News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

American Prime Minister?

Started by jedifunk, August 17, 2011, 08:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on August 18, 2011, 10:20:20 AM
as i said in the taxes thread, i think the people in this country are much closer together than most think... its just that we are letting the political extremes drive the conversation and the politics.  i think the people are much closer.

I really don't think that this is the case.
Crazy bitches are out there believing crazy shit.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 18, 2011, 02:28:49 PM
as i said in the taxes thread, i think the people in this country are much closer together than most think... its just that we are letting the political extremes drive the conversation and the politics.  i think the people are much closer.

SER. 

I mean remember the health care debate with people having shouting matches at town hall meetings?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on August 18, 2011, 02:36:24 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 18, 2011, 02:28:49 PM

SER. 

I mean remember the health care debate with people having shouting matches at bringing guns to town hall meetings?

jedifunk

well, i'd have to say using bachman as your reference defeats your point.  she IS the extreme
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on August 18, 2011, 03:13:46 PM
well, i'd have to say using bachman as your reference defeats your point.  she IS the extreme

Don't read the news much do you?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/13/finally-here-ames-straw-poll-first-test-2012/
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jedifunk

Quote from: Hicks on August 18, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/13/finally-here-ames-straw-poll-first-test-2012/
no offense, but i put exactly zero faith in the "straw poll". 

and she IS the extreme, no two ways about it... trust me, i hear about it more than most living in MN
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

gah

And yet she's a top 3 contender for the gop at this point. People don't get to that point because they're "leading" everyone to the extreme, but because a majority of people are backing those individuals. You see what I'm saying? You want to believe everyone isn't really divided, but if that we re the case the majority would have much more centrist individuals leading the nominations. Instead you've got Perry and Bachmann  :roll:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

jedifunk

no, i think you're missing the point.

when the gop rolls out bachmann & perry as the choices, thats the extreme leading.  this might sound crazy, but i think i'd prefer having W back than either of these 2 morons.

i also think that obama is on the cusp of extreme to the other way.  mccain was much more central, but people got caught up in the swell that obama created, myself included.  i think i'd still vote for him again, but he's done less than i expected him to do.  although to be fair, he's been hamstrung by a lot of cleanup work from the messes W left behind
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on August 18, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
no, i think you're missing the point.

when the gop rolls out bachmann & perry as the choices, thats the extreme leading.  this might sound crazy, but i think i'd prefer having W back than either of these 2 morons.

i also think that obama is on the cusp of extreme to the other way.  mccain was much more central, but people got caught up in the swell that obama created, myself included.  i think i'd still vote for him again, but he's done less than i expected him to do.  although to be fair, he's been hamstrung by a lot of cleanup work from the messes W left behind

Romney's a centrist and so is Pawlenty to some degree.  Pawlenty is already toast and Romney continues to be hammered for his centrist record by the GOP establishment.

Bachmann and Perry are front runners because of the support they have received, why else would they be?

rowjimmy

I used a Bachman picture cos she just plain LOOKS crazy.

But I didn't need her for my point. I could introduce you to half of the people on this train.

Or I could point you toward Wisconsin and their failed recall efforts.

People are divided. If you don't see it you either aren't getting out much or are extremely naive.

jedifunk

no offense RJ, but i'm neither naive nor sheltered.  i guess you're just lucky enough to live in DC
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

If for the sake of argument you were naive or sheltered, would you think that you were?   :evil:

rowjimmy

I think a lot of people stay safely in a cocoon of familiar faces and places and don't often encounter anything but like-minds. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Me, I roll through the lair of the beast every day.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: jedifunk on August 18, 2011, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: Hicks on August 18, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

no offense, but i put exactly zero faith in the "straw poll". 

and she IS the extreme, no two ways about it... trust me, i hear about it more than most living in MN

agreed
imo people who vote in primaries, get physically involved this often, march in protests, get on the news, etc are different than the majority of voters. they're the extreme. they get heard because they're involved and cause they're loud. because of that, they carry more weight than they would deserve based upon numbers alone.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 18, 2011, 08:11:07 PM
I think a lot of people stay safely in a cocoon of familiar faces and places and don't often encounter anything but like-minds. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Me, I roll through the lair of the beast every day.

Shit, I work with freakin Mormons.