News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

from CNN, at the UN today

QuoteThere was a moment of levity at the top of President Donald Trump's United Nations speech, when some in the crowd chuckled as Trump touted his administration's successes.

Trump began his address at the United Nations this morning by boasting, "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country."

There was some muted laughter
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Thrillhouse

Quote from: slslbs on September 25, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

QuoteThere was a moment of levity at the top of President Donald Trump's United Nations speech, when some in the crowd chuckled as Trump touted his administration's successes.

Trump began his address at the United Nations this morning by boasting, "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country."

I watched that happen live....pretty sad stuff. Literally the world laughing at America.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

gah

Quote from: KingOfPrussia2155 on September 25, 2018, 01:07:05 PM
Quote from: slslbs on September 25, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

I watched that happen live....pretty sad stuff. Literally the world laughing at America.

that's awesome.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

if it wasn't so sad.  :shakehead:

eta: just watched the clip...what a fucking douche bag.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

Not sure what to think about the last couple of paragraphs in this Atlantic piece by Thomas Wright... "yes it's bad now but it's not irreversible" is an odd take.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/09/trump-united-nations-bolton-foreign-policy-iran-north-korea-russia/571339/

QuoteThe persistent and existential risk of Trump's presidency is that he will do things that cannot be reversed, such as starting and losing a war. In the end, what Trump and Bolton do on sovereignty will be swept away by future political winds of change. They will inflict great short-term harm, but it is almost all reversible. Their political opponents, in the United States and overseas, may well decide to fight them on this so they are distracted from other matters.

An external crisis could still occur. Trump could still miscalculate. He could take a big risk on a whim. His daily incompetence and casual cruelty will leave behind a trail of damage that will take a long time to repair. But Trump's lack of discipline and failure to come up with a second act are stronger constraints on him than the remaining adults in the room. We still do not know how it ends, but there is a chance, if we are lucky, that the conclusion of our novel experience will be a whimper instead of a bang.

sunrisevt

"Bad but not irreversible" seems (hopefully) accurate as far as policy decisions and decisive action by the US. The esteem in which the country is held by the rest of the world, and the internal divisions of US society aggravated by this presidency, strike me as potentially longer-lasting harm. And I share the Atlantic writer's dim hope that Trump's overall incompetence will be a limit on the harm he ultimately is able to effect. Fuck, I'm so pissed at this is where we're at.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

gah

Quote from: sunrisevt on September 26, 2018, 10:45:13 AM
"Bad but not irreversible" seems (hopefully) accurate as far as policy decisions and decisive action by the US. The esteem in which the country is held by the rest of the world, and the internal divisions of US society aggravated by this presidency, strike me as potentially longer-lasting harm. And I share the Atlantic writer's dim hope that Trump's overall incompetence will be a limit on the harm he ultimately is able to effect. Fuck, I'm so pissed at this is where we're at.

I think he has enough people in place and in positions of power that the changes they're creating will be felt long after he is gone from office and from this planet. He's simply a front and his incompetence a great cover for the GOP's other underhanded ploys to continue to take place out of the publics eye while we all watch and are entertained by the clown.

mbw

holy fuck is anyone listening to this press conference.
dude is fucking quackers.

gah

Quote from: mbw on September 26, 2018, 05:38:17 PM
holy fuck is anyone listening to this press conference.
dude is fucking quackers.

didn't see it. but the late night guys were having a field day with it...and it was still going on while a lot of them were taping...so tonight i'm sure they'll have more material...but i might go back and watch the original footage...just for the laughs.

sunrisevt

"The Kavanaugh Hearings: Tamtrum of the Mediocre White Men"

Look for it on Lifetime.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sunrisevt on September 27, 2018, 06:42:09 PM

Look for it on Lifetime.

LMFAO!!!!
:clap:

And I say get the crybaby to take a poly.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Thrillhouse

Today was gross. That hearing was gross. Im glad they postponed Rod and Trumps meeting though.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

gah

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on September 27, 2018, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on September 27, 2018, 06:42:09 PM

Look for it on Lifetime.

LMFAO!!!!
:clap:

And I say get the crybaby to take a poly.

the dude is a douche. and he knows it. and now everyone in the country knows it.

dr. ford on the other hand....brilliant.

gah

^^^ Now THAT is brilliant!  :clap: :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

HILARIOUS!!!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.