News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

SHN playback with VLC

Started by Marmar, December 06, 2014, 02:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Is it even possible? Now that winamp is in limbo, I would love to ditch it for good and just keep VLC as my main software.....only issue is.....

2/3 of my music is in SHN.....I absolutely DO NOT want to spend 2 months or more converting them all to FLAC....

Any ideas?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

DoW

Quote from: Marmar on December 06, 2014, 02:21:29 PM
Is it even possible? Now that winamp is in limbo, I would love to ditch it for good and just keep VLC as my main software.....only issue is.....

2/3 of my music is in SHN.....I absolutely DO NOT want to spend 2 months or more converting them all to FLAC....

Any ideas?
foobar?
yeah, I get only wanting one app for music and video.  I just regularly use foobar for tagging so I keep it loaded up and it plays shn files fine.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mistercharlie

I think you you have to add a plug-in to get foobar to play shn, but it works just fine after that.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

DoW

actually, everything I've read, VLC plays shn files fine.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

jam>

I like the overly simple interface of VLC for playing my FLACs. Further off topic: I've been really happy with the little USB digital audio converter I got for $150. It really makes a difference.

Marmar

Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2014, 09:11:05 AM

weird...cuz everything I've seen nothing that says it does....all the forum entries at vlc don't mention it either....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

khalpin

Quote from: Marmar on December 07, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2014, 09:11:05 AM

weird...cuz everything I've seen nothing that says it does....all the forum entries at vlc don't mention it either....
I've never been able to play shn's via vlc

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."