News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

when did you start?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 18, 2007, 09:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfterMidnight

i was driving along today and i was thinking how long i've been trading. it's been 10 years ago this dec. i went to and ten years since my 6th grade science teacher took me to my first "show" Ratdog. i was 13 at the time. crazy. i still feel like my collection is still a big mess that will never be complete or organized.

anyways how did everyone get in to trading and how long ago? lucky me me i never had to do cass trades. does the collection ever feel complete?

AfterMidnight

gosh...sorry about the bad grammar in the last post....

Marmar

never.

it NEVER ends.....

and....roughly 16 years......and counting.......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

There is a 'modify' link atop the post if you'd like to revise...

mattstick

Got my first GD tapes in 93 on XLII90s and I have'nt looked back since.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

about the same as matt...

first dead tape in 94...

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

cleech74

A friend at school (Salisbury St.U) gave me a copy of Amy's Pharm in the Fall of 1993.

It was so on then, and I didn't even know it. :wink:
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Caravan2001

I got my first tape (bootleg type), GD 4/28/71, back in '82....I still have it.  It's on a memorex.  Back then XLII's were called UD-XL-IIC's....I still have a bunch of those....It's amazing how good an old tape that has been through the ringer still sounds....most of my analog stuff is either in the attic or at Marmar's, but you never get rid of collecting fever.  And I've never had it too organized.....my vinyl is alphabetical, but my tapes are in major disarray....in a lot of ways, you're lucky you missed the analog days, cause trading was so slow.....but cassettes rock

metalzone58

In '92 my moms boyfriend let me borrow a good deal of cassettes (about 100) and then they stopped seeing each other and I still have all of them!!!!!!!!!!

Mingus

In '92 got my first XLIIs.  Still have them.

5/8/77 -  :syf:

5/12/92 -  :phish:
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 24, 2007, 10:34:02 PM
...ian anderson couldnt sing worth a damn and was wearing purple spandex pants with a bulge i could see from 20 rows back...

actually, now that i think of it, this might have been the best concert ever

thechad

In '91 I was on a bus on my way to all-state try outs for the jazz band and a friend gave me a copy of 3/17/91 because it had the The Landlady on it and it was similar to something that we were playing our schools jazz band.  I still have most of my tapes (the ones that weren't stolen) in my basement in a rack that my grandfather built for me. I no longer have a tape deck to listen to them, so I have gotten them all again digitally.   Marmar is absolutely correct, it never ends and I love that it won't.  And yes, I passed my audition.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

August

I got my first GD tapes back in '91 and first Phish tapes the following year.
I collected and traded tapes up until the first hiatus.
My first shows on CD were 10-07-2000 and 09-15-2000.
Trading now is so diluted. I used to love getting a set on tape and spinning it over and over and over...
You knew that shit inside-out.
Now, most shows get listened to once.
a

rowjimmy

Quote from: August on October 19, 2007, 07:39:32 AM
I got my first GD tapes back in '91 and first Phish tapes the following year.
I collected and traded tapes up until the first hiatus.
My first shows on CD were 10-07-2000 and 09-15-2000.
Trading now is so diluted. I used to love getting a set on tape and spinning it over and over and over...
You knew that shit inside-out.
Now, most shows get listened to once.
a

I was a year ahead of Aug on GD but a year behind in Phish. I then collected in ever growing urgency until I got with some proper internet and, in 98, I got with etree. FTP servers and shn was the thing and I was downloading like crazy. Then came Furthur, then came BT and flac.

Nowadays, I might pull one show week and, of those, I might keep 20%. If I listen to it a bunch from my hdd, I'll archive it for my future media server. Otherwise, meh.

sls.stormyrider

1st GD tape 12/31/78 - got it in 79
Didn't do to much tape trading cause most of my friends weren't into it but picked up a few along the way.
Once I got a PC at home (fall 03) started d/l shows from nugs.net. Things accelerated in 04 when I discovered bt, etc.
now - trying to be more selective, but...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

First show I downloaded was 11/6/98 sometime in December of 98!