News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Our slogan: "our groove" or "the groove"

Started by tet, December 11, 2006, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

Raised by a wiki team member, a very valid question.  I have no problem with either but now i'm curious what everybody thinks.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

wikipaug, crack for phishheads without the itching. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Casey Lenahan

I owe Aug $20

jephrey

I liked "our" initially but I see the relevance of "the".  I suppose the our is possessive and we don't own the groove, however, If "our" implies everyone that visits the site, it could mean that we are each sharing our individual grooves with each other.  And that's groovy.  I'm indifferent so I went with other, and meant either.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

i voted for our groove.... because i feel like we've done a ton of work getting this together which has created a groove, and now we'd like to share that groove....

but i could deal with the other way too.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

susep

"our" has a better ring in my ears.  "The" seems mundane :roll:

tet

Quote from: susep73 on December 12, 2006, 10:44:15 AM
"our" has a better ring in my ears.  "The" seems mundane :roll:

that's my feeling too, but like i said, i understand both points.  i'm leaning towards keeping "our" because it is the community that is sharing the groove... the band quit on us, remember?   :| :roll:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

PhishJY

I'm partial to "the groove" because that's exactly what it is.  "Sharing OUR Groove With You" implies that I have some groove that I would like to impart.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

jephrey

I might look at it like

"We the people" - "Our groove"

"The people" = "The groove"

Like everyone, I can see the argument against "Our".  We're not sharing "OUR" groove, the groove isn't owned by "us" unless you take "us" or "our" to mean everyone. 

But lets say that everyone who makes an addition/correction to the wiki is sharing part of their groove (they're spending their time and effort so they are sharing something of theirs), because your submission/correction is "your" groove, and that "our" refers to anyone who has made a submission.  Then it makes sense.  I mean, week4paug.net says sharing our groove with you and I think everyone is cool with it.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

only a bunch of silly stoners would debate the difference between "our groove" and "the groove"  :-P
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

fauxpaxfauxreal

My suggestion: "The Lille France McGrupp: Love it or Leave Us"

And

"Where FauxPasFauxReal is ALWAYS right".

jephrey

eatin' box rules!
-the wikipaug team

splitting pubic hair with our teeth.

jephrey

Or,

If we spent as much time working on the wiki as we do talking about using "the" or "our" in the wiki's slogan, we'd have the thing nearly finished.

:samurai: :wink:

J