News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W16: 04-09-1993 State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN

Started by thelot, August 28, 2006, 12:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelot

I wanted my pick to be a show that hopefully nobody has heard yet. Enjoy! :beers:

ps: thanks to disco for providing the shn's and mp3's for your listening pleasure. Oh yes, and be sure to watch out for Mr. Cookiehead! :-D

A little picture of the beautiful State Theatre...

cactusfan

i for one have never heard any show from 2/30.

disco

BBQ jam

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xku8jr

show

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mn2k2h

my notes say that 2-30 always falls on a tuesday & that the BBQ was before the show, not after as previously thought

torrent
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=29284
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

bacchist

Quote from: cactusfan on August 28, 2006, 01:50:30 AM
i for one have never heard any show from 2/30.

it's well known that fishman refuses to play on february 30 due to religious obligations
Rebuilding...

xanadux3

i'm totally confused....when did phish ever play in 2001??
and shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite

sophist

Quote from: disco on August 28, 2006, 02:46:06 AM
BBQ jam

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xku8jr

show

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mn2k2h

my notes say that 2-30 always falls on a tuesday & that the BBQ was before the show, not after as previously thought

torrent
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=29284
alright you got me! Good one, I really was in awe that a "secret" show existed, but a tight 93 show is even better.  Thanks for sharing disco, and lot good pick!!!!
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

gainesvillegreen

Clarity...As I was confused as well

PHiSH
04-09-93 State Theater, Minneapolis, MN

source: sbd>cass>dat
transfered: tascam da20 mkII>za2>wav>shn using soundforge and cdwav.

this is definitely a sbd recording. i had to edit out tapeflips at around 47 minutes into each set, therefor proving to me it is a sbd. it was labeled to me as only 1 cass gen, and the only really irritating analog hiss is between songs, and when it is really quiet, other than that this recording sounds really sweet!
this is one of those classic great second sets where you can tell that the band could have cared less if there was an audience, they were just haveing a hell of a good time entertaining themselves. a must have in my opinion!!!

DISC 2 IS SET 2 IN IT'S ENTIRETY AND IS TRACKED FOR AN ****80 min CD****

enjoy!!!
jimmy sellers
pjimmy@delanet.com

disc 1:
set 1:
1.Chalk Dust Torture
2.Sparkle
3.Guelah Papyrus
4.Stash
5.The Horse->
6.Silent in the Morning
7.Maze
8.I Didn't Know
9.It's Ice
10.The Divided Sky
11.Cavern

disc 2: ***REQUIRES AN 80min CD***
set 2:
1.Buried Alive (faded in abruptly,probably the first second or two of music are missing)
2.Suzy Greenberg
3.All Things Reconsidered
4.Llama
5.Mound
6.My Friend My Friend
7.You Enjoy Myself
8.My Sweet One
9.big ball jam
10.HYHU-> Love You-> HYHU
11.Possum
Encore:
Sweet Adeline (not included, completely inaudible)
12.Golgi Apparatus

disco

you gotta whatch out for those sneaky peeps

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

bacchist

just got home from work, giving this show a listen for the first time.  really digging on the stash.  nice pick.
Rebuilding...

susep

Stash? asks Trey>"plz don't do that!">Trey leads in at 4:48, no wasting in time in stating his direction>its this kind of playing that was so appealing about the band, sonic exploration.  The jam quiets a bit, Fish's ride nice and bright>around 7:00 the jam drops, or least Trey does>the rythym/fill section sounds nice in this SBD>nice jam here, Trey typhooning underneath, howling, synopocation, Trey rising subtlely, collective jam before Trey pulls out into Stash modality sculpting a release.  Excellent version.

Maze>more tension after a Horse>Silent release>2:34 attack, Machine Gun Trey>Pagezone>B3 action, Page not sounding bluesy like most of his Hammond compatriots>driving chords, pushing the jam, Trey chording frantically underneath, nice one>Trey flying out of the gate>precision building of ideas, bending, nice progression of octaves>more bluesier then Page's series, the Stones no doubt playing a part>ripping outro runs.  Another solid jam highlighting the Anastasio/Page fury.

ATR>great tune, I can see how repeated listenings might get old but variety is key, this is the nerd side of  :phish:
Llama w/ subtle Fish Syd-esque screech>compact Maze(same key, A?)>
I'd like to note Trey's solid rythym playing, from the beginning I thought Trey's rythym playing was off the charts i.e Lizards et al. 
Sirens screaming, howling>intense soloing by Trey.
Acoustic My Friend>always good to hear, nice, random scream :-D>
excellent rythym by Page, Fish, Mike>nice version>
YEM?, ...1234>bliss> Trey coming in at 9:11, Page playing well, Trey chording off Page, nice groove here before Trey leads in Page back on the ivories>bluesy riff, patient jamming, Fish's ride nicely audible>classic for the era>
MSO>mini-Fish suite, funny version.
Nothing too spectacular here but Stash and Maze rage w/ Stsh being the showhighlight. 
Grade: B-

gainesvillegreen

Damn Susep, that was all very....Joycean.  Karma!

sls.stormyrider

solid 93 show
BTW thelot gets 2nd prize for hoax of the board (aug gets 1st prize for "They're Back")

sound check-fun to listen to, interesting how they checked pyscho killer. like the wedge and can't you hear me knockin tease
Set 1
Chalkdust-good starter, rips
Stash-typical excellent 93 version, page doing some great stuff in the background with trey on fire
horse>silent -good
maze-great jam with hot solos by page and trey
%Sky-really liked this version, loved trey's solo after the "silence" section

set2
Buried Alive-tight, well played, typical 93
Suzy-very good, another Stairway to Heaven tease in trey's solo
ATR-I like this one, nice fugue
MFMF-acoustic, good
YEM-highlight of the show. loved the Fish/Trey duo, then again the bass/drums. Great Fishman. Cookie man
MSO-seemed even more uptempo then usual
Possum-rocked
Golgi-also seemed at a faster tempo. I liked it.

Overall, solid 93 show, great example of the era. Tight playing by the band with good energy. No long jams, but then it's 93. Put into that context : A-
thanks to thelot for choosing and disco for seeding :beers:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

katzie

I didn't hear any Psycho Killer, did you mean Take Me To The River?

susep

Quote from: lifeandhowtoliveit on August 30, 2006, 04:46:30 PM
I didn't hear any Psycho Killer, did you mean Take Me To The River?

Its in there, you can hear Trey strumming the chords.