News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Cutting the Cable... Advice sought on getting rid of Cable TV

Started by twatts, May 06, 2013, 12:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: antelope19 on May 06, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on May 06, 2013, 09:48:42 PM
Having all those channels is the worst.

I sit and watch pure garbage just because I can.

:|

Fypfm

So true, but then again, I use TV as a complete escape and don't measure my value necessarily on quality.  So watching crap like Duck Dynasty works for me, and by the way is quite hysterical.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

rowjimmy

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on May 13, 2013, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: antelope19 on May 06, 2013, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on May 06, 2013, 09:48:42 PM
Having all those channels is the worst.

I sit and watch pure garbage just because I can.

:|

Fypfm

So true, but then again, I use TV as a complete escape and don't measure my value necessarily on quality.  So watching crap like Duck Dynasty works for me, and by the way is quite hysterical.

I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

justjezmund

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

You don't even need to be talking about TV when saying this.   :clap:

sig'd
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM

McGrupp

I've been without cable for almost 3 years and cutting it was possibly the best thing I've ever done.

"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye." - Bill Hicks

Like RJ said, with all those stupid channels, I'd sit and watch complete crap for hours. I still waste a lot of time, but at least I'm not watching cable.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

twatts

Yeah, looks like we're going to try to switch over this weekend, at least just use the Roku...  We borrowed one from my cousin to get a feel...  We'll see how it goes...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

DoW

I have my mind set on doing this.  I am waiting for Dexter to finish and then I will cut ties with cable.
I can get aereo in my area, I already order mlb.tv anyway, I get access to Amazon Prime streaming.  I think you can get the NFL package with an online package.  with espn3 for college basketball, I think I have everything there that I watch anyway.
I have my laptop connected to my stereo to access all my audio from hard drives and would just hook up a monitor (how I watch baseball already).
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mistercharlie

So we haven't cut the cable completely yet, but we did downgrade our package from Premium to Economy. And the only change I've noticed is we don't have On Demand and we don't have TBS (the only one of the lost channels that we actually watched.). Our bill dropped from $115 a month to $45 a month. I kinda feel like we've just been giving the cable company $70 a month for nothing.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

twatts

Just figured out that Time Warner has a Roku channel, so we can watch our normal cable via the Roku...  At least I can quit renting the Cable Box...  Still have to subscribe to the service...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

Marmar

Roku.....best TV device I've tried yet.....

FU time warner.....FU!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

gah

Quote from: McGrupp on June 07, 2013, 10:22:08 AM
I've been without cable for almost 3 years and cutting it was possibly the best thing I've ever done.

"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye." - Bill Hicks

Like RJ said, with all those stupid channels, I'd sit and watch complete crap for hours. I still waste a lot of time, but at least I'm not watching cable.

I don't even have a tv anymore. As this chick said the other day, oh you're one of those guys! Yes, yes I am.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

bass-freq

At our house we've been without cable for almost 3 years now.  We have a 2010 mac mini with a wireless keyboard and mouse.  When I first started I looked high and low for a setup that was "wife friendly" (aka more like a regular TV experience) and could not quite get there at that time.  I use Plex for a media server of my movie/TV collection and while I think Plex can now support much closer to a regular TV experience (like integrated Netflix/Hulu etc.), my wife has since learned to be comfortable with using just using a browser to get to all that stuff.

That said, some of the recent updates to Plex look really good and I'd like to revisit trying to get a nicer experience.
"You ever notice how weird they are? You know ... buildings?"

bass-freq

Also forgot to mention, we used to have that elgato setup with the mini when we lived in Chicago.  Found a plugin that will automatically cut out commercials and amassed a giant collection of the Simpsons (among other things) until we moved out to the sticks.

mbw

Quote from: bass-freq on July 10, 2013, 07:02:17 PM
Also forgot to mention, we used to have that elgato setup with the mini when we lived in Chicago.  Found a plugin that will automatically cut out commercials and amassed a giant collection of the Simpsons (among other things) until we moved out to the sticks.

which area of the sticks are you in?

bass-freq

Quote from: mbw on July 10, 2013, 07:09:03 PM
Quote from: bass-freq on July 10, 2013, 07:02:17 PM

which area of the sticks are you in?

Not the Chicago sticks.  New Mexico, 'bout 20 miles outside Santa Fe.  Suffice it to say I am not catching much Phish out here.

twatts

So we didn't exactly cut the cable...

We ended up keeping TWC for TV, except we went with their "standard" package instead of their "digital" package" and reduced our bill significantly.  They also increased our bandwidth a shit-ton (to what it should be normally) and let us keep the phone (mom loves that)... 

But we also have the Roku, and the kids love the free stuff on Amazon and Netflix...

So we ended up saving some money, and got about the same service we had before.  I do miss having a few channels (History 2, ESPNU, Hub) but I can live without them...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will