accessories that will allow you to play your ipod in your car via a radio frequency.

antelope19

Yeah, everyone is going to have their own opinion, but for me, I've got an 80 gig IPOD Classic because I don't want to deal with taking music on and off the thing all the time.  If I want to hear something, I want to hear it now, not when I get home.  It's a nice luxury to have your entire music collection(for the most part) in the palm of your hand.  As for the tape deck adapter, I still use one.  I also have an RCA cord on my reciever at home so that I can plug my IPOD into my stereo via headphone jack.  Said cord will run about $6 at Best Buy.      
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

flow00

Every time I'm in my car, I listen to music with the headphones on. Saves money.

antelope19

Quote from: flow00 on June 24, 2009, 01:02:47 PM
Every time I'm in my car, I listen to music with the headphones on. Saves money.

Saves Money? 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

flow00

Quote from: antelope19 on June 24, 2009, 01:03:48 PM

Saves Money? 

I don't have to buy an adapter or anything.

inourdr

I've been on the iPod band wagon for years now and love it. They are a little pricey compared to other mp3 players but worth it in my opinion. I currently use a Nano 3rd Generation but any of them will work. It's personal preference. I also use iTunes on my MacBook and work PC so the iPod was the right choice for me. My wife uses a tape deck adapter for her car. The sound is OK but hard to tell cuz her speakers are crap. Other selling point on the iPod is all the accessories (portable stereos and such) that are made specifically for iPods now a days. My stereo receiver has an iPod mode, and the new Panasonic TV's have an iPod feature.

Have you thought about converting the mp3's to WAV files and burning them onto a disc? You'll lose some quality by doing this but could be a cheaper route for you if money is tight.

flow00

You also could save money buying used ipods on Craigslist or ebay because people are always looking to get rid of theirs for better ones.

inourdr

Quote from: flow00 on June 24, 2009, 01:05:40 PM

Saves Money? 

A ticket from the boys in blue will change that.

Hicks

Saves Money? 

kinda dangerous though, no?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

khalpin

Quote from: inourdr on June 24, 2009, 01:07:51 PM

Saves Money? 

A ticket from the boys in blue will change that.
Yeah, I was wondering if that's legal or not.

willsteele

Thanks for all the info so far.

One of the reasons I was going to go this route is because of the time and money to burn all of it to disc.  It would take forever and I would need a fuckload of discs.  And again, I don't have a cd player in the truck.  So it seems like getting an ipod or whatever would be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

I'd be ok with spending $100-150 if that is possible.  But less is nice.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

flow00

Quote from: willsteele on June 24, 2009, 01:11:34 PM
Thanks for all the info so far.

One of the reasons I was going to go this route is because of the time and money to burn all of it to disc.  It would take forever and I would need a fuckload of discs.  And again, I don't have a cd player in the truck.  So it seems like getting an ipod or whatever would be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

I'd be ok with spending $100-150 if that is possible.  But less is nice.

You could get a decent ipod with plenty of space for under $150. Check out this link on ebay: http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=ipod&_sacat=293