News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

So I bought a voopoo mojo mod today and 6% juice that is flavored like a camel light.  Here we go y'all.   Let's kick this smelly habit.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on September 09, 2018, 05:40:12 PM
So I bought a voopoo mojo mod today and 6% juice that is flavored like a camel light.  Here we go y'all.   Let's kick this smelly habit.

Nice dude. just make a schedule on cutting the %'s down over a few weeks to months...and you'll be off the nicotine in no time...

Day 16 for me. And feeling pretty good. Occasional cravings, but I slow down, focus on my breathing. It passes. Having a daily meditation practice helps keep you mindful when those cravings occur. Just maybe something to consider adding in as you slowly ween down the nicotine levels.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Bobafett

Ok.  I've been using 9mg juice called cannoli be one and it tastes delicious.  I was smoking 10 cigs a day.  I went to 8 last week, 6 this week.  Yesterday I had one after our lunch rush and it actually tasted bad to me.   That's a first in a long time.

But I've been using the vape and not inhaling, just holding it in my mouth.  It's really hard to find trustworthy info on the webs, so do you inhale it?  Doesn't the nicotine get in the blood that way too?   It's kinda harsh to inhale this stuff and makes me cough or makes my throat sore.   Any advice?
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Thrillhouse

Currently on 2 packs of Reds a day. Really looking forward to the end of the month when I finish this course and don't need to lean on this crutch nearly as much...Its a start but at 31 I think I might finally be ready to try and not die from lung cancer.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

pcr3

Quote from: KingOfPrussia2155 on September 26, 2018, 10:07:16 AM
Currently on 2 packs of Reds a day. Really looking forward to the end of the month when I finish this course and don't need to lean on this crutch nearly as much...Its a start but at 31 I think I might finally be ready to try and not die from lung cancer.

It's never too soon to start.

I smoked my last one out of my own pack on 7/8.  Have used a juul primarily since then (I've bummed a couple of cigs here and there), though I think I'd like to buy a real vape and do the taper.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on September 25, 2018, 10:59:26 PM
Ok.  I've been using 9mg juice called cannoli be one and it tastes delicious.  I was smoking 10 cigs a day.  I went to 8 last week, 6 this week.  Yesterday I had one after our lunch rush and it actually tasted bad to me.   That's a first in a long time.

But I've been using the vape and not inhaling, just holding it in my mouth.  It's really hard to find trustworthy info on the webs, so do you inhale it?  Doesn't the nicotine get in the blood that way too?   It's kinda harsh to inhale this stuff and makes me cough or makes my throat sore.   Any advice?

Def inhale, but yeah I guess if you just held it in your mouth like smoking a cigar you'd still be getting nicotine that way too.

If it's harsh to inhale though, a few different things. Checking back you got this about 2 weeks ago, you want to replace the coils cartridge every 2-3 weeks so that probably needs replacing. Secondly, in terms of those coil replacements, they are super easy to swap out. I don't know what kind you got with the starter kit, which is what I'm assuming you got with the voopoo mojo mod, (like an all in one thing with the mod, tank, and replacement coils)... but after experimenting with a few different coil replacement types, I found the single fat coil replacements to give the smoothest hit and the biggest clouds (just an added bonus which I didn't give a shit about at first, but then found to be kind of entertaining, like a thing to do to pass the time).

Oh, and the other thing is, I found certain juices hit a lot harsher than others, so maybe you need to try mixing it up with some other flavors. I had this cinnamon flavor one that I thought since cinnamon helps reduce cravings would be helpful, but really that was just super harsh and I didn't enjoy it at all. Switched over to milder and milder flavors as well and that reduced the mental association with nicotine too (like this berry flavor mix, arctic blast, earl grey tea).

Anyhow, hope that helps.

gah

Quote from: pcr3 on September 26, 2018, 10:13:36 AM

I smoked my last one out of my own pack on 7/8.  Have used a juul primarily since then (I've bummed a couple of cigs here and there), though I think I'd like to buy a real vape and do the taper.

Agreed. Never too late to start.

As for the juul yes man, get off that! That shit has 59mg/ml of nicotine, which is an absurdly high amount. if you check the charts below, the highest level you can get with vape juices is 36mg/ml! That just tells you how insanely high that is. Prior to switching to the vape I was using the Vuse Ciro, and that also had 48 mg/ml, also ridiculously high. Seems like the prepacked things like that, while convenient, have waaaaay higher levels of nicotine and secondly, don't come in varying nicotine levels so once you're on them its hard to quit or cut back.

So, my rec, the quicker you switch to a vape, even if you start at the highest vape juice level (36mg/ml), you'll be better off.

ETA: day 31 nicotine free for me!!!

Bobafett

w00t!  Congrats!   

So I think I figured out the inhaling thing.   I changed the ?atomizer? Coil?  Out last night and read up on mtl vs dL inhaling.  Started direct lung method and definitely was not getting the harshness and got some real clouds.  I think this is going to be the game changer.

I do think the flavors can help me get over the fact that I like the way a cigarette tastes.   If I can begin to dislike it and hate the way it smells then I will be on my way.

I had no idea how potent those ecigs were.  I had used the blu brand before to little enjoyment.

Thanks you for your support and advice.

Buffalo Budd

I was gonna come in to mention that bobafett.
There's also straight to lung vs. mouth to lung. I have friends who smoke both but if you were a smoker who drew a haul into your mouth and then suck it into your lungs, you're gonna want the mouth to lung.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

pcr3

Quote from: gah on September 26, 2018, 02:05:31 PM

As for the juul yes man, get off that! That shit has 59mg/ml of nicotine, which is an absurdly high amount. if you check the charts below, the highest level you can get with vape juices is 36mg/ml! That just tells you how insanely high that is. Prior to switching to the vape I was using the Vuse Ciro, and that also had 48 mg/ml, also ridiculously high. Seems like the prepacked things like that, while convenient, have waaaaay higher levels of nicotine and secondly, don't come in varying nicotine levels so once you're on them its hard to quit or cut back.

So, my rec, the quicker you switch to a vape, even if you start at the highest vape juice level (36mg/ml), you'll be better off.

Thanks for the advice. I picked up a Breeze 2 by Aspire today, at the recommendation of the local vape merchant, and some mint "juice". Good stuff, and I will now be able to taper off over the next month or three.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

ph92

I do agree about the nicotine levels.  I only smoke the little pod style vapes anymore. I just hate the big mod+tank setups, they're just too much hassle.
But you get a TON less vapor from these pod style vapes so the nicotine amount doesn't quite translate the same.  These little guys have helped me get down to about 5-6 cigs a day. I used to be at a pack and a half a day.

On the topic of high nicotine, though, I have started getting nic-salts with less nicotine in them. This is helping. But I find myself only hitting it 2-3 times every hour, give or take. Even with the lower amounts.

Quote from: pcr3 on September 26, 2018, 10:43:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I picked up a Breeze 2 by Aspire today, at the recommendation of the local vape merchant, and some mint "juice". Good stuff, and I will now be able to taper off over the next month or three.
Personally I use a Sourin Air, I love it. I had the Breeze (not the 2) and the shit failed on me in a week haha, I've heard the 2 is better, though.

Quote from: Bobafett on September 25, 2018, 10:59:26 PM

But I've been using the vape and not inhaling, just holding it in my mouth.  It's really hard to find trustworthy info on the webs, so do you inhale it?  Doesn't the nicotine get in the blood that way too?  It's kinda harsh to inhale this stuff and makes me cough or makes my throat sore.   Any advice?
That was my experience when I first started, too. It just takes a little while to get used to it. But if your coil was burned, then that will definitely add to the problem. Sometimes when I'm lazy, that how I know to swap my coil :hereitisyousentimentalbastard shit isn't cheap!

There's some science behind it, though. Basically when you smoke a cig, the smoke triggers your salivary glands to produce saliva to protect your throat from being burned. But since vapor is much cooler, the same reaction does not occur when vaping. So when you first start out your throat just get dried out by the vapor.  But I did find that going between smoking heavy and vaping always brings back the cough/dry throat.

Some other things to consider in addition to what GAH said, flavors can change the throat hit. More importantly the ratio of propylene glycol (PG) to vegetable glycerine (VG) is what brings on the "throat hit". Also the nicotine content, more nicotine=more throat hit.
VG makes the juice thinner, less vapor, more throat hit. I hate VG heavy juice.
PG makes the juice thicker, more vapor, way smoother hit, less dry throat. I always used to try juices with 70% PG or more. This will really help. But keep in mind it will burn your coils out faster usually.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on September 26, 2018, 07:24:33 PM
w00t!  Congrats!   

So I think I figured out the inhaling thing.   I changed the ?atomizer? Coil?  Out last night and read up on mtl vs dL inhaling.  Started direct lung method and definitely was not getting the harshness and got some real clouds.  I think this is going to be the game changer.

I do think the flavors can help me get over the fact that I like the way a cigarette tastes.   If I can begin to dislike it and hate the way it smells then I will be on my way.

I had no idea how potent those ecigs were.  I had used the blu brand before to little enjoyment.

Thanks you for your support and advice.

Yes man! You're making it happen. It's a slow process but you're doing it. Solid work.

Quote from: pcr3 on September 26, 2018, 10:43:41 PM

Yeah, dont; rush it. It took me probably three months, but you do have to have a plan and try and stick with it...cause it's really easy to just slow down and be like, well, I'm down to tthe 3mg/ml juice...I can just stay here...I dont' want to really quit altogether, do I? My mind started messing with me at the end there. Also realize, every time you drop down you're gonna still go thru a few days of being a little on edge, and you might find yourself vaping more, maybe to get more nicotine, just cause it's less juice doesn't mean you can't just puff like twice as much to get the same amount of nicotine into your body, but that tapers and normalizes again after a few days...but I found that happened EVERY time i dropped levels...I'd be easily irritated for a couple days and be puffing more, and then it'd be fine...until the next drop.

But it gets easier. No doubt.

My mind is still fucking with me though, cause it's like, oh now I know how to quit whenever I want, so I could go buy a pack right now and be ok...but then I remember what a bitch those first 3 days were especially and that first couple weeks....and I have zero desire to go through that again. So just trying to keep busy, and when a thought comes, i just try and observe it and watch it pass by. Separate myself from my thoughts, become the sky, and allow my thoughts to be clouds, and just watch them pass. You really gotta zen out with this.

gah

Hit 8 weeks yesterday. The three night run this weekend was kinda tough, and probably the first time in about a month that I considered or even had the thought of smoking. But I made it through, and am at 57 days nicotine free. Just checking in and seeing how everyone else is doing?

emay