News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

.WAV Tag Editor.

Started by nab, February 01, 2008, 09:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

My mp3 player plays the .wav extension as its only lossless codec.  My problem is that I haven't found a tag editor that deals with wav files in batches.  The best I've been able to do is use the tag editor inside WMP.  This is a slow and cumbersome process because it only allows you to edit one file at a time.  That means I have to type out the artist and album information for each track.  Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't listen to so many shows whose tags are a bit longer than your average album title.  Anyone have any suggestions?   

khanti

I always thought .WAV files didn't support tags in much the same way that SHN's don't.

I suppose I could be wrong, but the tag editor's I use don't work with either format.
QuoteThose Smallmouth are great on a flyrod. They're not all finicky like Trout. Trout are English and Bass are Polish.
-Greg Brown "Eugene"

jephrey

Well, within a program I think wavs can have tags...  You can definitely tag wavs and aiffs in iTunes, but I don't know if it retains it for other programs.  Maybe that's been figured out and it all works.  I was having the same problem with apple lossless files, but found a great command line editor and wrote a UI so I could just drop a Phish fileset in with the text file formatted properly and it'll tag everything.  With or without the UI, I'm sure there are some batch editors out there even if they may be command line.

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nab

I was starting to come to the same conclusion about wav files not supporting tags.

kellerb

Quote from: jephrey on February 01, 2008, 09:32:11 PM
Well, within a program I think wavs can have tags...  You can definitely tag wavs and aiffs in iTunes, but I don't know if it retains it for other programs.  Maybe that's been figured out and it all works.  I was having the same problem with apple lossless files, but found a great command line editor and wrote a UI so I could just drop a Phish fileset in with the text file formatted properly and it'll tag everything.  With or without the UI, I'm sure there are some batch editors out there even if they may be command line.

If you can write a ui and/or script where you can drop a bunch of wavs/flacs/shns/mp3s/ and a properly formatted text file in, and it tags all the files, I think many of us would be interested in that.

nab

Quote from: kellerb on February 02, 2008, 12:35:59 AM
Quote from: jephrey on February 01, 2008, 09:32:11 PM

If you can write a ui and/or script where you can drop a bunch of wavs/flacs/shns/mp3s/ and a properly formatted text file in, and it tags all the files, I think many of us would be interested in that.

Truth.

mattstick

You can definitely add subcode data to WAV files, it's just a matter of different applications reading that information the same way.

When I was producing sample libraries our WAV files were encoded with key and tempo information, for use in ProTools/Cubase/ACID and others.

jephrey

Well, I had told a few others that I could do that, but I use a mac utility called atomic parsley that works with. m4a and .m4v files.  I wrote an app that you drop the .m4a fileset on an it'll do these things.  At this point, I just don't have the motivation to customize it for each person's tagging techniques.  I talked to jedi briefly about doing it, but I lost interest because there'd be a back and forth on how things would work and it'd be different for every person who uses the thing...  If our community could come up with a standardized tagging method, I could write it for that, but it'd still be only mac, and only work with .m4a/.m4v files.  If I could find a different command line utility, I could use that, but that'd probably also be mac only.  My advice...  You know it.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nab

Quote from: jephrey on February 02, 2008, 11:28:28 PM
  My advice...  You know it.

Somehow when I started this thread I knew it would come to that sooner or later. :wink:

Seriously though, I hear you.  Trying to get some kind of consensus on tagging would be a major pain.

kellerb

Quote from: nab on February 03, 2008, 12:17:41 AM
Quote from: jephrey on February 02, 2008, 11:28:28 PM
  My advice...  You know it.

Somehow when I started this thread I knew it would come to that sooner or later. :wink:

Seriously though, I hear you.  Trying to get some kind of consensus on tagging would be a major pain.

I think I've perused at least one thread over at etree that would lead me to the same conclusion.  Plus, I don't have a mac.