News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

09/14 - Champlain Valley Exposition - Essex Junction, VT - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, September 14, 2011, 11:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

2011-09-14
Champlain Valley Exposition
Essex Junction, VT

Soundcheck:  Jam, Midnight Confessions, Ginseng Sullivan, Silent Night (on Theremin), "Too Much Fried Dough at the Fair" (Jam), Peaches en Regalia, Cannonball tease, Jam

Set One:  Chalk Dust Torture, The Moma Dance > NICU, Funky Bitch, Sample in a Jar, Cavern, Bathtub Gin, Alaska, Possum, Wolfman's Brother > Julius

Set Two: Carini* > Down with Disease > Slave to the Traffic Light > Rock and Roll > Twist > Backwards Down the Number Line, Theme From the Bottom > Suzy Greenberg > Character Zero

Encore:  Loving Cup

Notes:  This special performance was a benefit for flood relief efforts in Vermont the wake of Hurricane Irene. The show was preceded by an announcement from Vermont Governor, Peter Shumlin who thanked the crowd for their support and spoke about additional ways people could get involved in the flood relief effort.

* Dedicated to Pete Carini and his wife

rowjimmy

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 14, 2011, 11:10:22 PM
Quality b-day rawk.

Show was good rock.  I'll have to listen to it again to form a better opinion, but I thought that Moma, Gin, Slave, and Twist were all pretty solid.  I kept hoping for the Oye Como Va to materialize out of Twist though.....

I didn't get this in on the LST thread, but it seemed appropriate given the last round of pictures. 

My ghetto solution to keeping my laptop cool for the whole show.  It tends to overheat on long video playback.

mbw

Quote from: nab on September 14, 2011, 11:15:50 PM
My ghetto solution to keeping my laptop cool for the whole show.  It tends to overheat on long video playback.

like wire and ice.

nab

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 14, 2011, 11:20:04 PM

like wire and ice.

Nice!

The ceramic sauce dish acts as a conduit, exchanging hot and cold around the cooling unit.  The size of the dish allows for enough airflow while at the same time being close enough to cool the air going into the intake fan. 

rowjimmy

GBL

1st set looks meh, 2nd set looks yeah!

Hoping everyone in attendance had a blast!

:wtu:
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Multibeast12

I think it was that deck box of magic cards you used that did it............ I have the same one.........
Also is that a saviours of kamigawa deck i see. Sorry to nerd it up

On a phish note, Carini sounded nice, listened to it on the app. it's up on lp

Gumbo72203

Quote from: GBL on September 14, 2011, 11:38:42 PM
1st set looks meh, 2nd set looks yeah!

Hoping everyone in attendance had a blast!

:wtu:

Dude.  That first set.  Fucking, bonkz0rz'd.  The whole show ruled face.  There were a ton of actual like, fucking GLEE moments for me.  Like, wish-fulfillment Phish.  "they're doing it", Phish.  Getting what I want Phish. 

This was a standout show.  And by that I mean, the songs they played.... these versions stand out.  There are things in them, things I remember, and which make them different and unique.  I know nobody will believe me, but even Sample peaked hard.  I didn't know the universe let those kinds of things happen. 

Anyway, the first set was fucking exclamation-piont concision.  I was a little bummed, because in Chalkdust, the "deep shift" happened a couple times, but the 4 of them seemed to not be locked in enough to instantaneously pick up on it.  Moma, a little rough and out of practice, but very good. 

NICU - uhhh, some greasy turd kept talking to me during this about how I should go see the Disco Biscuits more.  More on this douche later...

Funky Bitch - well played, Page's first solo kicked it, and Trey's was jumping white lights.  Rawk, and awesome. 

Sample - Bummer.  The first kind of "thoughtful" break.  But it was really well-played, I texted sunrise about how listening to Mike's bassline only makes this a better song, haha.  But then Trey and the solo....  sheesh.  Energy like crazy.  Fanning, bonkerz guitar/Pay Jorgan tandem.

Cavern - Hadn't heard it in a while, so cool.  It was very well played, I think Trey goofed a few words, but the breaks at the end were awesome.

Gin - Oh yeah.  Fucking smackdown-layage pressure peaking that wouldn't end.  This was the first of the greatest moments of the show; the jam just...  kept going.  It was so cool to witness this in person, the way the band has developed.  The group tension build up is so effortless now, they can just play it and wind it up.  But the main thing was that, there were multiple phases of the latter part of the jam where normally Trey would think "okay, enough" and slam into the end.  But he kept going.  So sick.

Alaska - Damnit.  But here is another example of "standout" because the start of this jam had Trey reaching deep for only a couple notes, and letting them well up and fly.  It was so cool to watch that.  He let the phrases speak for themselves, rather than filling them up with lots of notes. 

Possum - Well, not totally psyched but... i like Possum.  This one felt only slightly awkward; it was definitely "forced" in that they kind of let Kuroda play the band in terms of determining when the "up-shifts" in the jam happened.  You could tell exactly when it was going to come, and it was a little jagged in terms of not completely smoothly sailing into each subsequent ascension.  Still great, tons of fun, but totally perfunctory.  Its interesting though because this is exactly why i remember it, because it was so...  "low jam energy" abruptly into "mid-level energy" with crazy lights into "Trey fanning peak".

Wolfmans - Fucking compositional jamming orgasm.  Trey... is good.  again.  He led this jam, and fucking made it something.  He kept switching between doing this sick funk thing for like, maybe 8 measures, and then doing a thematic solo section, then dropping back to the funk.  this back and forth happened at least 3 times.  It was fucking cool.  Again, though, there were a number of "deep shifts" in this, especially one point where Mike leads a modulation and Trey follows but couldn't quite drop the main Wolfman's chord notes from his licks, so that kept Page from fully jumping off, so it didn't end up materializing the way it couldve.  Still, this was fucking incredible.  Best Wolfman's I've ever seen, without a doubt, and may be top 3 of 3.0.  Also, the start was fucking !!!! with Trey on clean funk guitar, and Fishman doing his sneakers-in-the-dryer fill from the 11/16/97 version or whatever is bonus on the 11/17/97 LP release. 

Julius - fucking YES.  Again, song-wise nothing great; but the jam....  !!!!  They jammed "quietly".  For like a few minutes, at least; it was so cool.  I was waiting for them to drop to absolute silence cuz the audience was letting them.  And then just when you thought they were going to....  "WHAAAAATTTTT  BROOO NO WAYYYY AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" and fucking Greasy Turd Douche ruins the vibe and fucking will not stop having this obnoxiously loud conversation with someone.  Ugh.  Thankfully Phish started playing loud enough to drown him out, but man... he seriously ruined a brilliant moment. 

Set 1, a couple keep-it-short-ers to start off, but serious tension climbing release hose.  Most songs had actual Trey-shred, not the mid-paced KDF solo type playing where is all slow. 

Set 2:

Carini - OH YEAHHHHHH the JAMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SPACE!!!!!!!!!   omg this was so incredible; it jammed, and went out.  and sparkled with gnarly noise. 

Disease - My first.  Did NOT disappoint.  Holy shit was this incredible.  Pay Jorgan MVP like for total ser.  Buggin.  Straight BUGGIN on the fucking sick jamming of this Disease.  PAY JORGAN!!!!!  This is what I had always wanted to experience, the deep jamming where you KNOW its going to keep going.  It was so incredible. 

Slave - I actually started crying.  Like, haha.  I'm totally serious.  It was just like, seriously?  Yeah?  This version may not have been the best, but its placement was just.... perfect.  And just the realization of Phish being back and so good again just kind of overwhelmed me.

Rock and Roll - Way short.  Still fun, and well played, but I remember the jam being totally short and to the point; like one big main "waaazaahhh" peak and then over.  my memory is a little foggy tho. 

Twist - another first, I think.  This was great too, a little shorter than I'd like, but had a lot of great jamming. 

Number Line - totally enjoyable, well-played.  Unfortunately, by this time in the set, I had amassed this group of like, 5 hot chicks dancing around me.  I was the only one who kept really keeping the boogie going, and i was raging it hardcore, and they all seemed to like that...  they were fucking getting freaky together.  I wish I wasn't as beat as I was at the end of the set, because.... they totally wanted it.  God damnit.

Suzy/Theme/Zero/Loving Cup - sure, why not.  I have these hot chicks fucking shoving their asses into my dick, and its awesome.  Play whatever the fuck you want, just don't screw up and don't drop the beat.  And they didn't.  And I thank them for that. 

Highlights:  Gin, Wolfmans, Julius, Carini, Disease are the BIG ones, but the show was really good all over.  So happy I was there.

AND, and, I ran into this chick I graduated high school with and hadn't seen since graduation.  We went to jr. prom together, it was so fucking cool seeing her again.  I just happened to turn around.... and there she was.  Totally awesome.  She lives in Vermont now, hadn't seen them since Coventry...  she dug it. 

Okay I need fucking sleep now holy shit. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mistercharlie

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 15, 2011, 01:08:01 AM

I think it was that deck box of magic cards you used that did it............ I have the same one.........

No need to apologize for nerding it up. Magic is fun. I've been playing the new Duel of the Plainswalkers 2012 on xbox360 lately, they just released an expansion for it yesterday.

And about the music, I haven't heard a note but will give this show a listen later today.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

I was not psyched about this show at all.  Was expecting much bigger things  for the VT phamily.

Julius was probably the highlight for me.  R&R~>Twist was brutal.  My least favorite show of the tour other than maybe Hollywood Bowl.

I can't believe I just hated that much.... what's happening to me!  :crazy:

ETA: obviously I still had tons of fun and it was great to see all of you paugers.  I hope you had a fucking great time SuperFreakie!  Vermont is a beautiful place!
Bring in the dude!

DoW

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 15, 2011, 06:40:28 AM
I was not psyched about this show at all.  Was expecting much bigger things  for the VT phamily.

Julius was probably the highlight for me.  R&R~>Twist was brutal.  My least favorite show of the tour other than maybe Hollywood Bowl.

I can't believe I just hated that much.... what's happening to me!  :crazy:
welcome to the dark side.
yeah, I wasn't sure why people were raising their expectations because it was in VT and a benefit.  it's still a 3.0 show.

I personally thought the show was alright, but my expectations are pretty low.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: bvaz on September 15, 2011, 06:44:36 AM
yeah, I wasn't sure why people were raising their expectations because it was in VT and a benefit.  it's still a 3.0 show.

true.  I may have set myself up for disappointment on this one.

It was mostly just the setlist/repeated songs/flow that killed it for me.  Playing was decent throughout.

The Zero was... weird.
Bring in the dude!

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

nab

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 15, 2011, 05:21:05 AM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 15, 2011, 01:08:01 AM

No need to apologize for nerding it up. Magic is fun. I've been playing the new Duel of the Plainswalkers 2012 on xbox360 lately, they just released an expansion for it yesterday.

And about the music, I haven't heard a note but will give this show a listen later today.

Been playing on the 360 as well.

We should get together and play some time. 

Sorry for taking over the PSR thread.  Never thought there was enough interest in MTG here to start a thread.