News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

SHNShare

Started by jephrey, January 28, 2005, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

I have seen it mentioned.  How is it?  Should I bother?  Just curious if there's any advantage to it at all.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

i've checked it out, and its a nice way to get shows, much like furthur...but, its also works alot like FTP in that you each person only has a limited number of open slots and a lot of times you have to wait (sometimes days) to get into a persons files and start your download.  if you have the ability to "set it and forget it" its probably pretty cool and a good way to get shows, but for me having only a limited amount of bandwidth and such, i find BT to be much better.

just one man's opinions here.  look for boyder here and ask him...he's the one who introduced it to me.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

I havent used it in a while; DC++ to me is pretty archaic.  You have to wait in queues and if you reboot or shut down the app you'll lose your space in queue.  Its much like a network of FTP servers available to browse all at once, but when you want something you usually have to wait in line.  

I havent use it in a while because I really didnt like the Linux client I tested.  

I prefer BT to anything.
-AD_

jedifunk

i agree.  BT is superior to anything else available right now.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/21/1946212&from=rss

BrasOnMyGuitar writes "The file sharing application known as eXeem (made
by the creators of the now-defunct file-sharing site SuprNova.org) has
gone into public beta. The program is based on the BitTorrent protocol.
However, it eliminates the need for trackers and decentralizes the user
from the network. This allows for Kazaa-style searching with the speeds
and benefits of the BitTorrent protocol." Reader Eeknay points out that
Linux users can run it too.
-AD_

guyforget

SHNShare's best attribute is its community; much like FurthurNET.  There are several very dedicated folks over there with hundreds of shows shared at once and thousands over time.  I have filled some very rare holes in my list with help from people who are consistantly on the SHNShare hub.  

My main deal is that waiting in queue just isnt my bag; plain and simple.
-AD_