News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W09: 08-01-1998 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

Started by VA $l!m, July 10, 2006, 11:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

me too.
i am listening to the 2nd set in my headphones, and it actually sounds really good to me.these are the files i upped, but i think jedi and i have the same source.
honestly, i would rather have something with more bass than hardly any.
that way, i can adjust the bass and still have it sound punchy.
it one of my recordings lack mike, i wind up out o' lux.
a

you know i love this show!

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on July 13, 2006, 01:18:36 PM
sorry slim, thats all i had...

NONONNONO... im not sayin anyhin to you...
honestly i dunno  what source i have... i got it awhile from Aug which he  got off etree... i'm assumin there is only one... am i wrong??
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

there seem to be 3 sources that are in circ, but 2 of them are quite similar...
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on July 13, 2006, 01:23:04 PM
there seem to be 3 sources that are in circ, but 2 of them are quite similar...
thanks... guess i could check that out...

mainly i'm think a nice crispy SBd would do this show a LOT of justice!!

thanks again for the help!! :-D

VA $l!m

MEANWHLE on SLim's IM........

rowjimmyskb:  ahhh
rowjimmyskb:  i never found that show to be remarkable
rowjimmyskb:  iirc
JGHEASTON:  the source i have pissie me off though
rowjimmyskb:  asdie from the fact that they played esther and random covers
JGHEASTON:  we are debating it on the week right now...
yeah i used to think it wasnt good... my opinion changes w/ the weather....
JGHEASTON:  thats why i chose it
JGHEASTON:  debatable
rowjimmyskb:  i just don't think that it stands out as being better than the par for the tour
rowjimmyskb:  the bar was set high throughout the summer
JGHEASTON:  i might agree...
but i also think it goes to show how strong the tour was

August

rj is wrong!
i can see how it is debateable, but in no way is it a bad show.
i love it no matter what \
top 5 attended!
a

VA $l!m

Quote from: august on July 13, 2006, 01:31:39 PM
rj is wrong!
i can see how it is debateable, but in no way is it a bad show.
i love it no matter what \
top 5 attended!
a

i cant' make up my mind... i'm through GUIYUTE on headphones right now

VA $l!m

alright set1.

Ramble On: nice.
Mikes: hot.
Esther: Phat.
Week: Groovin'.
guyute: guyute.
Fikus: dreamy.
Birds: hot version... yes this is aPAGE Set take notice!! they all F-- up the ending though... twice... maybe thats a sign of a good birds.
Lawn BOy: honestly i could swap a 93 version w/ a 2003 version and i wouldnt notice.
(page set, as i said)
BITCH: THIS might be one of my fav versions i've heard...seriously,,, usually i can take or leave it... page and trey kill this one!! way to bring the energy back up.

overall... starts off like a fall 97 show,,, besides the Ramble on of course... i sort of wish the mikesgroove was longer and the set had less songs... i dont like BOAF in the middle of the 1st set... honestly i dont know where it fits best... second set opener maybe??

anyway,  i'll take this for a 1st set... definitely had an energy.

jedifunk

off the top, i'd like to say that this was typical summer 98 (re: great)... but not one of the tours best shows, IMO...

ok, after a few listens, heres set 1:
- ramble on: great cover choice... nice page... good way to kick off the summer of covers section of the tour...
- mikes: yup, ragin!  not as good as either 7/21 or 8/12 but a solid raging mikes. >
- esther: take it or leave it... at the show i probably would have left it, but its not bad on tape.
- week4paug: usually not a week4paug guy, but this one was pretty good.  really enjoyed the skatting type jam they had going, not quite funk but super fun.
- guyute: ehh, after fall 97 i was tired of it.
- fikus: love this tune
- birds: one of my favorite songs, this one isnt a jammer, but it rocks, and i like that, trey was really out in front... this version reaffirmed that i like birds better than chalkdust... much better jam IMO.
- lawnboy: page
- funky bitch: nice version

as has been stated, its a bit top heavy, but even the top isnt top shelf summer 98... week4paug was the high point (ramble on is great for what it is).  and i enjoyed birds.

i'm on the 2nd set now...

and i'll just say that this piper is how piper was meant to be!  you can keep all your sick jams (or put them into other songs) but IMO piper is about the build up... its quiet, a bit dainty even, just fluttering along, as it builds and builds and builds, reaches for the stars, sustains, then outro...  brings me to tears...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Quote from: jedifunk on July 13, 2006, 02:22:25 PM
and i'll just say that this piper is how piper was meant to be!  you can keep all your sick jams (or put them into other songs) but IMO piper is about the build up... its quiet, a bit dainty even, just fluttering along, as it builds and builds and builds, reaches for the stars, sustains, then outro...  brings me to tears...

Yes! So, I'm not completely alone here. I don't need 28-minute Pipers. Nail the buildup, let it go for a couple miutes, then reel it back it. Doesn't need to be more than 7-10 minutes.  Maybe I should give this one another chance before moving on . . . b/c honestly, when I heard the opening, I put my ears on autopilot and waited for the signal that the next song was starting.
Cause I got a degree

VA $l!m

set break(for me):
note: the source i have has a funny little crowd noise at beginning of set2-- a girl can be heard saying: "DOn't you feel like you are working?"--to the taper i assume-- funny.

anyway, while piper starts up in my ears, here's partt of my story from this show:

I left St louis after being shut out  :cry: and switched rides for the 6th time this tour, the crew i was with made the decision to skip ohio, and head straight to Alpine...

after spendin the night in a hotee on the highway in ILLinois(?) sellin jesus L to locals at the trucj stop and gettin sloshed of super schwill cheap Vodka, the next day we went to madison, then the next to alpine-- got out in the lot and the guy who's ride it was jumped out and off to do some "sales"-- we were broke, all of us... he got busted in less than 5 min. on the lot... that set the tone for the day,,, no more Bizziness!... spent the day walkin around helpin his girl spange for bail $ :|... we talked to Mike in the lot, she actually had the nerve to ask him for loot :roll:... anyway, we werent really in the mood for a show, but, when in ROme... so we all had these computer copy fakes some dude gave us, and all got in off them... cool.

jedifunk

yeah, even though, the latter year and PH pipers had massively sick jams that came out of them, i thought the soul of the song was laid to waste... they kept reworking it, until it wasnt piper anymore... its like they put piper on steroids to get it to go far enough out that they could jam it consistently... unfortunate.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

VA $l!m

SET2
1.Piper:
Perfect set 2 opener, great energy... release... into—
2.WILsom!: this version kicks major ass. Heavy metal!!!! This is the point at which you should stand up and take notice; they are not F—in around here.  Let's Get It ON!!!!
...is that Bowie I hear??...no...
3.2001: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyeahhh , fender trill just gave me chills—summer 98...hmmm good...
Spacey good, in the pocket 2001... but damnit short!!... great segue into>
4. MAgilla... the pocket continues!! Very tight boyz! Havin fun tonite!... weird ass setlits I have to admit-ha! But tight! And w/ a 2001 outro—right into>
5.Tweezer!((—well right now re-listening to this and knowing the set... I'm thinking what I was thinking in the 1st set... I think I would like this show even More IF the Big songs—ie Mikesgroove, 2001, Tweez, etc, were even loooonger versions, and they left out all the extraneous songs))
Anywy—TWEEZER—after the Lyrical section, settles right into another great sum 98 funk pocket just like 2001... then a slight key shift...ooooo... I'm floatin... this is DEF summ 98...I dig this stuff... this is the type of Tweez I dig...groovy, dancey...then alittle delay loopy—Louder...pull back.......chill...straight groove at this point(14mm)... not goin anywhere unfamiliar, but I like that,,, but Wait a damn min...(16mm) whats this?? Something...no an end??,..uhhhh...trippy...uh...where are we going?...
Awww yeahhh...
6.>>>FLUffHEad--IMO, THIS IS A Perfect And sicK transition/placement!!
And this version KiCKS BUTTOCKS!—very tight composed stuff for 98—they really pulled their butts outta that tweezspacefunk Good!—oooo Page hits that Hammond lick good(6:45mm)... he's all over this show..."check itout."(trey-7:56mm)

This song is the Peak of the show for me... AND all this show lacks to really put it over the top for me, despite some of the un-extended jams, is an Antelope...—instead of the Chalk/Frank combo.

--Nuff Said.

-Slim.

jephrey

I agree with the piper sentiments.  So much better when it was about the buildup.  I used to like it sooooo much more than I ended up with it in 2000.  But that's cool.  Shit can't always change the way I want it too, and There were good Pipers even after it lost its signature long buildup.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.