News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

8/21 Magnaball Night 1 - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, August 21, 2015, 11:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Phish
2015-08-21
Magnaball (Day 1)
Watkins Glen, NY

Set 1:
Simple, The Dogs, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Free, Happy Birthday*, Wedge, Mock Song^, Roggae, Rift, Bathtub Gin

Set 2:
Chalk Dust Torture > Ghost** > Rock & Roll > Harry Hood^^ > Waste, No Men In No Man's Land > Slave To The Traffic Light

Encore:
Farmhouse, First Tube

*sung for Eliza's (Trey's daughter) 20th birthday
^LTP 2003-07-12
** WTU? Teases
^^ Cars Trucks Busses tease

Just before Ghost, Trey teased WTU?

rowjimmy

I'd forget to put the encore on my phone tomorrow.

The rest is pretty much keeper material.

anthrax

2 down, 6 to go.  I need a veggie burrito, a balloon, and a pbr, pronto.

pcr3

Great flow in that second set. Definitely will go back to hear that asap. I'd guess any of us posting right now are pretty pissed that we're not there...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

Quote from: pcr3 on August 22, 2015, 12:00:00 AM
I'd guess any of us posting right now are pretty pissed that we're not there...

I wouldn't say "pissed".
Would I like to have been there? Hell yes.
But it's not in the cards.

I missed Clifford Ball 19 years ago because my daughter had just been born. Now I'm missing Magnaball to take her to college (tomorrow).
It is what it is.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 22, 2015, 12:18:03 AM
Quote from: pcr3 on August 22, 2015, 12:00:00 AM
I'd guess any of us posting right now are pretty pissed that we're not there...

I wouldn't say "pissed".
Would I like to have been there? Hell yes.
But it's not in the cards.

I missed Clifford Ball 19 years ago because my daughter had just been born. Now I'm missing Magnaball to take her to college (tomorrow).
It is what it is.

Thanks for keeping me in check.  I have been pretty salty.  I honestly think it is worse because my wife is there.  I mean, I really hope she is having a great time, and I know she is, but considering I am not a jealous person, I am having a lot of jealous feelings.  Which suck because they are negative....

mistercharlie

Shit looks sick! I had to call it a night after Gin, but that will still be the first thing I listen to today.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

susep

Solid show, listened via the Bunny.  kudos to Phish for hooking up the free listen along.  Went outside to hit some  :mrgreen: so missed the middle part of the first set.  Mock Song was a nice treat and throwback, definitely psyched to re-listen.  Roggae was heady, at first I thought it was Frankie Says :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  This first set had a kind of Lemonwheel vibe to me.  Gin was really good, they took it out, definitely had 2 or 3 distinct jams as I recall. 
The whole second set is mint, nice post jam out of Chalk Dust, another trippy jam out of Ghost.  Very atypical playing in both.  Rock & Roll had some nice Trey shreddage which ended with a brief funk/reggae pulse.  Hood was jammed out as well atypically.  No Men into Slave was the proverbial icing, always good to have a Hood and Slave in the same set much less same show.  The First Tube encore was fuego.  All in all great first day/show.  Pumped for the rest.   

jedifunk

given this was my first real extended listen to the band this tour, colour me impressed! and i only heard from ghost to the end.

all the jams were well played and unique, yet the set flowed really nicely.... from what i heard the ghost jam was probably my favorite, but can't wait to listen to the gin.

sadly, my problem with this kind of show (and it really is my problem), is that while it was well played and the jams were really good, i'll likely never come back to it. i won't remember that the whole set was well played, and i'll see song times right around 10 min, which normally isn't enough to get me excited.

i know this is a preconditioned problem i have, and i miss out on hear lots of great stuff... its just the digital age makes it too damn easy to only listen to the jams, and certainly leans towards the bigger jams...

perhaps i can be cured, only time will tell
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mehead

About to give the second set a proper re-listen. Missed the first set last night but did catch most of the second set - I bailed as they went into Slave. I thought it was well played and like others have said, the set flowed really well. The CDT did nothing for me and was bummed when they ripcorded Ghost. R & R and Hood were solid but nothing really stood out for me.

But first up, Magna Gin
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

tet

Started listening at Gin last night, man was that amazing...  Can't wait to give 1st set a proper listening now.  I saw the last (and first) Mock Song at Gorge, so very happy that's back.  TMWSIY>Avenu brings me back to my old tapes.  Second set had proper flow, regardless of any "ripcording."  IMO, the jams all worked, had me dancing (in bed) and then went into new songs.  Big deal.   

All of those  :wtu: phrasings were interesting, for sure...  maybe more Siket material is coming this weekend?
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

Quote from: tet on August 22, 2015, 11:30:58 AM
Second set had proper flow, regardless of any "ripcording."  IMO, the jams all worked, had me dancing (in bed) and then went into new songs.  Big deal.   

i think it is a big deal ... not a deal breaker, but still significant. to me, it feels like they (trey in particular) aren't willing to work for the smooth segue. thats what bothers me about it. i'm fine with moving onto another song, its that there seems to be an unwillingness to TRY to ease into the next song, especially in the midst of a solid jam that in a lot of cases doesn't match up with the song the go into.

just work for it, it makes the reward all the more sweet
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

Quote from: jedifunk on August 22, 2015, 11:37:44 AM
Second set had proper flow, regardless of any "ripcording."  IMO, the jams all worked, had me dancing (in bed) and then went into new songs.  Big deal.   

i think it is a big deal ... not a deal breaker, but still significant. to me, it feels like they (trey in particular) aren't willing to work for the smooth segue. thats what bothers me about it. i'm fine with moving onto another song, its that there seems to be an unwillingness to TRY to ease into the next song, especially in the midst of a solid jam that in a lot of cases doesn't match up with the song the go into.

fair point.  i think they do work for it sometimes.  more now than they were, say, 2 years ago...  honestly, from Hampton '09, i am happy to just take what we can get - it's  :phish:, and any other band's best set is like the worst  :phish: set ever  (and still, their BEST set is almost as good as James Brown's worst set...)
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

Quote from: tet on August 22, 2015, 12:20:00 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on August 22, 2015, 11:37:44 AM

fair point.  i think they do work for it sometimes.  more now than they were, say, 2 years ago...  honestly, from Hampton '09, i am happy to just take what we can get - it's  :phish:, and any other band's best set is like the worst  :phish: set ever  (and still, their BEST set is almost as good as James Brown's worst set...)

completely agree ... i'm happy that they are playing so well!  i'm just an old spoiled and jaded fan
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio