News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleech74

Quote from: birdman on August 14, 2011, 12:57:20 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on August 14, 2011, 11:57:04 AM
Killer show.
This Reba is one of my Top 5 versions, as well as the Disease.
The band killed it for all of those that didn't skip out before heading to The Ball with massive versions of Jim, Tweezer and YEM.
I tagged up a fileset if you wanna give this one a listen.

Enjoy.
a

You could have waited a few weeks to get your license.
Just saying.

I drove the whole night from Deer Creek to Hershey, just to get to our campground (Hershey High Meadows), a few hours before the show.  We walked to and from the venue.  So glad I caught this show, it's one of my favourites!  Gonna go listen to it now. :-)
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Buffalo Budd

Just got this email when I got to work this morning.

Hey Phishy69,

According to what you entered at Phish.net, today is the 14th anniversary of your first Phish show! To help you reminisce about the 14 long years since walking into Loring Commerce Center at Loring Air Force Base in 1997, we invite you to visit http://phi.sh/970816 for the setlist and download links.

What an incredible weekend that was and got me completely hooked on these guys.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Check the comment, "Not as good as that Chicago song by UM"  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

It was twenty years ago today...

The HORDE tour presented by Canada Dry & Maxell.

the Line-Up:

Col. Bruce Hampton (ret.) and the Aquarium Rescue Unit ->
Widespread Panic
Spin Doctors
Phish
Blues Traveler

It was not my first rock show (Rush in 1991)... but it was my first "jamband" show. Of course, nobody used the term "jamband" back then.

I was a huge Blues Traveler fan. I remember when their second album was released ("Travelers and Thieves") I went to Record Town at the Short Hills Mall and bought it that very day. Prominently displayed next to it was "A Picture of Nectar" which I did not buy on that day... soon...

Of course, Spin Doctors were just starting to blow up at this time, too. They had a single (Two Princes) climbing the charts... but in Jersey, we were already very familiar with those guys. We knew they were buddies with Blues Traveler, but I never really thought they were as good. For the record, I still love John Popper. Guy has tremendous talent as a song writer, singer, harp player, guitarist, and is a great guy ta-boot.

So, we head down to Garden State Arts Center on this fateful day 20 years ago... ARU is on stage first. I'm admittedly a little lost... trying to get my bearings around this hippie crowd. People are smoking weed... men are hugging other men... cute girls in flowing dresses are already spinning in circles...

Anyway, ARU is playing and slowly, one by one, these other musicians are joining them onstage. Then slowly, one by one, the members of ARU are leaving the stage. Before I know it, we are hearing Widespread Panic. Now, people on this board know I'm not the biggest WSP fan, but I gotta admit, this transition was cool. It really set the stage for the rest of the day. This was no normal rock and roll show.

Once WSP finishes their set, there is a brief break in the music. I say brief because it was. This HORDE tour had a huge rotating stage. So, while WSP was playing, the roadies were setting up for Spin Dr.s behind them. So, it took about 10 minutes to rotate the stage and they were ready to go!

The Spin Doctors set was cool. I remember it really well. Their front man is a freak and chicks in the crowd were loving it. I remember looking around at the really hippie-looking folks in the crowd and seeing a lot of standing around with hands in pockets just sort of grooving in one spot.

Next up was Phish. I had heard some Phish tapes at a few basement parties over the previous few years, but I never really listened too closely. I was definitely unfamiliar and unprepared for this. I will say, the energy in the crowd went up a few notches once Phish hit the stage. Those hippie dudes no longer had their hands in their pockets - they were dancing.

the setlist:

Set 1: The Landlady, Runaway Jim, Foam, Sparkle, Stash, The Squirming Coil, Cavern > Vacuum Solo > Cavern, You Enjoy Myself, Suzy Greenberg

*Several "official" H.O.R.D.E. dancers took the stage during The Landlady to dance with Trey and Mike. During the tramps segment of YEM, an extra tramp and microphone were brought out for John Popper. On his first jump, though, Popper jumped right through the trampoline. Embarrassed, he left the stage.

What I remember:

Seeing Trey and Mike looking like they were headbanging from the lawn. I mean, you'd have thought they were playing "Master of Puppets" by looking at them, but the music pouring out was Latin jazz.

I also remember my attitude towards front-man antics changed a lot that day once I saw a band where all 4 guys were serious musicians. It just made Chris Barron look like an idiot by comparison. It's funny, because I sing and I love to sing... and I had a few opportunities to sing with bands both in high school and my freshman year of college - but by the time I was in college I really felt like an idiot out front singing... I'm definitely not a "musician" so why would I be in a band.

I remember Runaway Jim... I remember Stash just because I loved the way it sounded from the very beginning. It was my first favorite Phish song.

I remember Cavern and the vacuum solo. I remember the trampolines and the whole John Popper prank. I was pretty geeked out to think that Popper was going to jam with Phish and a little bummed when he didn't, but the prank was hilarious.

I remember the vocal jam out of YEM and thinking "this must be for the people on acid... I bet this sounds great on acid."

I sort of remember Suzy... then it was over.

By the time Blues Traveler hit the stage, the sun had set and the crowd energy had come down quite a bit. I enjoyed their set, which included Warren Haynes (then of the Allman Brothers) sitting in on Mountain Cry. But it was a let-down after Phish. Needless to say, I've seen Blues Traveler a couple dozen times since and enjoyed every show, but never have been blown away. I still love John Popper and always will.

Since that day I have seen Phish a total of 120 times including this past Sunday in Saratoga Springs, NY. I celebrated my 20 year Phishiversary on Sunday and the boys made it special for me. I caught my first La Grange. They encored with a monster YEM. I spent the weekend with Wendel and his brother (and a bunch of other great folks). Over half of my 120 shows (66 to be exact) I have seen with Wendel. It's just what we do whenever we can. I wouldn't have it any other way... Can't wait to do it again.

/sweet blog.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

thanks for sharing mang, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!
Bring in the dude!

antelope19

Men are hugging other men...

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Sorry, but that cracked me up. The whole mental image of you witnessing all of this is hilarious.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

phil

Buncha geezers up in this piece, jeez :roll:  :wink:

Thanks for sharing, PG. Great read.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: phil on July 11, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Buncha geezers up in this piece, jeez :roll:  :wink:

it does make me feel old. I can't lie.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

super fun times just 12 years ago today...

Tuesday, 07/11/2000
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Set 1: Ya Mar, The Moma Dance, Uncle Pen, Drowned, Chalk Dust Torture Reprise > Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom > Cavern

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Down with Disease -> Moby Dick > Down with Disease > Runaway Jim -> Moby Dick, Back on the Train -> Moby Dick > Back on the Train, Harry Hood[1] > Moby Dick, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up > Moby Dick[2] > Hold Your Head Up, Character Zero

Encore: First Tube > Moby Dick > Chalk Dust Torture Reprise

[1] Moby Dick tease.
[2] Trey on drums and Fishman on vacuum.

Notes: In keeping with the theme of the second set, Hood included a Moby Dick tease. Trey introduced Fishman as "Russell Crowe" during Terrapin. The Moby Dick inside of the HYHU jam featured Trey on drums and Fishman on vacuum. The Chalk Dust Reprise was akin to the version last played on December 10, 1994 (391 shows), with the band singing the words "Chalk Dust Torture" over varied music. At the end of the encore, Trey joked that, if anyone missed anything, they should read the book or see the movie. Prior to this show, Moby Dick had not been played since November 29, 1997 (172 shows).