News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

01/01 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, January 01, 2011, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: slslbs on January 11, 2011, 09:21:44 AM
Quote from: sophist on January 11, 2011, 08:41:22 AM
I think his musical ideas are proof enough he's dead sober.  His playing is the antithesis of psychedelia these days.  He no longer has the Jedi-tone, or is in touch with that dimension.  When Phish does venture into psychedelic territory, Trey always seems to be the one that is lost (even in that 12/30 Tweezer).

I've said this before, but John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis and others have proven that it is possible to be creative, jam, and improvise after one stops using drugs.
All you need to do is practice / rehearse
more recently-
George Harrison stopped using acid in 67, before Abbey road and before All Things Must Pass
Pete Townsend stopped before Quadrophenia.
Phil Lesh stopped a long time ago - not sure when, but I suspect before he married Jill
and Zappa never used, but his music is among the most far out there I've heard

Far out, man.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

Quote from: mattstick on January 11, 2011, 08:44:25 AM

People need to realize that the Makisupa "keyword" is a song lyric, not some admission of drug use from Trey.

I have realized this, and thats why I had to crack a joke about it. Anyone that listens to Makisupa thinking it is Trey's personal drug stories is just nieve.

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 11, 2011, 10:11:08 AM
I think his musical ideas are proof enough he's dead sober.  His playing is the antithesis of psychedelia these days.  He no longer has the Jedi-tone, or is in touch with that dimension.  When Phish does venture into psychedelic territory, Trey always seems to be the one that is lost (even in that 12/30 Tweezer).

I've said this before, but John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis and others have proven that it is possible to be creative, jam, and improvise after one stops using drugs.
more recently-
George Harrison stopped using acid in 67, before Abbey road and before All Things Must Pass
Phil Lesh stopped a long time ago - not sure when, but I suspect before he married Jill

Far out, man.

Phil Lesh still smokes pot Steve. I smoked a bowl with Phil and some other people in '99. And at the Phil and Friends shows at the Beacon after 911, Phil was puffing a small bowl behind his amp and effects stack. Although the bowl could of contained tobacco, I'm pretty sure Phil doesn't smoke cigarettes. Now I know this is not psychedelics, but the brother still gets high  :mrgreen: But I do agree with you that you need not do drugs to get out there. I think you also need to add John McLaughlin to that list.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

roggae

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 13, 2011, 08:10:21 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 11, 2011, 10:11:08 AM

more recently-

Far out, man.

Phil Lesh still smokes pot Steve. I smoked a bowl with Phil and some other people in '99. And at the Phil and Friends shows at the Beacon after 911, Phil was puffing a small bowl behind his amp and effects stack. Although the bowl could of contained tobacco, I'm pretty sure Phil doesn't smoke cigarettes. Now I know this is not psychedelics, but the brother still gets high  :mrgreen: But I do agree with you that you need not do drugs to get out there. I think you also need to add John McLaughlin to that list.

Good point and yeah Phil.
Clearly it's all awful.

JPhishman

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 10, 2011, 09:42:09 PM
Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think Trey is completely sober -- even on NYE.

Me too. and I don't see that changing.

at least I hope not, for his sake.

The hell with us.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Declan

I believe that it has mostly to do with achieving the state of letting go....

and it's much harder in a stadium surrounded by thousands of people.

you attempt to achieve that mental state of similarity where you are as comfortable on stage as you are at, for example, a cottage in vermont.

having a few drinks helps you loosen up, having drugs also do so... it's about getting to that space where you are comfortable.

Post-inebriation trey is still in the process of recreating comfort in himself.
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

rowjimmy

Woah!
It's only been 14 days since your last post... You're gonna mess up your average!

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 14, 2011, 03:32:22 PM
Woah!
It's only been 14 days since your last post... You're gonna mess up your average!

my average is still 1.465 per day! are you nuts!?
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

sunrisevt

Quote from: JPhishman on January 13, 2011, 11:13:43 PM
Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think Trey is completely sober -- even on NYE.

The hell with us.

This.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 14, 2011, 04:29:41 PM

The hell with us.

This.
Ser.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 14, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on January 14, 2011, 04:29:41 PM

The hell with us.

This.
Ser.

I don't think there is any question that he is straight. From what I have heard about the backstage scene, it is a ser. no party zone. To the point of being weird. It's all business now.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 14, 2011, 05:24:22 PM

I don't think there is any question that he is straight. From what I have heard about the backstage scene, it is a ser. no party zone. To the point of being weird. It's all business now.
Which equates to no jams.  The comfort just isn't there.

ytowndan

People need to realize that the Makisupa "keyword" is a song lyric, not some admission of drug use from Trey.

Seriously.  There's only so many ways that Trey can make a joke about "waking up in Whitehall" or "pissing in a cup for his probation officer".  The joke can only stay fresh for so long.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ytowndan on January 14, 2011, 05:43:45 PM

Seriously.  There's only so many ways that Trey can make a joke about "waking up in Whitehall" or "pissing in a cup for his probation officer".  The joke can only stay fresh for so long.

there are fewer drug references in Phish songs than there are in Paul Simon songs... /just sayin'.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul