News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W10: 04-23-1993 Colgate U., Hamilton, NY

Started by Caravan2001, April 14, 2008, 10:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

I had a hard time picking a show.  There have been a lot of great picks the past 9 weeks, and picking a show that is under the radar for you guys is like selling ice to an Eskimo.  I was going to pick 11/22/92 Cornell, but pnchundi just did a '92.  As Hicks mentioned, picking a show from the peak years is like shooting fish in a barrel, so I tried to pick a show that I don't think makes the rounds too much.  To me, this isn't the most amazing show out there, but this show is all about the Weekapaug Groove (Top 5 for me), and it has some other great moments, including my last ever Curtis Lowe (until the Big Cypress 'check).  This was a pretty tiny show on their basketball court (GD played there in '77) and the whole show was basically just the size of a court with the bleachers pushed in.  The show was packed, and despite the fact that it was the "Spring Concert" and there was ton of drunk fratsters, it was still a good, amped, Upstate NY crowd.....Full review to follow, but I have to review week 9 first!

Lossy (part 2 has the set 1 closer at the beginning):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p03ihz
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jtmrdb

Lossless:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=514682

PHISH
4-23-93
COTTERELL COURT, REED ATHLETIC CENTER,
COLGATE UNIVERSITY, HAMILTON, NY

===========================================================|

SOURCE: AKG460B/CK61 (TS)> CUSTOM PREAMP> DAT (TEAC DA-P20)

CONVERSION: CTD8000H-S> DAT2WAV> SOUNDFORGE 5.0 (RESAMPLING
FROM 48kHz TO 44.1kHz, LEVEL 4 WITH ANTI-ALIAS FILTERING)>
CD WAVE (TRACK SPLITS)> SHN (WITH SEEK FILES APPENDED)

===========================================================|

DISC 1/SET 1:

01. RUNAWAY JIM
02. WEIGH >
03. SPARKLE
04. SPLIT OPEN AND MELT
05. FLUFFHEAD
06. MY FRIEND, MY FRIEND >
07. THE DIVIDED SKY
08. GUELAH PAPYRUS
09. LAWN BOY *

DISC 2:/SET 1 CONTINUED:

01. CHALK DUST TORTURE
SET 2:
02. GOLGI APPARATUS
03. MAZE
04. THE BALAD OF CURTIS LOEW
05. IT'S ICE
06. PAUL AND SILAS >
07. BIG BALL JAM
08. MIKE'S SONG >
09. I AM HYDROGEN >
10. WEEKAPAUG GROOVE
11. HYHU JAM
12. LENGTHWISE %
13. HYHU JAM

DISC 3/SET 2 CONTINUED:

01. THE SQUIRMING COIL
02. HIGHWAY TO HELL
ENCORE:
03. FIRE

G. Augusto

Jim/Weigh - Standard '93 fare. I love the solos in Weigh.

Sparkle - Tree/Knee

Split - Coming off THE Split in Columbus, I like how they don't try and replicate it. Pretty damn rippin' version.

Fluff - Nice acoustic outro >

My Friend - My Friend

Sky - Trey and Mike are doing a lot of jumping so far...

Guelah - Papyrus

Lawn - For Fish's Folx. Cool Trey solo.

Chalk - Rippin'.

Golgi/Maze - Both solid.

Curtis - The last of the Spring Tour and 2nd to last one evAr!

Ice - He's falling on it.

Silas - Great Page solo.

BBJ - Yes they were.

Mike's - Pretty meaty.

H2/Week - Great Weekapaug. The beginning of the jam sounds composed. Cool accents toward the end, too.

Length - With Mimi and gym banners.

Coil - Great Page solo.

Hell/Fire -  :-o

Pretty much Spring '93 right here.
Solid playing with a "big" jam in the second set.
I give it a solid B.
a

Caravan2001

I think the gym banners were only during Highway to Hell, but they could have been during Lengthwise too....I was pretty out there at this show, but I don't remember them during Lengthwise.  I do remember them from Highway to Hell, as Mike held them up during the verses.  It was then that I realized that the only part of Highway to Hell that Mike plays on is the chorus.....from this show on, I always watched what he would do during the verse part, and it was usually something pretty funny....

susep

23April93

Jim - nice way to open, military Fish. 

Weigh - tight versions of this one played in '93, peaking at 30Dec.

Sparkle - keeping the energy going...

Melt -  by this time this tune had evolved onto a higher plane as represented by the preceeding version, more of that intensity in this one.  Trey playing very intense, amazing.  Short but hot version.

Fluffhead - solid version.

My Friend - more support of Rift.

Sky - great tune esp. if executed with extra flair, love the "no music" section into descending jazz progression, transitioning into ascending series, Page sounding sweet on the Hammond.  Nice sustain and attack by Trey.  Aquatic Phish.  I remember thinking back then when hearing this tune how cool it was that Trey would play this neat little melody in an almost classical expression.  Nice builds and flair, great consistency.

Guelah - consistent variety.

Lawn Boy - another early fav. "take it away lawn boy...", laid back Trey solo, Feb. versions sound more inspired by this time.  Page extending on his outro.

Chalk Dust - nice set ender.

II.

Golgi - "I saw you..."

Maze - Machine Gun Trey, digging deep.  Page solos first, excellent jam, everyone clearly listening.  Page setting up Trey bigtime, Trey takes the reins, more great attack.  Smoking bend series.  Nice ascending peaks, release.  Nice version.

Curtis - New Riders of the Purple Page.

Ice - repeat from prior show, decent reading.

Paul and Silas - bluegrass/country/western fav.(again, 30Dec.93)

BBJam - as inspired by The Song Remains The Same?

Mike's - twisted jam, bedrock playing. 

H2 - nice release, serene version.

'Paug -  atypical jamming, which is typical for this tune.  Other cool little jams open up like the one near 7:00.  Fun version.

Lengthwise - Fish suite

Coil - love it, solid as usual.

HtoHell - "living free..."

E:

Fire - Trey: the early 90's Hendrix.

solid Spring '93 outing here, the band setting themselves up nicely for July and August.  A few show highlights but the Sky certainly resonates.  The Phish were like hungry barracuda at this point in their evolution, beautiful yet dangerous.  Nice pick overall.  Grade: B.

MVP: Trey

Hicks

The "I finally got off my ass and rewired my system so I can watch TV (most importantly NBA playoffs) and listen to my ipod through my stereo at the same time" edition. 

Jim:  This one seemed to be particularly high energy, hmmmmm maybe this tune is finally growing on me, nice opener.

Weigh: Page rips it

Sparkle: No show club selection is complete without it!   :-D

Split:  Pretty hott with some nice machine gun action.

Fluff:  Cool atypical acoustic outro

MFMF:  almost went into a vocal jam at the end, always a welcome addition to a first set, I really dig these versions with Trey on acoustic when he switches to the electric it's like a smack in the face, in a good way.

Divided Sky:  well played, pretty short too.

Guelah/Lawn Boy:  werd

Chalkdust:  Trey rages it pretty hard, above average version.

B+ set, nothing crazy but great song selection and all well played, Split is probably the highlight.

Golgi/Maze: standard

Curtis Loew/Lowe:  Super sick, much more polished and "big" sounding than the '80s versions, Page's grand helps it out a bit too.

It's Ice: a personal favorite of mine, unfortunately the middle part where interesting things sometimes happen was just Page playing some random notes, excellent work by Fishman on this version though. 

Mike's:  Cool fills by Mike in the intro, actually Mike sounds particularly good for the period throughout this show, the nice sound quality of the tape helps highlight him as well.  Nice country style riffage by Trey in the verses and choruses.  Super dark and swirling quality to the beginning of the jam, Page and Trey bouncing off each other perfectly!  More evil riffage after the first time through the ending part, which almost has an atonal Middle Eastern thing going on, kinda Fripp-y too.  Pretty frickin' sweet version.

Weekapaug:   It's funny because I'm pretty sure the last show you posted caravan, the clear highlight was a late 2nd set Mike's Groove and this show is no different.  The jam kinda breaks down where they would normally be wrapping it up which pushes them into some different territory, very cool variation on the paug theme around 6:30 you can still what song they are playing but the rhythms are all changed up.  By 7:30 were in some completely different melodic zone with some great ascending/soaring lines from Trey.  Cool start/stop jamming at the end too.  Trumps the Mike's easily, epic version! 

Lengthwise: clearly some amateur vacuum by Mimi, I guess Fish got his talents from his father.   :-D

Squirming Coil: I was gonna say that Trey could still nail this one, but there is a noticeable flub, oh well.  Still a great tune and this one features a nice laid back Page solo.   

Highway to Hell: Kinda weird that this one got tossed with the trash at some point, it would have been cool if they had kept it and would have had another alternate rocking closer or encore beside GTBT and the big Zero.  Fun as always.

Fire: yessir.

Overall a solid affair with nice song selection and pacing.  I give it a B+ rating, with Curtis Lowe and the Mike's Groove lifting it above B status.  Nice pick caravan. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

QuoteSET 1:
RUNAWAY JIM
WEIGH >
SPARKLE
SPLIT OPEN AND MELT
FLUFFHEAD
MY FRIEND, MY FRIEND >
THE DIVIDED SKY
GUELAH PAPYRUS
LAWN BOY
CHALK DUST TORTURE

Always a fan of the Jim opener, and this version is fun.  Good Stuff.  Weigh is always a fun song, and Trey takes a great solo in this version (I'll note I've never heard a version of Weigh I didn't like).  Sparkle = meh.  Here comes the meat of the first set!  SOAM and Fluffhead are both hot versions and placed well in the set.  MFMF always a treat and segues into Sky, which has some great playing by Trey.  GP, & Lawn Boy are standard, but fun none the less.  Solid Chalkdust to close out the first set.   

QuoteSET 2:
GOLGI APPARATUS
MAZE
THE BALAD OF CURTIS LOEW
IT'S ICE
PAUL AND SILAS >
BIG BALL JAM
MIKE'S SONG >
I AM HYDROGEN >
WEEKAPAUG GROOVE
HYHU JAM >
LENGTHWISE % >
HYHU JAM
THE SQUIRMING COIL
HIGHWAY TO HELL
The second set was the better set imo.  I do like a Golgi opener, and this is a good version.  Maze is standard but rips.  Next we get a rare cover, which is one of my favorite LS songs.  Well played and a great treat.  Smoking version of its ice follows.  P&S = standard.  This big ball is the only negative part of the set.  I got bored with it  :| .  Mike's Groove is the highlight of the set.  Nasty sequence imo. 
HYHU > Lengthwise > HYHU aka the fishman show.  good stiff.  Coil features some great work by page.  Highway the Hell is a great way to end the set. 

QuoteENCORE:
03. FIRE
Excellent encore.  Trey rips this shit. 

Overall, the first set flows well, and has some great playing by the boys.  The second set contains some heat and also flows well.  Great encore to end the show.  I rate the first set as a B- and the second set as a B.  Overall I give show a B-/B. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

pnchundi

Runaway Jim- lots of life left in this Jim.  Good energy to start up the show
Weigh-although the placement seems odd, this is a fun weigh and keeps things moving
Sparkle-
Split Open- things are really cranking now.  Early sections are tight, and Trey rips near the ned
Fluffhead- Good version, nothing insane, but the acoustic ending and transition into MFMF is cool
MFMF-we had a discussion on phook about this songs placements (is it better as an opener?) but this version well played and well placed
Divided Sky- a little rough in places, but things really take off around the 10 min mark.
Guelah- after 3 pretty intense jams, we all needed to cool off
Lawn Boy- always fun
Chalkdust- typical ending to a great set, Trey is a wild man and keeps everyone (crowd included) up and moving

Golgi-another great opener
Maze-now we are talking.  Its funny how in these early version's Page's opening notes sounded like the ping of a radar machine from a James Bond movie.   Nice playing by all
Curtis Lowe-great song and a great cover.  Wish they played this more
It's Ice-picking back up the intensity from Maze
Paul and Silas-demented bluegrass fun
Big Ball Jam-still cool b/c its early days for BBJ
Mikes>H2>Groove-the heart of this second set.  Great playing, and very intense
HYHU>Lengthwise>HYHU-comic relief by fishman
Squirming Coil-a chance for page to shine
Highway to Hell-I thought things would end with Page closing out the coil, but this Highway reminds you why you are there.

Fire-Trey is in control!

Great show and its nice to see so many great songs in one show.  Well played, but fairly typical for 93 (which is a compliment, not a complaint)