News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Capitalism: A Love Story' - In Theatres October 2nd

Started by mbw, August 21, 2009, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

'Moving Beyond Words'
"... a brilliant moment of cinema ..."
– Manohla Dargis, New York Times

'Classic'
"... it is heartening to have a filmmaker take on a subject this all-encompassing and almost taboo."
– Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

http://www.youtube.com/v/GDrFZktpv9k&hl=en&fs=1&"%20type=

mbw

sophist

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 23, 2009, 08:07:21 PM
'Moving Beyond Words'
"... a brilliant moment of cinema ..."
– Manohla Dargis, New York Times

'Classic'
"... it is heartening to have a filmmaker take on a subject this all-encompassing and almost taboo."
– Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

http://www.youtube.com/v/GDrFZktpv9k&hl=en&fs=1&"%20type=
I somehow missed this video when you posted it.  Thanks for posting it. 
I did laugh at this exchange:

interviewer: So you are a radical?
Micheal: I'm radically in love with this country

Come on now, that's a politicians answer if I have ever heard one.  That being said, I really enjoyed the last part of the interview where he makes the point about religion being at odds with capitalism.  I think he is really on point here.  I would suggest to those of you that like historic works to seek out John Locke's Two Treaties of Government.  In it, Locke begins the argument for capitalism by separating humans from god, and thus removing god from man's choice of morality.  It is fitting that this argument is rarely discussed as so many of the right wing nuts seem to be ignorant of how capitalism was born.   

I'm still going to check out his film though, should be entertaining. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Kid in the Corner

Quote from: Hicks on August 28, 2009, 03:45:22 PM
If you are watching movies to become informed about politics then I'd say that's the real problem.  You aren't going to really get enough information from a documentary to get a true grasp of most issues. 

Kid in the Corner

i LOVE how Michael Moore is using the capitalist system to sell his anti-capitalist movie.  oh yeah, and how he used the capitalist system to raise money to make his anti-capitalist movie.

Kid in the Corner

Quote from: CNSNews.com
Millionaire Filmmaker Michael Moore: 'Capitalism Did Nothing For Me''

Thursday, October 01, 2009
By Nicholas Ballasy, Video Reporter
Documentary film director Michael Moore, who has become a millionaire thanks to the profits from his movies, told CNSNews.com that "capitalism did nothing" for him. 

CNSNews.com spoke with Moore on the red carpet at the Uptown Theatre in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday night before the premiere of his upcoming documentary, "Capitalism: A Love Story."

CNSNews.com asked: "Critics may say, when they see this movie, Michael Moore has amassed a fortune of over $50 million, some have said and –"

Moore said:  "Really? Are you kidding me? Seriously? Wow. Where did it go?"

CNSNews.com then asked Moore: "Critics would say he's [Moore] been very successful under a capitalist system. How would you justify making a movie where you paint capitalism as evil?"

Moore said: "Well, capitalism did nothing for me, starting with my first film."

"You know, I had to pretty much beg, borrow and steal," he said. "The system is not set up to help somebody from the working class make a movie like this and get the truth out there."

"In fact, in Fahrenheit 9/11 if you remember, capitalism, the Disney Corporation, tried to kill that film--tried to make it so that people couldn't see it," said Moore. "My book Stupid White Men--Harper Collins tried to kill that book so that people couldn't see it. It's only because I put the light of day on it and told people what was going on did people get the chance to see these things."

According to Fortune Magazine, Moore's films have grossed over $300 million worldwide. His highest grossing film was "Fahrenheit 9/11," which critiques the Bush administration's handling of the war in Iraq and earned over $200 million worldwide.

Moore reportedly was paid $21 million by Disney for producing, directing and creating the film.

Moore also earned 50 percent of the profits of his 2007 film "Sicko," totaling $25 million plus DVD sales, according to Vanity Fair.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Moore would receive all of the profits made from DVD sales of "Sicko," sales of which have been estimated at over $17 million.

"Look, you know, I mean, I make documentary films," said Moore. "So, clearly, I'm not loaded in the way you described. But I do well, obviously because my films do well."

"So, that means I have an extra responsibility to make sure I spend my time trying to make things better for the people that don't have what I have, right? I mean, everybody should do that," he said.

Moore's newest film, "Capitalism: A Love Story" opens in theaters October 2.

sophist

edit to add:  and I hate to do this because I don't like Moore.  But how do you know he kept the money?  It just says the film earned, paid, totaling, and over.  That means not all of that money went to Moore.  His crew for each film is seeing a slice of those figures.  I wouldn't be surprised either if Moore gave big chunks of it to political organizations. 

I'm not saying Moore is poor by any means, but I highly doubt he took every penny from those films.  Show me what Moore exactly kept and I'll be convinced of the Hypocrite argument.   

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

guyforget

Quote from: Kid in the Corner on October 01, 2009, 08:03:46 AM
i LOVE how Michael Moore is using the capitalist system to sell his anti-capitalist movie.  oh yeah, and how he used the capitalist system to raise money to make his anti-capitalist movie.

I dont particularly care, but I just wonder, how would you suggest that he go about making and selling his movie in America?  Just because he's against capitalism doesnt mean that he can somehow sell or raise money for his movie using some other means, he's in America, after all.  Just because he operates under the system doesnt mean that he has to necessarily support it, he has no choice.  Plenty of people operate daily under circumstances with which theyre unhappy, but not so many dedicate their life's work to making other people aware of what they disagree with.  Hell, most of the sheep in America arent even aware of how theyre being fucked over every day. 
-AD_

Hicks

Michael Moore has gone on record many many times saying that he was opposed to the Bush tax cuts for people in his tax bracket.

Seems like a rather un-capitalist stance to to me.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

"CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY" FREE SCREENINGS:
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 7:00 p.m.
Cinemark Orleans
4600 W Tropicana Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89103

Phoenix, Arizona
Thursday, Oct.1st, 7:00 p.m.
Harkins Christown
1620 W Monte Bello
Phoenix, AZ 85015

Fresno, California
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 7:30 p.m.
Edwards Stadium
250 Paseo Del Centro
Fresno, CA 93720

Saginaw, Michigan
Goodrich Saginaw 8 Theater
3250 Kabobel Dr.
Saginaw, MI 48604

Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina
Regal North Hills Stadium 14
4150 Main at North Hills St.
Raleigh, NC 27609

Tampa / St. Petersburg, Florida
Muvico Starlight
1800 Highwood Preserve Parkway
Tampa, FL 33647

Elkhart, Indiana
Carmike Encore Park 14
2701 Cassopolis Street
Elkhart, IN 46514

Baltimore, Maryland
Thursday, October 1st, 7:30 p.m.
The Charles Theatre
1711 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Cleveland, Ohio Thursday, Oct. 1st, 7:30 p.m.
AMC Westwood Town Center
21653 Center Ridge Road
Rocky River, OH 44116

Peoria, Illinois
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 7:00PM
Willow Knolls 14 Theatre
4100 W Willow Knolls Drive
Peoria, IL 61615

"CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY" BENEFIT SCREENINGS:
Miami, Florida
Sunrise Intracoastal
3701 NE 163rd Street
North Miami Beach, FL 33160
Benefiting: Take Back the Land

Madison, Wisconsin
Thursday, October 1st, 7:00 p.m.
Sundance Cinemas 608
430 N. Midvale Blvd.
Madison, WI 53705
Benefiting: Madison Association of Worker Cooperatives / Union Cab / Isthmus Engineering

San Francisco, California
Embarcadero Center Cinema
One Embarcadero Center, Promenade
San Francisco, CA 94111
Benefiting: US Federation of Worker Cooperatives

Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 8:00 p.m.
Kerasotes City North
2600 N. Western Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647
Benefiting: United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America

Grass Valley, California
Del Oro Theatre
165 Mill Street
Grass Valley, CA 95945
Benefiting: KVMR-FM

Boulder, Colo. (past screening)
Tuesday, Sept. 29th, 8:00 p.m.
Boulder Theater
2032 14th Street.
Boulder, CO 80302
Benefiting: Present Tense Films
-AD_

guyforget

Quote from: Hicks on October 01, 2009, 11:03:57 AM
Michael Moore has gone on record many many times saying that he was opposed to the Bush tax cuts for people in his tax bracket.

Some would say that its the ultimate subversion to use the system to denounce the system.

-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: guyforget on October 01, 2009, 11:34:39 AM

Some would say that its the ultimate subversion to use the system to denounce the system.

Yup, that's what he does, and he's quite good at it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Actually it is a capitalist stance, it's just a different application of capitalism than you expected.

rowjimmy

Quoting CNS news (who joins with Malkin in made up smearing according to Media Matters) is not going to get me to waste any time reading your post.

nab

I find Moore's films to be interesting in the same way I find Limbaugh to be interesting; its always fun to watch someone preach to the choir.