News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

true, sort of.
but Spitzer was prosecuting prosecution rings and going after hi profile johns.
wtf was he thinking, that nobody would find out he was doing the same thing as the bad guys he was chasing?
I don't expect politicians to be perfect, I do expect them to pass the stupid test.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

okelnard

I know healthcare reform is a serious subject and it needs to be addressed but.... this is actually really close to being part of our problem.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?" - Taggart

"We liked number 217."  - Trey

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on August 28, 2009, 10:01:12 AM
true, sort of.
but Spitzer was prosecuting prosecution rings and going after hi profile johns.
wtf was he thinking, that nobody would find out he was doing the same thing as the bad guys he was chasing?
I don't expect politicians to be perfect, I do expect them to pass the stupid test.

True, I have not read much about his ativities against other crime. I have spent my time mostly reading his regulatory proposals and his actions against white collar crime. It's hard to pass the stupid test when johnson keeps getting in the way.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

well, you know what they say about
a stiff one having no conscience
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Interesting study by Forbes released today: Most medicated (determined by the rate of prescription drug use) states per capita:

10) Iowa
09) Mississippi
08) Louisiana
07) Kentucky
06) Missouri
05) Arkansas
04) Tennessee
03) South Carolina
02) Alabama
01) West Virginia

Dr. Jane Barlow, vice president of medical strategy and clinical quality for Medco Health Solutions ( MHS - news - people ), one of the nation's largest pharmacy benefit manager, says there's a reason these states use more medication: Their rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes are higher than the national average, particularly in West Virginia.

:|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

guyforget

thats a pretty disturbing statistic.  wv is the 3rd most overweight state, down from first and second in years passed, but not because we got any healthier, but because mississippi and whoever else got heavier. 

if you come to wv, its noticeable how many people are overweight.  when we were in colorado we were all like "wheres the fat people?"

poverty, lack of education, distrust of authority, etc, etc, all play a large role.  its really disturbing when you see 3 and 5 year olds w/ candy bars and mountain dew walking out of wal-mart.  its also part of our culture, though the food habits have stuck around, the nature of work and even the work ethic has changed. 

my restaurant doesnt have a deep fryer and we never use butter.  no wonder why we're not raking in the $$$$$'s.   

-AD_

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

i love some butter, too, nothing against it.  i am a southerner, after all.  however, in the context of many commercial kitchens it is hugely overused, and not just for saute, either. 
-AD_

okelnard

Quote from: Hicks on August 31, 2009, 12:10:12 PM
butter rules.

Butter and/or Olive oil.... the only way to go. Gotta go with the "anything in moderation" mentality.

"If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of shit."  - Robert Anton Wilson

guyforget

when you make a sauce that starts w/ a pound or two of butter (as many do), then dunk all of the steaks in butter before they hit the plate (which tons of places do, its an old trick for poor cooks), then hit it w/ some of that sauce, and then put a potato (something else we dont do, potatoes) on the plate w/ butter and sour cream, and then some saute some veggies in butter... 

you can see how it gets out of hand.  i do love some butter, but its widely overused in many commercial applications. 

granted, i cook primarily latin cuisine, which is lighter on the butter than more traditional (french) style cuisine. 

-AD_

okelnard

Quote from: guyforget on August 31, 2009, 12:14:55 PM
when you make a sauce that starts w/ a pound or two of butter (as many do), then dunk all of the steaks in butter before they hit the plate (which tons of places do, its an old trick for poor cooks), then hit it w/ some of that sauce, and then put a potato (something else we dont do, potatoes) on the plate w/ butter and sour cream, and then some saute some veggies in butter... 

I could feel my arteries clogging while I read that... yeah, one reason I buy steaks and cook them myself (with the excpetion of special occasions where we go to Churasco's or Fogo de Chao).  Went to Outback steakhouse once. ugh - hollandaise all over everything! Now I'm hungry.... Thai food today!

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: antelope19 on August 31, 2009, 11:56:02 AM
Interesting study by Forbes released today: Most medicated (determined by the rate of prescription drug use) states per capita:

10) Iowa
09) Mississippi
08) Louisiana
07) Kentucky
06) Missouri
05) Arkansas
04) Tennessee
03) South Carolina
02) Alabama
01) West Virginia

Dr. Jane Barlow, vice president of medical strategy and clinical quality for Medco Health Solutions ( MHS - news - people ), one of the nation's largest pharmacy benefit manager, says there's a reason these states use more medication: Their rates of heart disease, obesity and diabetes are higher than the national average, particularly in West Virginia.

Every State except Iowa and Missouri are southern states... How strange...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Hicks on August 26, 2009, 12:56:06 PM
I recommend reading the article by Matt Taibbi in the new Rolling Stone with the Beatles on the cover.

Once again he hits the nail on the head and exposes our leaders as the frauds they truly are and how big of a cluster-f this whole process of healthcare "reform" has become.

just read that.
good article - maddening stuff
the only way something worthwhile can happen is if Obama goes to the Hill and kicks some ass. don't think that will happen, and even if it does...