News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/28 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by emay, December 28, 2011, 11:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Set 1: Free, Glide > Possum, Cities, Ballad of Curtis Lowe, Stash, Contact, Sample In A Jar, Kill Devil Falls, Bathtub Gin,

Set 2: Birds Of A Feather, Carini > Tweezer* > My Friend, My Friend > Rock N Roll > NICU, Bouncin Around the Room, Harry Hood > Bug

E: Tube > Rocky Top > Tweeprise

*Streets of Cairo Tease

BOOM!
night 1

emay

Hood, RnR, Carini > Tweezer and the encore were best parts IMO...rest is pretty good 3.0.

ytowndan

I didn't tune in until NICU, but the little bit I heard sounded pretty good.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Lifeboy

Didn't watch the stream, not did I keep up with the setlist.

a 20 + song show. Shocker! Overall, I'm less than psyched, but there are a few segments I'm interested in hearing. Encore looks kinda cool/different.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

emay

McGrupp

Cities was cool. Stash was pretty weak. Mostly everything was played well, and the energy in the garden was through the roof.

This will be a good run.

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

danje

Decent show, Cities and Carini were sick. New Garden is lame.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

phil

Quote from: McGrupp on December 29, 2011, 03:00:50 AM
Stash was pretty weak

I went to get beers during stash. I'm not sorry I missed it. I thought last night was super solid. As I'm sure will be repeated ad nauseam, that Tweezer was something else. Good Shit.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

sophist

:phish:

2011-12-28
The Garden
The City

Set I 

Free-  Nice start.  You can hear the rust being shaken off with this one.  Nothing special though.
Glide- Vocally, this one is rough in my opinion.  Is it just me or does it get a little heavier than usual? 
Possum-  3 song warm up.  Now they get kickin'.   Some 3.0 Trey rippage gets the Garden rocking.  Good version.  It sounds tight, again, nothing special though. 
Cities- First real crowd pleaser.  The roar of the crowd before Free starts sounds insane, and this one brings that level of enthusiasm back up to that par.  Some flubs in the composed section, but nothing major.  Very chill intro into the jam.  Trey's on point.  They sound good here.  Nice group interaction.  Trey has some really good arpeggio lines, and he's playing off Page nicely.  Page with the clav.  Nice touch.  Very piston esque sounding Plinko funk.  This could of gone somewhere in my opinion.   They abort for Leow though.  That's a shame.  I liked what was going on with the jam.   It gets kind of dark.  I like the whaling (non whale call) tones by Trey around the end of the jam.  This also exemplifies what drives me mad about 3.0.  Its really like they have completely forgotten what it is like to play without a net.  You can't fuck up a fizzle out, which is what I am thinking they always do, its the safe way to end a jam. 
Curtis Loew- interesting placement.  decent version.  Vocally, it is kind of rough.
Stash- eh.  They go for it.  It falls flat.  Huge miss with the tension build up in this one.  It never reaches the level of tension it had the potential too.  On a high note, lots of good fishman playing here.   
Contact- puttin' me to sleep. 
Sample- meh.  Trifecta of suck completes. 
KDF- RAWK PEAKZ.  Some nice 3.0 shreddage. 
Gin- Excellent intro work by Page.  This one gets kicking early.  Nice interplay early on in the jam.  Very melodic stuff by Trey.  Nice build up in the jam.  Nice turn to hit the RAWK peak.  overall, a good gin, and what I would label as a decent set of Phish. 

Set break. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sophist

Set II. 

BOAF-  Very rough start.  lots of flubs in the opening.  0 -> RAWK PEAK in no time.  Very rocked out version. 
Carini- DARK.  Good version, solid composed section.  This was for the people on doses.  Very psychedelic.  Trey channels Hendrix at a few points in this jam.  Excellent wah work.  I'm glad to see this back in the rotation of effects versus that whammy pedal.  Excellent shift to melodic territory.  Fucking dope execution there.  Page led section.  Very serene feel.  That's real Phish.  Sweet segue into Tweezer. 
Tweezer- Shit's churning at full capacity now.  Digging the stop-start in this- they nail it.  Very loose, very flowing.  Jam takes off rather quickly.  Very tight.  Some interesting ideas by Trey.  Page pushes this jam though.  It quickly deviates from the main theme.  Fish kills it here.  His beat is very cool.  I dig this.  I don't know how I would describe it, kind of like a half speed plinko esque jam.  Segue into RAWK peak.  Eh.  It sounds good, but I could of done without the rock peak.  Fades into
MFMF-  solid composed section.  good version. 
RnR-  Interesting segue into this.  Upbeat version.  Soaring jam -> plinko territory -> space.  Not bad.  Predictable, but not bad. 
NICU- standard. 
Bouncin- Standard
Hood- decent.  I like the Hood from Worchester last year more. 
Bug- Solid. 

Encore-
Tube- meh. 
Rocky Top-  eh. 
Tweezprise- nice cap off. 

Overall, some really good moments mixed in with some bland ones.  The one thing I did walk away from this show thinking is that they sound a lot better to me than this summer.  Which is a very good thing. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy